1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Timbuk2 Snoop-which size?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OhWellOK, Jan 10, 2013.

1. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Another bag thread! For folks here using Timbuk2 Snoop bags-what size are you using? General walk around usage, urban exploration, street, travel, landscape. I'm thinking the Small might be ok for below? Medium seems huge for m43?

• E-M5 OR E-PL5 body (on rare occasions both)
    • 3-4 lenses with hoods (from the following Olympus 9-18,14-42IIR,45,40-150 Panasonic 20,14,14-45)
    • Filter wallet(s) (Cokin A grads kit, 46mm, 52mm)
    • Flash FL-36R + Clip on flash (occasional)
    • Sirui (T-025 CF tripod) strapped externally
      or
    • UltraPod
    • Oly Remote cable
    • Accessories-Spare battery, AA batteries(FL-36R), lens cloth, battery charger, SD cards, Modifier like Stofen Omni-bounce, small 20" collapsible diffuser/reflector disk.
    What are your experiences with the Timbuk2 tripod straps? I have a Think Tank Retro 5 bag-which is great, but I'll more often than not need to carry a tripod, which is the reason I'm looking into the Snoop bags.

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Small seems about the right size for m43 kit.
    I have not seen one of those Snoop bags with outside straps in action, but I don't know how I would feel about strapping tripod outside a bag especially in a city. If it's small enough, why not stuff it inside?

3. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks. Yeah my Sirui's small (11.8" folded) but not sure how fitting tripod in bag will work along with the Snoop insert without requiring a fairly large bag? Might be one of those cases which calls for ordering both sizes so I can compare fits for myself and just return the other one.

4. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Spent some time on the epic Bags and more Bags thread. Great answers to my above question from jon595. Thanks! :redface:

5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Snoop small insert in my commute messenger.

Untitled by BAXTING, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  6. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Thanks. I'm glad to help. I will try and snap some shots of my two bag configs soon. I end up liking the domke f-5xa as an inner bag most. At least until I buy yet another bag...

Just a hobbyist.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks guys!
    That would be great.
    So I'm gonna go with the Snoop Small and see how that works. I forgot to mention I have an old Timbuk2 Classic Messenger that's 10+ years old now - i think it's Medium size? These bags last! It's still got plenty of life left in it, but looks a little rough going into the office with everyday. But for those days I want just a little extra space, and appearances aren't an issue I can use the Snoop sm insert in that bag. I also have my Crumpler Haven small to add to the mix.

Now I just have to wait and try to troll up a good deal :jedi: maybe from eBags?

8. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
    Alright, I finally snapped a quick photo of my Timbuk2 Snoop size Small holding my 13" MacBook Pro and a Domke F-5xa (holding an E-M5+25mm, Oly 45mm and a few other small items).

This demonstrates my usual travel setup. I don't like carrying big bags when walking around with a camera, so the small F-5xa is great for hauling around a camera and an extra lens or two plus extra battery, extra memory card and cleaning cloth. It fits inside the Snoop small perfectly. To get to my destination, I carry the Snoop with laptop, supplies and the Domke bag inside. Once I get there, I walk around with just the Domke.

2013-01-13_00-04-08.

• Like Like x 2
  9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, that looks roomy. I'm holding out to see if these bags go on sale anywhere (I want the black/gray version). eBags has 20% off but not valid for Timbuk2.
    On the other hand, I'm also debating on whether I should take advantage of the rebate offers this month on either the HLD-6 grip and/or VF-2, both items I'd like to eventually add to my E-M5 and E-pl5. I hate paying full retail for anything!:redface:

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I was recently in a store somewhere else in wholesale district on Broadway that had a pretty huge selection of Timbuktu bags. I don't remember if they had any Snoops. REI and Paragon sports have some too.

Timbuk2 had a pretty good sale on Black Fri but only for the more gaudy bright colors not the plain black ones.
    EBay is probably the cheapest place to pick one up if you don't mind used.

11. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    PA
  12. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just ordered the small in Black/gunmetal. Amazon has these on sale right now @ $128.95. No, not a huge discount or anything but saves a couple bucks.

13. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Update: If's anyone is looking for a Snoop. The small in black is $96.02 on Amazon right now! Great price.
    Just cancelled my last order.

14. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FYI - the Snoop XS insert is now available again, it wasn't for a while. The XS is available as well, I think that it was out of stock for a while as well. Snoop Camera Insert - Timbuk2 Bags

15. RichardR

RichardR New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2010
    The Small is the best size. I looked at the Medium in the Timbuk2 shop in SF and it is huge.

The gear:

Timbuk2_Snoop_camera_bag-4.

Empty interior:

Timbuk2_Snoop_camera_bag-6.

With lenses. The bag is about twice as deep as most of these lenses:

Timbuk2_Snoop_camera_bag-12.

With camera - I have it set up to insert the camera with lens mounted pointing down:

Timbuk2_Snoop_camera_bag-14.

One weakness of the bag - although it has 4 pockets (5 including the Napoleon) they are all on top of one another which limits how much you can put in them:

Timbuk2_Snoop_camera_bag-9.

The thing I like about it is that you can quickly cinch it up tight for walking - it doesn't bang against your hip like most shoulder bags. The tripod straps are useful too - you don't notice it's there. Just a pity the pockets are all on top of one another

16. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Am I correct in assuming that there is enough room behind the insert to hold an iPad in a sleeve?

17. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    I opted to order the D'LUX small over the Snoop small. I wanted to get the snoop cause I wanted the tripod straps but the more I thought of it... I wanted the top access more. The D'LUX let's you access the inside via a zipper on top. I think based on my shooting antics I will find that more useful than bottom straps. Too bad they don't have the top zipper on the Snoop.... Oh well... We will see if the extra cost is worth it soon enough.

18. RichardR

RichardR New to Mu-43

Oct 23, 2010
    There is. Not sure how comfortable it would be though as there would be no padding between the iPad and your body. But there is room.

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks. I recently ordered a D-Lux version as I almost always have an iPad with me. I have not seen a Snoop in person. I may order the insert separately.

20. Snoop Small, the big bag

Use the Snoop Small when lugging around everything and not wanting to dig for, rotate/stack lens. GF-1+lvf, G2, 9-18mm oly, 20mm, 14-45mm, 45-200 or 100-300. Have packed the 45-200 + 100-300mm(???why???),but packing both long zooms requires stacking lens. The added grab handle on the newer Snoops is a definite plus. Wishing I had the handle on my snoop. Padding and moisture/dust protection is excellent. No anxiety standing in a heavy rain.

Prefer the Domke F-5XC over the snoop. Softer feel & more compact. Trade off is LVF-1 unattached, stacking lens.