1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

"Till the Cows Come Home"

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Robert Watcher, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

The cows were in the beautiful open fields - nosey from my presence at first, and then as soon as I pulled out the camera and set it up on a tripod (to compensate for the low light levels) to get my shot - - - they had turned and headed off. Actually I prefer this image with the lovely green grazing grass in the foreground, and wonderful rolling hills and mix of colors in the background - to the couple of closer up shots of the cows that I took before they headed away. I have found a new favourite location for early morning rural images.

BTW, the phrase "till the cows come home" : Till the cows come home

Olympus E-PL1 : 40-150mm lens
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Great scene and beautifully done.

3. Robert Watcher

Thought I would include this 100% crop from the image, that shows my image processing without the effects of web compression. This image will be printed on Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Fine Art Paper for a nice textured soft feel to the photograph.

[​IMG]

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Nice image. I like the almost painterly look you've given it.

My one issue/ suggestion regards the cropping. I have no idea what you cropped out on the sides, but for some reason the square crop isn't doing it for me. I think that since the group of cattle stretches from one edge of the frame to the other, I feel like I'm somehow being deprived of seeing the entire herd. I don't think I'd have the same reaction if the image had either a landscape or portrait crop since I'd understand that the width represented the limit of what was captured, but since the image is square I know that it's been cropped. I'm not sure if that really makes sense and it's really more of a visceral feeling than anything.

Thanks for sharing.

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Nice.

6. Robert Watcher

I understand your thoughts. Of course cropping and processing are all artistic choices that we make with our images. Everyone would make different choices. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Absolutely agree. I didn't mean to imply that the artistic choice you made in cropping the image was bad, I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. The fact that I felt compelled to take a few minutes to do so is a testament to the power of your image.

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Robert... Thats a nice scene.

I dont know if critique is welcome, but i get the impression that you may plan to offer the image for sale to the public and if this is an image you will be marketing for sale to the public, some feedback may be helpful to consider.

Cropping is an individual preference, for sure, and there are a lot of ways an image can be successfully cropped. That said, I'm with DeeJay in that the crop is so close to the cows that they look haphazardly chopped off... if there were more space between the cows and the edge of the frame, especially on the left, but definitely on the right as well, the image would feel more comfortably composed and, for me anyway, would be more successful.

Lastly, to my sensibilities, the edge treatment feels incongruous with the pastoral subject.

It's a beautiful scene, aside from these handling aspects. Hope my comments will be received as constructive opinion. :smile:

9. Robert Watcher

Thank you all for your nice comments.