1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Time lapse with GH3 and 7-14 at 7.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Mike Ronesia, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    I decided to try out the time lapse feature on my GH3 this last weekend. There was a full moon so I thought it would be good to see what I could get. Here it is on Vimeo and I'll add below what I wrote on it.

[video=vimeo;86872928]https://vimeo.com/86872928[/video]

This is my first attempt at time lapse. It is about 16hrs. & 2,200 shots from 5 in the evening until 11 the next morning. It was a full moon with scattered clouds so good light most of the night. We have a street light that goes on and off a lot so the trees look a little odd during the night portion.

I went with Aperture priority and let the camera adjust shutter speed and ISO for the varying lighting conditions, with a max ISO of 1600. I set focus to manual and almost, but not quiet infinity. The camera took a shot every 30 seconds. I then made a couple of minor adjustments in LR 5.3 that I applied to all of the shots, just to keep it simple and saved them at 1080 x 1920 and set max file size to 300k per photo. I then imported into Premiere Elements and set each shot to 1 frame at 30p. I hope the Vimeo compression doesn't mess it up too bad, the 50mb saved file looks very nice.

Note: It does look much better viewing the file strait from the computer after rendering then it does after Vimeo compressed it, but still gives you the jist of it.

• Like Like x 5
  2. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Very nice. I am going to have to try time lapse.

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    good stuff!

Time lapse can create some really amazing stuff. Have you seen this time lapse video?
    http://vimeo.com/80836225
    crazy awesome stuff!

4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    sorry for dumb question, but how long does your battery last to allow you to go away for the entire night and the camera just keeps shooting? 16 hrs? 2.200 images? That seems like a lot...

nice timelapse, the dog at the end was a nice touch ;)

5. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    nice video!
    wow

that puzzles me too...

6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Very nice, and solidly impressive for a first TL.

To the question of power - the GH3 supports an external power connector.

• Like Like x 1
  7. undergrd

undergrd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Singapore
    Nice!

Makes me wanna try time lapse too :)

8. Mike Ronesia

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    Battery life depends a lot on the shot. The longer exposure night shots drain it quicker then day shots. That said, ac power would be best if available. I didn't have that, but I do have the grip and 2 batteries. I set the camera to use the grip battery first because it is removable while mounted on the tripod. When it was spent the camera switched to the main battery and I pulled the grip battery and charged it. So I had 2 battery's and 3 charges for the full run. If I do a long one again, I'll most likely only use the grip and just swap back and forth with one charging while the other one is shooting or get the ac adapter.

I think a key to it looking good is to upload it without utube or vimeo so it doesn't get compressed again. This one looks much better from the original movie file on the computer. Maybe they do a better job if you have a paid account?

9. Mike Ronesia

Sep 16, 2013
    Saipan
    Mark James
    This is one of the ones that inspired me. Of course the moving camera part is more involved then I'm ready for, but it shows that if you have a paid Vimeo account they can produce a much higher quality video which is good news.