Thumb grip broke off E-M10

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Hank77, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    I was getting my E-M10 with a 12-40/2.8 mounted on it (plus a Neewer metal grip) out of my camera bag, and it broke off. I did a quick search and didn't see that anyone had run into this issue. I don't have the camera near me right now, but it looked like there's a metal screw that attaches from the inside of the backplate to hold the thumb grip in place? It looked like there may have been some epoxy or adhesive, but nothing gummy or flexible. All the residue felt hard to the touch.

I've contacted Olympus to figure out how to get this repaired, but I was curious to see if anyone else had encountered thumb grip failures on their E-M10.

2. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've had my E-M10 for about 14 months with no problem as you describe. I use the ECG-1 as the supplemental finger grip.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hank77

Hank77 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 7, 2015
    I haven't heard of any other E-M10 users reporting the issue, so it did seem odd when it popped off!

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's crazy! Sorry man :(

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know it is very unscientific, but I swear I hear of more minor issues like this with the E-M10 than any other camera.

6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    I thought the same thing when I saw this post, but rather about Olympus cameras in general -- is it just because there are more Olympus cameras out there to hear about?

7. tkbslc

Maybe, but I don't remember there being this many posts about Canon issues on the Canon forums. Canon probably has >25 cameras out there for each Olympus.

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I thought that of the EM5... The EM10 issues only seemed to materialize after I got mine :/

9. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    It’s all about brand loyalty. Many years ago (before personal computers or cell phones) a car salesman, who had experience in selling both brands, explained it to me in this way. If the door fell off a Ford the owner would come in and yell and rant as if the world was coming to an end. If the same thing happened to a Chevy owner they would just bring the door in and ask to have it repaired. It’s not so much that Canon or any other brand does not have their own issues but how owners of those cameras respond to those issues. I believe it was in Blunty’s review of the E-M5 that he indicated the camera had been dropped by a previous tester but continued to function perfectly.

10. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    First, I think there may be more Olympus ILMC cameras than Panasonic ILMC cameras, hence more problems from a just plain larger user base. Second, Olympus and Panasonic are a lot more cutting edge than Canikon. There are a lot more radically different camera bodies from µ43's production than from Canikon who simply modify an existing production line to suit the newer camera, so they modify the production run for a D3200 into a D3300. Less bugs in the production run for upgrades. Olympus is trying to standardize their production runs with OMD and Pen lines. Panasonic is also doing this but there is a lot more problems because they are modifying their camera platforms a lot more, (i.e., GM series, new G7, new GX8?). Of course this is just my speculation on what I see on the internet.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    [QUOTE="Hank77, post: 780454, member: 25091"... and it broke off. ..[/QUOTE]
    Post a photo of the problem, sounds intriguing.

12. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    Wow. i don't actually believe this. I just picked up an E-M10 recently and the thumb grip looks pretty solid. This worries me now, because maybe it's not as secure as I think. You'd think if there was a screw it would be pretty secure, but now I am going to think twice

13. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Seconded.
    pics_or_it_didnt_happen_retro_tshirt-p235350460184511443qj9v_328_zpsa77184e3. ;)

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It woulda never've happened with a Thumb-Notch.

15. tkbslc

Do you know anyone that sells those?

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
  17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    • Like Like x 1
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks for the clarification! That image has a wee bit of an optical illusion. :coco: It looks like the thumb notch could be either concave or convex depending on the shadow.

19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I was way off base on what the topic was, a thumb notch not a thumb grip. I did however run across a much better deal for a thumb grip, it's only $14.95!
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1032640-REG/fotodiox_thumb_grip_b_pro_thumb_grip_for.html
    Please excuse this momentary interruption from the original topic.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Bank transfers accepted : introductory price $90.03
    full.

• Like Like x 3