1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

tilt-shift lens for M43

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by judywisconsin, Feb 26, 2013.

1. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I thought I saw a post somewhere for a tilt-shift lens, but I can't find it. Does anyone have one that could share a quick review of it? (manufacturer, cost, pros & cons, any other helpful hints). Thanks.

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Is this the one you were thinking of ? - Lensbaby

3. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The lensbaby Tilt Transformer is discontinued... No idea why, I'd rather the Nikon's over the sweet 35 or edge 80.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As yet, none of the major 4/3 players has released (or even hinted at) at native :43: tilt-shift lens (to my knowledge). Are you actually looking for a lens that does both tilt AND shift, or do you really want just one of these? For example, you can create the "miniature effect" using only a tilt lens or adapter (for example the previously mentioned LensBaby) and you only really need a shift lens (or adapter) if you want to correct perspective (e.g. for architectural shots). What type of images are you looking to capture?

There is at least one "native" :43: tilt-shift lens (available from Amazon), but I believe it's really just an adapted lens permanently mounted to a tilt-shift adapter. Here's a post from someone who appears to have tried this lens (or something quite similar) who describes the output as "rather soft (low contrast + low def), but not improving as customary if stopping down". So not exactly a glowing review.

A couple of other options you might consider:
    1. use a tilt-only or shift-only adapter with a legacy lens. As far as I know, there is no adapter in the market that does both tilt and shift
    2. adapted a legacy tilt-shift lens such as the well-regarded (and VERY expensive) Olympus OM Zuiko Shift 24mm f/3.5
    3. <strike>wait for the (unknown) release of this rumored/teased native lens</strike>

You might find some more info in this post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have one and it's crap. It has developed so much play that it's essentially useless. I have also tried a Kipon shift adapter for Nikon F and returned that one the same day: not very sturdy, too much play in the Nikon F mount so that the lens would wiggle and one of my lenses (Nikkor 50/1.8 AI) could not be mounted because a lens flange interfered with the adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Option number 3 is out: B.I.G. announced later that they cancelled the project. Samyang has hinted on a 24mm shift lens for full-frame; maybe not very interesting on a ยต4/3 camera, but on my Sony NEX-6 it's getting closer to useful, provided the image quality is good. Especially distortion is a pain to correct in shifted images.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's too bad, but I have to admit I never had a lot of faith that that particular lens would ever come to market based on the manner in which it was announced. Thanks for the update, though.

Does anyone have any other suggestions beyond those that have already been offered here?

8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Fotodiox and Kipon adapters. I'm sorry (although not wholly surprised) to hear that you didn't have good experiences with these.

Other than these two, the remaining source of shift adapters I'm aware of is Nordic Camera on eBay. Their adapters entail a significantly bigger investment (US$300) than the others, so I wonder if that means they are constructed to higher tolerances. Has anyone tried these (or anything from this seller)?

9. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    These look just the same as the Fotodiox adapters, so I'm certainly not going to spend $300 on those!

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In regards to the Fotodiox and Kipon adapters, I think you're getting what you pay for. Consider the expensive cost of a real tilt-shift lens, then compare that with the cost of the adapter which can turn ANY lens of that mount into a tilt-shift on a Non-Reflex body (quite an advantage, if you ask me), and I would think a sacrifice in build quality would only be part of the territory. You don't have to spend a small fortune on a real shift lens, and you also aren't limited to just one lens and one focal length either.

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    They do look quite similar, don't they.

12. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    The problem with the adapter is that lens are not really made to be tilted... I found that out with Lensbaby. the best lens I've used on that was EXACTLY, the nikon 50mm 1.8 e series. ...which was a budget pancake kit lens when it came out. Nice little lens actually, who knew. I used a vintage 35mm nikon 1.4 and that thing tilted was just bad, The blues and the greens were litereally fringing at any every diference of contrast, I've never seen CA quite like it, I like weird abberations and all, but that was hideous even for me. Seeing as those lenses were not made to tilt, you'll literally have to try out each lens tilted. I'm actually considering selling my lensbaby, as I just don't use it that much, and maybe getting the 12-35... keep an eye one the buy/sell. I still haven't decided yet.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I don't see the point of buying a tilt shift lens for a digital camera, when such correction can so easily be applied in PP. in Lightroom especially, it's very easy to correct vertical and horizontal perspective issues.

14. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    For me the point is that I can compose the image in the camera like I want it to. It's much more inspiring to me than trying to previsualize how I'll crop later.

Also, correcting keystoning in Photoshop isn't the same as preventing it and you lose some sharpness as well in the parts that are enlarged.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Simple reasons: depth of field control (not just toy lens effects), perspective control without loss of resolution (which photoshop does do) and perfect stitching using the shift function.

The Canon T/S lenses are some of the sharpest they make, corner to corner.

16. Just Jim

Oct 20, 2011
    To be blunt, the PP correction is not any where near the TS lens correction, yet. The software correction is fine in some occasions, but in situations where there are strong lines, it's painfully obvious. Especially in occasions whre the subject has been shot to death, the TS will always win at this point.

17. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to sit tight for now. Nothing I looked at had glowing reviews. Interesting discussion though. Thanks again.

18. brlowe

brlowe Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2011
    Boise, ID
  19. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I believe this is the same lens that I referred to in my [post=407769]post above[/post]. This lens was described by one user on this site (see link in earlier post) as creating images that were "rather soft (low contrast + low def), but not improving as customary if stopping down." Doesn't sound like an ideal solution to me.

Hope that helps!