1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Throwing Klotz

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by entropicremnants, Feb 23, 2013.

1. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I had a chance to shoot at the old Klotz Throwing Company... aka Lonaconing Silk. Built in the 19th century and upgraded from steam to electric, but not much else, lol.

Everything was shot either with the E-M5 and 9-18mm, or the E-PL5 and 17mm f/1.8.

8501153541_308986a50e_z.
    Throwing Klotz: She was Gone, But Remained in Spirit... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8501153361_589bdf93fc_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Connections by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502260226_16711e974f_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Data Server by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502260088_5172d3072f_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Everything Suddenly Stopped by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8501152989_c894786407_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Prince Albert, Canned by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502259908_1ef8d8d03a_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Oilfield by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502259754_2741a1ec40_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Futility by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502259624_e09800c3a5_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Industial Hygiene by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502259496_4df2ffa3d7_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Freight Elevator by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8502259332_215aa34716_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Walk-in Dryer and Solitary Cell by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 21
  2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Beautiful compositions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks much!

4. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    I really like historic stuff like this, well captured. :thumbup:

How did you get on with lighting? Is it all ambient, some flash, bounce? would be interested as normally these sort of places are pretty dark.

• Like Like x 1
  5. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Hi and first of all, thanks!

Light is highly variable in these for sure -- from nearly totally dark to nicely lit enough for handheld. It was almost totally dark for "Futility" where the switches and stuff were and the basement behind comparatively light. I used longish exposure and 5 shot, 1 stop exposure brackets for shots like that, then did them as HDR -- though I always try for a photo-realistic look.

"Oilfield" is another HDR needed because the shadows under and around the drums would have been BLACK if I exposed for highlights, or the light areas in the background would have been blown out if I exposed for shadows, even with 13 stops of dynamic range of the E-M5.

All the shots though are ambient light. I LOVE the ambient light and shadows in these places and do whatever I have to to capture it. I would say maybe one in 200 or so of my urbex shots use light painting or flash assist and none of the shots from this run did.

Learning the limits of your gear and processing tools and how to use them to capture wide dynamic range and dark conditions is to my way of thinking one of the most difficult skills to acquire in this work. I can very seldom capture what my eye sees and how I envision a shot in these places without long exposures (sometimes even minutes long) and/or HDR techniques.

Finding an angle that gives you a good composition without getting some weird flare from a hole in the wall or a window where bright light is coming in can be challenge too. All lenses do that to some extent and it can ruin a shot very easily.

I use Adobe Lightroom for all processing and the HDR system I use is called "Enfuse LR" from Photographers Toolbox. It's "donation ware" and affordable to almost anyone if you already have Lightroom. There's a standalone version also but I've never used it.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 4
  6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, I appreciate it.

Well, I never spotted the "HDRs", so very well done indeed :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    WOW!!! Marvelous shots. This is the exact genera I love to shoot. it's amazing it hasn't been trashed!

• Like Like x 1
  8. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The owner works hard to preserve it but he needs help. Those of us who shoot there actually pay him for access. He has some donors lining up from the historical society, and a major hardware store chain that are putting together a package to restore the roof -- which is one of the worst threats to the place at this time.

9. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    A few more I have. Probably don't have a lot more. I'm a slow careful shooter in these places nowadays and I don't go for quantity and usually need to make multiple trips to get everything I want, lol.

13 shots may not seem like a lot for 3.5 hours of shooting -- but if I get ONE I actually like I'm okay with any trip.

8504341490_a978aaedff_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Silk Mill Still Life by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8503232979_0e1466c28c_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Outside, the World Moved On by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

8504340840_c5156abbd0_z.
    Throwing Klotz: Row Upon Row Upon Row by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
  10. DPitts

DPitts Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh NC
    Doug Pitts
    very nicely done...clean work. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Very cool, makes me want to visit just to soak in the history and sense of time gone by.

• Like Like x 1
  12. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think many may get started this way in photography, lol. First they go just to experience it -- then they want to share the sights and feelings.

Even simple abandoned houses and what not can surprise you with what you find and present a poignant scene to capture.

We had a fellow on this trip who'd never done this and wasn't even a photographer who was capturing whatever he could on his iPhone.

• Like Like x 1
  13. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    • Like Like x 4
  14. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Great images!

This looks like a "must see" for me. I really like old factories, having been in and around them for decades. I once worked in an electronics assembly plant in Burlington New Jersey, which had been a shoe factory during the Civil War, then a knitting mill. One of the maintenance guys found an ancient American flag one day in the attic.

How far is Lonacoming from where you are in Kenneth Square?

• Like Like x 1
  15. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Mike, it's almost exactly four hours. It's not really a bad ride from here as my GPS skirted Baltimore for the most part. I went down route 1 to I think 43, then I-70 to I-68.

Nice country up through the mountains and I bet if one explored up there some nice abandonment but I didn't have the time or energy on this trip.

My trip was arranged through a friend of mine named Marc Reed who is a writer, painter, videographer and photographer -- just an all around "over acheiver", lol. He's also a great guy.

His website is: MarcReed.com and you can contact him through there for more information about Herb and how to set up a trip. I don't have the information or I'd share it with you directly.

Thanks for the compliment!

• Like Like x 1
  16. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Dang. Love the color, contrast, just wonderful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Excellent set. And thank you for the detailed explanation. This thread is book marked for me to go back and learn shooting technique and composition.

• Like Like x 1
  18. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Thanks for the gracious comments! You guys are great.

I am self taught and by no means a high expert -- but if you see something in my photography that you are wondering about how to achieve I'll be happy to share techniques I use.

My personal feeling is that it's not going to hurt me to tell you what I do because you still won't get "my" shots, and I'll never get "yours". Technique is wonderful but useless without the self expression brought to it by the individual.

Thanks again.

19. Azon

Azon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Hi John,
    I'm not a HDR fan but I love what I see here... It's excellent photo work and it's shiny from any look: composition, colours and choice of subjects. Thanks for the pleasure!
    Do you use tripod or it's hand held?

• Like Like x 1
  20. entropicremnants

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    "Shiny"? Are we a "Firefly" fan? If so you have a kindred spirit and I love the compliment, thanks!

I'm not a big fan of the more extreme HDR processing although I really went "Wow!" the first time I saw it. But as I looked at more and more, I became convinced that the effect sometimes swallowed the subject and took a different direction. There are practitioners of more extreme HDR though that pay attention to the basics and their shots works very well indeed. I have a few friends who process that way and make it work.

Most shots here are tripod. A few are handheld but there is no handheld HDR in this set. The photo of the pressure gauge for instance was handheld with the E-PL5. For most of the day I had the E-M5 on the tripod with the 9-18mm and the E-PL5 with the 17mm f/1.8 around my neck for handheld stuff but not a lot was in good enough light. At the very end I put a tripod plate on the E-PL5 and shot it on the tripod with the 17mm.

I do occasionally do some handheld HDR brackets. The software I mentioned (Enfuse LR) has a pretty robust alignment function -- but I usually only do that in brighter light with short shutter speeds where the full frame rate can fire to minimize the differences in the shots.

Thanks again.