Tight lens mount - Olympus 12-50

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Just got an Olympus 12-50 and the lens mount is very tight on both my E-M1 and E-P5.

Should I be concerned? It goes no, latches, and releases so the mechanism seems to be working. It just takes almost what I would call a forceful turn to mount. Surely more force than I can ever remember having to use in a lens in the past.

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The 12-50 is weather sealed, if its anything like my 12-40, it has a rubber gasket that makes the mount tighter, so this is probably normal.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Thanks all. I had a 45, I don't recall it being as tight. But it might have been.

I have nice collection of glass but the 12-50 is the only Olympus sealed lens I have. The Panasonic 35-100 is not as tight.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
I tried one today on my E-m5 which fit quite effortlessly, should I be worried?
I wouldn't worry as long as the lens is functioning properly. Could be Olympus heard about this issue and made adjustments at the point of assembly to correct this minor problem. Maybe weather sealing is a factor but I doubt it, sold my 12-50 for the pro 12-40 and it's also weather sealed but mounts much easier than my 12-50 ever did.

a_hit_of_meth

Mu-43 Veteran
I wouldn't worry as long as the lens is functioning properly. Could be Olympus heard about this issue and made adjustments at the point of assembly to correct this minor problem. Maybe weather sealing is a factor but I doubt it, sold my 12-50 for the pro 12-40 and it's also weather sealed but mounts much easier than my 12-50 ever did.

Would dust be a problem? I know these are dust and water sealed but even L lenses sometimes get dust and these are nowhere near that level of dust/water proofing.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
Would dust be a problem? I know these are dust and water sealed but even L lenses sometimes get dust and these are nowhere near that level of dust/water proofing.
I also use the Oly 60mm macro and it too is weather sealed but doesn't mount as tightly as the 12-50 did. The 12-40 and the 60 macro fit snug but neither is as tight as my old 12-50 was. I get a feeling that both of these lenses seem to 'click' in place when mounted. The 12-50 never felt like it 'clicked' in place but it did work flawlessly every time it was mounted.

chargedmr2

Mu-43 Regular
A while back a poster complained about this issue and the solution, at least in his case was simple: touch your finger to the side of your nose where there is natural skin oils. Next rub your finger over the surface of the lens mount on the camera. Problem should be noticeably better. Repeat these steps a couple of times as necessary, until the lens mounts in an acceptable way.

Sounds a little strange, but this solved a dangerously tight lens mount problem I had with my E-M10 and 9-18mm. Mounting went from ridiculously hard, to perfectly normal.

ozfoz

Mu-43 Regular
Hi,
Just a caution when using the nose oil method- there's also the chance of picking up salt from sweat which can lead to corrosion. It's a great quick fix though. I learnt it in relation to the film gate in a 16mm camera- it was an old trick to keep the film moving smoothly through the gate. I guess it's only a potential problem for steel parts, and to be honest, I don't know what material the OMD mount is made of (and since I've just sold my OMD I can't check! (Still have an EP3 though)).
Anyway, not criticizing the suggestion, just sharing the caution that was shared with me when I learnt the trick...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

Latest threads

Top Bottom