Tilt and Shift Adapters

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by travisennis, Apr 21, 2011.

1. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    For m43 cameras I have found that Kipon makes a series of tilt adapters and Fotodiox makes a series of shift adapters. Has anyone ever used these? If so, how have you used them and could you share your experiences and results? I've never used tilt or shift lenses before, but it seems like the results can be interesting and it might be fun to experiment with on my GF-1.
  2. Colin Griffiths

Colin Griffiths New to Mu-43

I've got a Fotodiox shift adapter and did the following experiment:

The "Rich Gift Of Lins": Panasonic GF1 Fotodiox EOS Shift Adapter Olympus Zuiko Lens

Since then, in addition to 28 and 50mm lenses, I also purchased OM24mm and OM100 lenses with the intention of using them with the shift adapter for stitching images. I also own and use Canon 24 and 45mm TS-e lenses that use with a 5D MkII and I find that for my style of photography that the 24mm TS-e gets used more frequently of the two. When this style is translated into m43 terms, my OM24mm lens becomes a 48mm lens and as such is not a focal length that I find having shift for is very useful for. In addition, after thinking that I wanted more resolution, I've learnt to realise that for my needs, the resolution that I get from my GF1 is more than sufficient and I don't ever feel the need to stitch images either. Consequently the Fotodiox shift adapter doesn't get used but sits in the drawer; another experiment that was just that, an experiment! Personally, I find the native Panasonic lenses to be so good and such a good match to the GF1, that I struggle to find a reason why I would want to use the OM lenses on it. There's a part of my past though, that simply loves the design, feel and look of those manual lenses and I guess I just like owning them despite not using them!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
  4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Colin, did the Fotodiox come with its tripod thread, or did you adapt one?
    To stitch views with a "depth" i.e. with a foreground, it is more than useful.
    Those I've seen for Nikon mount don't have one, so you end up with the overlapping zones being stereographic pairs. Or have to loose time with a left-right slider for the camera.
  5. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Btw, it strikes me that stitching 3 shots of your centered plus fully shifted 24 mm Zuiko, you end up with ca. the same proportions and field you would have with the first release Fuji Panorama 617 and its 105mm lens, or Hasselblad SWC with its rare 24x56mm back--the prototype of the X-Pan concept. 617 and SWC were my favourite landscape cameras.

With a 21 mm shifted on :43:, you get same as Fuji's, er... inspirer: the original Linhof Technorama with 90mm SA lens. Not a bad tool either--I keep mine as a collectible, eventhough Fuji's version was definitely sharper. Lucky me: its removable viewfinder may come handy for stitched :43: shots...

Both 6x17 cm cameras' magic resided in their vertical field of view, "normal" for their width of film, while they stretched the other side to 3:1 ratio. Hence very wide fields, but which avoided empty skies and/or foregrounds. Not that anyone forbids using them vertically...
  6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    My personal experience in using those so called "Pro" shift adapters from Fotodiox is unfortunately completely different !

I have the Nikkor to micro4/3 of those (2 pieces, after they sent me a replacement because I complained) and find them close to useless !

For details, have a look at this topic :

Since none of mine allows for focusing to infinity, they are absolutely no good for landscape panoramic shooting.

C U,
  7. leuallen

leuallen Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2010
    Mackinaw, Il
    Wide lenses and the shift adapter don't go well together. For lenses less than 35-40mm you will get a color shift at the edges, usually magenta. You can see it in the skies - magenta blue to blue back to magenta blue as you go across the frame. It can be removed in post but is a pain.

Experience with using Fotodiox adapter and various manual lenses from 28mm to 300mm for shift stitches. The longer lenses work well for landscapes. Unusual use, vertical stitch of tall flower with 300mm lens.

Note: Use Eos shift adapter with inexpensive Brand X to Eos adapter (two adapters). Have used OM, Pentax, and Nikon this way. No infinity problems. Some mounts do not have adapters to EOS -Minolta MD (no infinity focus) and I believe Canon FD (have not tried) - have their own dedicated adapters. The Canon FD adapter is no good for shift stitches because there is no tripod mount on the adapter (no room). This is essential.
  8. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone. You gave me a lot to think over. Seems like not everyone is happy with the fotodiox shift adapter and I think I prefer the effect of tilt versus shift anyway, so I may take the leap and try one of those kipon adapters. As for freelensing, I don't think I'm brave enough to try that. :)
  9. ddegomez

ddegomez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Although I haven't yet used my Kipon shift Nikon to M4/3 adapter, I'd like to give a quick, first impressions review. For the price the device is very well made. Excellent machining gives a solid, smooth operating feel. Ergonomics are a bit poor; the button to rotate the lens is small and you have to slide the button towards the body. In addition, the amount of shift is set by turning a very long fine thread machine screw. Very time consuming, and, because of the long screw a SLR hump (Panasonic Gh bodies) will prevent rise in landscape mode.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I too have the Kipon shift for Nikon mounts.

I agree with you (I use a pen though), I find the easiest way for me to use it is to leave tilt adapter a little loose and hold it in place with my hand.

I find Kipon's products to be very well made- they're not generic Chinese accessories that are cheaply made, they're fairly well machine items.
  11. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Man, the one thing I loved about being on Canon was their excellent T&S lens. :( Any other alternatives?