1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tilting LCD question

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by a_hit_of_meth, Jan 7, 2012.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry if this has been asked. I am doing my research and have scanned through some threads but I'm in a bit of a rush. I've also asked a similar question about 16:9 screens on the olympus threads but this is a separate question about the usefulness of the tilting screens so hopefully the mods wont merge my two questions...

I'm looking into the E-pl3 which has a 3'' tliting widescreen. My problem with this is I prefer to shoot in 4:3 format which means I will have a smaller image (effectively 2.4'') to work with when composing shots. I'm trying to decide if the smaller on-screen image is a good compromise for having a tilting screen so my question to those who have used a tilting screen is how useful is it for normal everyday shooting? Do you find that you use the tilt mechanism often or is it only for odd shot above a crowd or to get shots from down low. Also, do any of you use your tilt screens sort of like a waist-level finder?

2. Yes, but on my GH1. The extra articulation of the Panasonic screens allow you to use the screen like this in both portrait and landscape orientations as well as to the side, at the expense of having to flip the screen off to the side of the camera in landscape orientation.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I find the articulated screen on my GH2 to be handy. More so than I thought I would. I don't use it often, but sometimes it's very handy.

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I use the tilt screen on my epl3 nearly constantly. Only occasionally for really high or low shots, but I use it as a waist or belly level finder all the time, like an old twin lens reflex. I like this kind of finder more than the more versatile type on the Pany G-series cams because I don't like the screen out to the side of the camera in order to be able to look down into it. Just a personal preference. But I love using some form of waist level finder and the simple tilt of the epl3 / Nex type of screen is perfect for me.

-Ray

5. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    +1

6. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    That's the exact type use I want from a tilt screen. What aspect ratio do you use? Do you find that using the 4:3 format with the bars blacked out and smaller on-screen image makes it difficult to compose shots at waist level?

7. I'd call the Panasonic more versatile, just less compact and convenient :smile: