Tiff/jpeg/orf ?????

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by brianvickers, Aug 20, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I now use Olympus and Canon cameras so shoot in RAW ORF and CR2 file formats. I'm converting these to TIFF so I can use the same image manipulation software for images from the Olympus and Canon.
    Is this a good idea?
    What is the best format to save - I believe TIFF does not compress or degrade but JPEG does...is that correct?
    What do you do or recommend?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    And it begins yet again...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    .tiff files can be compressed too but most people use uncompressed tiffs. They can be huge so make sure you have plenty of storage/RAM/processing power on tap if you want to use them.

You're far better off using a non-destructive editor like Lightroom or Aperture which applies its changes to a preview jpeg (which is what you look at anyway) and only "bakes in" edits when you output a file for uploading or printing. The original file sits on your disk untouched. Google Picasa is a free image management program which does a similar thing if you want to try out the concept.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If you use Lightroom you can convert all your RAW files of any format to DNG format on import - usually shrinks the size of them slightly which is no bad thing, and no xmp files to bother about either....

5. Jimboh

Jimboh Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2010
    Florida
    DNG

Adobe (who owns TIFF specification) has positioned DNG to be the TIFF replacement. If I recall correctly, DNG will retain your metadata in the file, while tiff has to use xmp "sidecar" files. Already we are seeing some 10+ year old RAW formats retired by the camera makers. So DNG is the way to go.

PS Adobe labs has a Windows Explorer plugin (codec) that will allow you to see the DNG previews without opening any editing software. It is designed for Windows 7. Don't know about XP or Mac support.

DNG Codec - Adobe Labs

6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Quick question - how did tiff come to be an imaging format for photography ?

I've always seen it in the context of black and white fax scans so I've been surprised to see it mentioned alongside jpeg/raw/dng.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I read somewhere that most RAW files are essentially a TIFF file with manufacturer modifcations....

8. I now convert straight to DNG using the free Adobe convertor. Better than dealing with CR2, ORF, RW2, etc, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    The history is below. It all started with scanner manufacturers in ~ 1992.

Tagged Image File Format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A question for .dng users. How well does it deal with camera settings? It could save me an upgrade to Aperture 3.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    When I work with Raw, I open files in Olympus Viewer as it is the only way to preserve Olympus signature colors. I then save them as uncompressed tiffs and edit them in LR to save as jpegs

11. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Not exactly sure what you're asking here - can you expantiate a bit?

12. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011

....which format in Olympus viewer do you use....'save as' offers several TIFF formats, 8 bit, 16 bit , tiff-exif etc which is uncompressed?

13. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    I've tried it out. Please ignore the question. The answer is no. I'll do some searching re the benefits of Aperture 3.

14. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Tiff-exif

15. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    This was exact conversation I was looking for...

I just started getting into RAW and the Oly Viewer to wet my feet...

(Using an E-P3)

If you guys could help me...

1. I noticed that saving a file in Exif-JPEG Hig quality w/ DPI left at 300 (Default) the file is about 3MB while Straight OOC the file is about 8MB.

What DPI setting should I use & is that a normal file size?

2. I have read about the difference between TIFF vs JPEG conversions... but a 20MB file/pic is pretty huge for archiving... Is it really worth it guys?

Thanks as always!

16. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    An unopened JPG is always smaller than an open JPG...

Changing the DPI does nothing at all to your file size... It is a reference you can use to the largest print size you can make at whatever DPI you decide... 300 dpi is good for 8x10 and smaller... but as you make larger prints, the DPI can be lower... it is a reference to the detail you can see at the proper viewing distance... as we look at larger prints at a greater distance, the DPI we can separate with our eyes gets smaller... Our eyes can resolve so much, at any distance. Less at greater distances, so a lower DPI gives you an idea of the largest print you can make.

17. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    So two things... Would lowering or increasing the DPI have an effect on the quality of the JPEG?

AND

Are you saying the quality of the OOC JPEG is equal to the much smaller file size of the Viewer's RAW converted one?

18. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I just started playing around with OV2 and it's very impressive. Compared to LR 4.3 importing raw file at the default setting produces a little more pleasing results from the start. Not surprise at the results since OV2 is applying your camera setting to the raw files. Just makes editing your raw files quicker.

Since OV2 only exports your files as tiff or jpg's, has anyone here ever used a tiff to dng converted? Tiff files are huge compared to orf's. Would love to convert the exported tiff to dng, for LR use, and throw away the large tiffs. And is there any benefit to doing this this?
    Thanks.

19. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    In case anyone here is interested you can convert tiffs to dng using LR.

20. hiimage

hiimage New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2013
    how about a tiff image converter vb.net. then you can convert any formats to tiff and vice versa. so you don't have to download different kinds of software to help you.