Thumbs Up Grip for the GF1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by theflyer, Apr 3, 2011.

1. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i'm not sure if anyone's reviewed a Thumbs Up grip on the GF1 before or not but....long story short, I walked into the local Leica dealer yesterday, slid one of these beauties into the hot shoe and....voila. :2thumbs:

now i know lots of folks with the GF1 love it's compact form factor and would never think of adding to what is arguably a perfect combination of size and performance. however, for ME and the way i'm used to shooting pictures (having come from the DSLR world and being accustomed to having a chunk of camera under my hands!), i've often felt the need for a different way to hold the GF1. my fingers, while not big, never seem comfortable with the machined indentations on the body and i always feel like i'm "pinching" a deck of cards when using the GF1, especially as i don't use the LV1 and am limited to holding the camera in front of me while framing with the LCD.

i've tried a few different straps - especially ones that allow me to tighten them around my wrist to give me a more "secure" feel - and i also looked into the GF1 grip out of japan that screws into the tripod mount (which i was actually about to buy).

however, i happened to come across an article about a photographer who loved a thumbs up grip on his leica M8 and it got me wondering if there was a version that would fit on the GF1. i went to their website and nowhere does it suggest that any of their products would work with the GF1. i even called the local shop before heading over and the salesman said he thought the grip would cover the playback and the AF/AE lock buttons on the back of the camera.

anyways, when i got there, i saw the model CSEP-2, a very sleek and more streamlined version of their other grips and, lucky for me, it actually fits very nicely onto the camera and gives me what i'm looking for. i find that i get a lot more leverage in holding the camera between my thumb and my front fingers such that i don't get that anxious feeling that the camera is going to slip through my fingers. apparently it comes in black as well as the silver but the shop i went to didn't have the black. the silver looks good to me, and in fact matches nicely with the nickel-like banding on the 20/1.7 lens.

all in all a very good purchase for me and the way i like to use the GF1 (please keep in mind, your user experience may vary). the only downside is its cost - about $150, which is exactly half of what i paid for the camera (ouch!). but, if you value peace of mind - and the satisfaction you get from holding a piece of equipment in your hands that just feels right - then you'll understand why, for me, the money was well worth it.

i've included a couple of photos in case anyone is interested.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 7
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Looks interesting and can't see why it wouldn't work with the Pens as well.
  3. 617

617 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 30, 2011
    Carlsbad, CA.
    Timothy Kenner
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Very cool idea

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It would cover the accessories port, but other wise it would make it easier to hold.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How difficult does it make getting to the mode dial? Looks tight
  7. ascherjim

ascherjim Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 10, 2010
    One Hundred and Fifty Dollars! Somebody's gotta be kidding.
  8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    This one?

I paid $100 for my Asashi grip, so I know what you mean.
  9. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011

This one's $45 off eBay and looks better suited for the GF1. The brand is HorusBennu and it comes in silver as well.
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would drive me batty! I would keep trying to advance the next frame with it. :smile:
  11. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011

That's the one. Not sure why the image no longer shows. Maybe it's because I'm on the computer at work.
  12. DangFoo

DangFoo New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2011
    Old habits die hard. I'll probably do the same thing once I install it.