1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thumbs up for Olympus Canada & used EM5 sale price

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43man, Oct 8, 2013.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    After I posted my ad to sell the EM5+grip last week, I decided to ship the camera to Olympus Canada for inspection, sensor clean and bezel crack fix/prevention.

After all the horror stories I read, I was fully inspecting their turnaround to be weeks, but today I was totally amazed when Purolator said I will have delivery of the camera by the end of the day.

Basically this is what happened: I sent it out on Thursday, camera arrived on Friday, and by Monday the camera had been upgraded to prevent future bezel crack, sensor was cleaned, and a general check was performed to declare it a clean bill of health! Minus the weekend, the camera only left my hands for 3 days! :2thumbs:

Now my question is, do you guys think the used EM5+grip for $849 is overpriced? Considering this has just been freshly "conditioned" by Olympus, should I hold the price? Also is listing the body and grip separately a better way to sell? :confused:

2. vario

vario New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2013
    I paid 100 less for the combo you are selling, and bought both items individually.
    Not everyone will want the grip.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just updated the price to $799.

4. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hi guys, it's been about a week since I posted my EM5 + grip combo, even after reducing the price $798, I had only a few enquiries and they all flaked out.

Do you guys think this is a reasonable price with the grip? There is another seller listing the whole combo for only $700, which I think is way too low, especially that mine is in Mint condition, and just had its sensor cleaned by Olympus, comes with extra eyecup EP11, free screen protectors etc, so how many are supporting that I hold at $798 until the right buyer comes along?

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I paid $750 for a Cameta refurb without the grip a few months ago. The body only price that I've seen for used has dipped into the $600-$700 range. Folks may be deciding to go for used and spend less. Your price is reasonable but you may have to be patient until the right buyer comes along.

6. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    Chicago
    I sold mine for $650 and the grip for $150 about a month and a half ago. The used market just isn't very good these days.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mu-43 mobile app

7. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    After deducting the $150 value for the grip, my EM5 is effectively at $650 too, especially that it's confirmed to have no bezel crack issue, I think I will follow your footsteps by holding firm at $798 for now.

8. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    Yeah, EM5 is the best deal right now for m43 system

9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I totally agree, wish there was this kind of pricing when I purchased it last year.

10. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    NYC
    I need a second body but I am not sure if I should pick up another EM5 or get an EP5:) any thought on that?

11. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Benefit of having the same bodies is that you don't have to think about anything when working with them on the fly. Have them set up the same and run with them. All buttons in the same place.

• Like Like x 1
  12. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I agree, it's a big hassle when switching bodies only to find buttons are not in the same spot. When I briefly had the EP5, I was constantly pressing the wrong buttons, super annoying.

I have posted a new ad for my EM5 body-only, which is not the EM5+grip bundle that I posted before, in case anybody is just looking for the body.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's pretty good, for sure, but I'd offer up the E-PL5, as pristine ones are going on the used market for less than $350. I recently picked up one with fewer than 1000 clicks, and a VF-2 and a Gariz Half Case (which I immediately sold for $35) for $450. There's very little functional difference between an E-PL5 + VF2 and a Panasonic GX7 as a still camera, other than focus peaking and 1/8000 shutter speed. Of course the ergonomics are quite different, and the Panasonics are better at video than the Olympuses.

I should also observe that E-P5s are starting to hit the used market in some numbers now, and you can get them for around the same prices as E-M5s, and for just a couple hundred more bundled with VF-4s.

14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I agree with PL5 as an alternative, as long as you don't need the amazing 5-axis IBIS on the EM5.

15. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    Good luck with sale...for the record I picked up a silver em5 with kit lens for $750 (everything in box mint with some extra cheapo batteries too)

If i value the 12-50 at $200 that's means I scored an em5 for $550

Sent from my HTC One using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    That's a nice price, although I don't personally think that the 12-50mm lens is worth $200 (but you might be able to sell it for that).

• Like Like x 1
  17. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks! :)

But I'm very tempted to bring the camera price down to $670-$680 range to encourage a faster sale :rolleyes: Maybe even $650.

18. spacedogg79

spacedogg79 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 9, 2013
    Vancouver, Canada
    How much did Olympus Canada charge for cleaning sensor?

19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Sorry to go slightly off-topic here...

Where did you have to send the camera?
    What do they do for future bezel crack prevention?
    Did you have to pay for shipping?
    Did you have to pay for any of the work done?

Thanks! :)