Thumbs Up Grip for the GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by theflyer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i'm not sure if anyone's reviewed a Thumbs Up grip on the GF1 before or not but....long story short, I walked into the local Leica dealer yesterday, slid one of these beauties into the hot shoe and....voila. :2thumbs:

now i know lots of folks with the GF1 love it's compact form factor and would never think of adding to what is arguably a perfect combination of size and performance. however, for ME and the way i'm used to shooting pictures (having come from the DSLR world and being accustomed to having a chunk of camera under my hands!), i've often felt the need for a different way to hold the GF1. my fingers, while not big, never seem comfortable with the machined indentations on the body and i always feel like i'm "pinching" a deck of cards when using the GF1, especially as i don't use the LV1 and am limited to holding the camera in front of me while framing with the LCD.

i've tried a few different straps - especially ones that allow me to tighten them around my wrist to give me a more "secure" feel - and i also looked into the GF1 grip out of japan that screws into the tripod mount (which i was actually about to buy).

however, i happened to come across an article about a photographer who loved a thumbs up grip on his leica M8 and it got me wondering if there was a version that would fit on the GF1. i went to their website and nowhere does it suggest that any of their products would work with the GF1. i even called the local shop before heading over and the salesman said he thought the grip would cover the playback and the AF/AE lock buttons on the back of the camera.

anyways, when i got there, i saw the model CSEP-2, a very sleek and more streamlined version of their other grips and, lucky for me, it actually fits very nicely onto the camera and gives me what i'm looking for. i find that i get a lot more leverage in holding the camera between my thumb and my front fingers such that i don't get that anxious feeling that the camera is going to slip through my fingers. apparently it comes in black as well as the silver but the shop i went to didn't have the black. the silver looks good to me, and in fact matches nicely with the nickel-like banding on the 20/1.7 lens.

all in all a very good purchase for me and the way i like to use the GF1 (please keep in mind, your user experience may vary). the only downside is its cost - about $150, which is exactly half of what i paid for the camera (ouch!). but, if you value peace of mind - and the satisfaction you get from holding a piece of equipment in your hands that just feels right - then you'll understand why, for me, the money was well worth it.

i've included a couple of photos in case anyone is interested.

-Andrew.

P4030203.
    P4030204. P4030205.

• Like Like x 7
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Looks interesting and can't see why it wouldn't work with the Pens as well.

3. 617

617 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA.
    Timothy Kenner
    I like!

4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Very cool idea

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It would cover the accessories port, but other wise it would make it easier to hold.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How difficult does it make getting to the mode dial? Looks tight

7. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    One Hundred and Fifty Dollars! Somebody's gotta be kidding.

8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This one?
    MinMD50f18-1.

I paid $100 for my Asashi grip, so I know what you mean.

9. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

This one's $45 off eBay and looks better suited for the GF1. The brand is HorusBennu and it comes in silver as well.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would drive me batty! I would keep trying to advance the next frame with it. :smile:

11. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    Yup

That's the one. Not sure why the image no longer shows. Maybe it's because I'm on the computer at work.

12. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    Old habits die hard. I'll probably do the same thing once I install it.