Time-lapse with Anti-shock

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Art, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been interested in doing some time-lapse video and was gonna buy a dedicated remote intervalometer until I found this. From Olympus website:

E-P3 &gt Frequently Asked Questions

Can this camera be used for time-lapse photography?

This camera's Anti-shock function can be used in conjunction with the sequential shooting drive mode to shoot time lapse photography sequences. The series of captured images can later be converted into movies using third-party software.

Anti-shock is used to delay firing the shutter after the shutter button has been pressed. This allows any vibration to dissipate before the exposure is made. Anti-shock allows intervals of up to 30 seconds to be preset.

When combined with sequential shooting, Anti-shock can be used to command the camera to shoot at preset intervals much like the way an intervalometer can control a camera. In this configuration, the camera will take the first picture when the shutter button is pressed and then it will continue to capture images at the preset interval – for example, every 5 seconds – until one of the following occurs:

•The shutter button is released.
    •The memory card capacity is reached.
    •The camera records the maximum number of images. The limit varies depending on the selected record mode and the speed of the memory card. For example, when shooting with a Toshiba SDHC UHS-I memory card (R95-W80, Premiugate series, speed class 10, 8GB), the camera can capture 17 sequential frames in the RAW record mode or up to the card capacity in the LN (Large size, Normal compression) JPEG record mode.
    Using the optional Remote Cable Release (RM-UC1) will be more convenient because the remote can be locked once the button on the remote control is pressed and the camera will continue to shoot unattended.

30sec seems like a good enough interval?
  2. AmstelBright

AmstelBright Mu-43 Regular

Yes, this works. I've used it with an improvised setup to ensure the shutter button was kept pressed (used a small coin and a piece of electronics tape), and I combined the resulting pictures into a short video using Windows Live Movie Maker. However, I just did some quick experiments - nothing worth posting here - though I still have plans for a more serious time-lapse effort sometime in the future.

I used 4 seconds intervals, but this entirely depends on what you want to achieve.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Great, I do have wireless shutter remote which has function "hold" so it's much easier. I just set it to do time-lapse in a living room (every 4 sec), lol. It's working. Pen continues to amaze me, we basically have built-in intervalometer.

P.S. For anyone considering doing time-lapse, I strongly recommend getting Olympus 2-year extended warranty which was on sale for $29 recently. It's very easy to wear off the shutter w/time-lapse.