1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Time Lapse w/Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by Art, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    My first attempt at time lapse. Good thing E-PL2 has built-in intervalometer (aka Anti-shock). There is interruption in the middle cause battery ran out.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/33132008"]Deck on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 11
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The clouds in the sky moving towards the lens is wicked! :thumbup:

3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm really hooked on this fisheye lens, it is especially suitable for video because it's at infinity focus for most uses and coverage area is huge. I also like time-lapse which is actually very easy to make (easier than editing regular video). Way to kill your shutter, lol

4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    My second attempt. Nighttime long exposure (20s) with 1s interval
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/33330442"]Deck (night) on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 6
  5. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Art,
    In the first video, somehow the second half seems smoother than the first half. Were the intervals reduced after you changed the battery?

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The intervals were actually increased due to longer exposure. I ran out of battery so when I changed it, it was too dark...
    My 2nd video is much better but I'm still
    learning. I plan to utilize time lapse when I travel (on the beach, national parks, hotel with a view, etc.) It's easy to make and it can give you the whole day of memories in a minute. My understanding is that long exposure time lapse videos look smoother. I'm about to set up E-PM1 w/Panny 20 and ND16 filter to time lapse for the day:) before I go to work.

7. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Thank you for your reply. I did try doing a time lapse a while back and failed pretty badly. I still have the photographs, I just don't know how to merge them altogether. May be I'll try it again.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Art, this is great! I did an initial test the other day with my EPM1, but I haven't set up yet to shoot the whole thing. Please keep sharing what you learn. Maybe we should start a dedicated thread to time lapse videos, lol.

My one issue is I tried it indoors, and it brings too much attention to itself. Wish there was a silent shutter :(

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Time lapse is fun and it is photography (not videography). M43 is unusable for indoor time lapse cause of very loud shutter and you do need 1s intervals for people, lol. I started using my Canon S90 indoors. It has very advanced intervalometer function with CHDK. It is completely mute and battery lasts well over 1000 shots. Of course I'd rather use Oly w/Panny 20 (or PL25) indoors as the quality of footage is on another level.

10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Since I've been doing a lot of family video over the years, I'm used to Adobe Premiere software and I do all my video editing including time lapse with it.
    I beleive you can merge pictures in Windows Movie maker or Quick Time and the like. Choose either 24 or 30fps. I like 30fps better (more realistic feel) but 24fps makes a longer film:)

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Must be an airport off to the right of the frame. The planes end up looking like missiles!:eek:

12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow, E-PM1's battery life is solid. 1917 long exposure shots (several seconds) and 6 hours with LCD off. It probably can do even more regular exposure shots.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Your rear facing neighbors really gave us a light show in the night time version!

14. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    Time lapse photography is really fun to use as I was in awe about your videos as well as I am learning more about Olympus PEN camera. I possess E-P3 camera and I am deciphering myself on how to turn off the LCD while on time lapse photography to conserve battery power and gain more shots per one battery charge instead of running out prematurely. Looking forward to hearing from you soon. thanks :smile:

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Program REC button to LCD off (menu-button function)

• Like Like x 1
  16. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    I am able to program the REC button to turn LCD off from the menu screen. Thank you for your help !!!

17. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Dumb question #13 - what software do you use for time lapse Art? Love to give it a go, but will need to buy an intervalometer for the GF1.

P.S., both were good but second one simply great!!!! :thumbup:

18. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I use Adobe Premiere for all my video editing including time lapse.