Time lapse Error

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
I am setting up time lapse for the first time. I have a fresh battery and empty memory card. I’ve turned on interval/time lapse and get a message “card full”. Tried a second card and same thing happened. When I turn off time lapse, everything is fine. Any ideas as to what’s going on?

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
What size card? What size files are you time lapsing? How many images are you saving? Maybe the camera thinks the card will not have enough capacity? Try time lapsing 100 images at the lowest resolution? What camera are you using?

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Since you are using an E-M1.2, could there be an issue in the way you have configured the dual slots? To my knowledge you can setup the slots in a way one of them only saves stills, the other only movies. I think timelapse counts as a movie and thus you might get this error message when trying to record one, yet not when taking usual stills. If you take a look at the manual page 132 you'll find a short section describing these settings. Olympus also has a short video tutorial on setting up the slots:
https://learnandsupport.getolympus.com/learn-center/photography-tips/settings/using-dual-card-slots

That's just a guess though, I don't own the E-M1.2 or other Olympus cameras with dual slots.

Susan G.

Mu-43 Regular
What size card? What size files are you time lapsing? How many images are you saving? Maybe the camera thinks the card will not have enough capacity? Try time lapsing 100 images at the lowest resolution? What camera are you using?
That worked! Thank you, thank you! E-M1 Mark II

Real Name
M@
Sounds like you're setting the timelapse to take more images than will fit on the card at the given resolution/size.

If you set the timelapse mode to take 999 images, it literally shoots nine hundred and ninety nine full images at whatever size/resolution you have the camera set to. Then it needs space to merge them into a video file.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
One last thing, you probably already know, but, shooting full resolution images time lapse, drains the battery, way quicker than low res. Like mine went from 250 pics to, like, 1200 or so. !
That was a big deal for me.

Real Name
M@
One last thing, you probably already know, but, shooting full resolution images time lapse, drains the battery, way quicker than low res. Like mine went from 250 pics to, like, 1200 or so. !
That was a big deal for me.

I've set my 5mkIII to take 999 images at medium resolution in a timelapse and didn't drain the battery. Of course, I flipped the screen around so that it was not powered on during the process. Leaving the screen out and on will definitely drain the battery faster!

Latest threads

Top Bottom