Thrift Shop Finds

I've been looking for one of these for some time, if I had a third arm I'd have shown the kickstand and shutter modes. Came with a really nice soft case with an interestingly ornate button that I should also have shown. I can't figure out Instagram video -- some takes had audio, some didn't, some takes offered stabilization, others didn't. ‾\_(ツ)_/‾

http://instagr.am/p/B3IgcAPBVON/

Last edited:
Cool little camera. Never heard of Univex before. Good luck finding film..... :)
Thanks, Universal, the company that made these models also made the Mercury 1/2 frame cameras, which you may have seen -- I have some shots up on Flickr taken with my Mercury II CX, where the model II moved from Univex film to the more common 35mm.

And yeah, people have cut down 120 film for respooling -- sounds like a lot of work, but the camera did have an empty spool inside. I haven't checked the paper bellows for light leaks, but on the outside it looks pretty good, so it might a future project to add to my ever growing pile of rainy day projects. ;)

Last edited:
Dangggg pretty interesting finds here! The only worthwhile find that I had in Goodwill was a Nikon 50mm f1.8 AIS long nose which seemed fine with little oil on blades. Bought it for $20, came home in anticipation of opening it up and cleaning it only to realize the aperture ring would only go past till f4 or so.
I am fairly certain it was fine in the store, probably something broke on the way home. I opened it up nevertheless and was never able to put it back. Now I have $20 worth of metal and glass parts and screws in Planters Peanuts can.

Dangggg pretty interesting finds here! The only worthwhile find that I had in Goodwill was a Nikon 50mm f1.8 AIS long nose which seemed fine with little oil on blades. Bought it for $20, came home in anticipation of opening it up and cleaning it only to realize the aperture ring would only go past till f4 or so.
I am fairly certain it was fine in the store, probably something broke on the way home. I opened it up nevertheless and was never able to put it back. Now I have $20 worth of metal and glass parts and screws in Planters Peanuts can.
Goodwill has their own auction site, so most camera items get shipped to a central location where they are photographed and posted for bids. I have, on rare occasion, found stuff in Goodwill stores that was overlooked by staff, but most of the time it's been a pointless visit.

Sorry to hear about your Nikon find, I have several lenses that have met the same fate, and some that are possibly awaiting the same fate when get around to them. ;)

smartiepants

Mu-43 Veteran
found this working projector with a box of medium format slides that look like stock pictures rather than someones holiday snaps all from 1961/62, its complete even down to the focus filament adaptor used to set it up, it has the slide adapters to fit 35mm as well, going to have a lot of fun with this
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
May have paid too much but couldn't resist. I gave a guy $50 For a Pentax K1000, a Pentax 50 f/2, a Focal (old Kmart brand) 135mm f/2.8 (with NO aperture mechanism!), and Albinar flash, and a nice little case. But the goal was this all original Argus C3 with a 1953 manufacture date. The cool part is the original leather speed case, flash unit, and all of the original paperwork. Argus were made here in Ann Arbor MI. A couple of quick crappy pics:

Arg1 by telecast, on Flickr
Arg2 by telecast, on Flickr

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Send it off to Gnarlydog and he'll adapt it to bayonet onto an m43 camera. :roflmao:
probably can be done.
If the "flange distance" is greater than 20mm most likely it can be refitted. But even if the lens will focus at infinity closer than that, as long as it's rather small it can be "recessed" into the "throat" of the camera (possibly by a thin C-mount adapter and some gluing.
I have been known to use PVC plumbing fittings to create a viable helicoid on short lenses

Helios-89 refit components_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

A sample image from that lens

forest feed by gnarlydog, on Flickr

May have paid too much but couldn't resist. I gave a guy $50 For a Pentax K1000, a Pentax 50 f/2, a Focal (old Kmart brand) 135mm f/2.8 (with NO aperture mechanism!), and Albinar flash, and a nice little case. But the goal was this all original Argus C3 with a 1953 manufacture date. The cool part is the original leather speed case, flash unit, and all of the original paperwork. Argus were made here in Ann Arbor MI. A couple of quick crappy pics:

View attachment 780703Arg1 by telecast, on Flickr
View attachment 780704Arg2 by telecast, on Flickr
$50 for the K1000 and the C 3? I wouldn't say you paid too much at all -- used K1000 can go for a lot more than that, and the brick looks pristine. That Cintar lens can be adapted to m43 and is actually a pretty impressive lens, sharp and contrasty. There are example shots in the Adapted Lens Showcase forum if you're interested.

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
$50 for the K1000 and the C 3? I wouldn't say you paid too much at all -- used K1000 can go for a lot more than that, and the brick looks pristine. That Cintar lens can be adapted to m43 and is actually a pretty impressive lens, sharp and contrasty. There are example shots in the Adapted Lens Showcase forum if you're interested.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

After repeatedly complaining about the dearth of deals in my new home town's thrift shops, I've been luckier of late, and today there was a large lot of super cheap Soviet-era lenses on the shelf to tempt me.

http://instagr.am/p/B3u4QrvBphq/
Back-to-front:
Mir 38B 65mm f3.5 wide angle lens for Kiev 88 medium format camera
Telemar-22 5.6/200
Industar-26M 2.8/52
Industar-50 3.5/50
Industar-22 3.5/50 collapsible
Industar-61 2.8/53
Industar-69 2.8/28 still sealed in package
Helios 44-2 2/58
Industar-61 2.8/55
Helios 92 2/90 projector lens

I left behind a couple enlarger lenses, a bulky macro lens, and a 135mm (I've never really gotten along with that focal length).

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Picked up an Avigon 80-200 f/4.5 Macro for $11. Looks like a typical zoom from the period, glass looks extra clean and no goo inside. Can't find much info on the brand, seems like Makinon and Kiron pop up in a search so I am assuming they're all by the same factory. It appears to be a Minolta mount and came with a Minolta rear cap.

Anyone have any info on the brand, or am I close enough?

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
Picked up an Avigon 80-200 f/4.5 Macro for $11. Looks like a typical zoom from the period, glass looks extra clean and no goo inside. Can't find much info on the brand, seems like Makinon and Kiron pop up in a search so I am assuming they're all by the same factory. It appears to be a Minolta mount and came with a Minolta rear cap.

Anyone have any info on the brand, or am I close enough?
Hi, I haven't heard of Avigon before, but Kiron (aka Kino) lenses tend to be well made and have a good reputation for image quality.

Boy777

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eugene
Not sure if it is a good find, but anyway... Kiev-60 with Mir-26B and TTL prism. The lens is marked "Made in Ukraine". Main functions like shooter, aperture, etc. look working properly. Was $19.99 in Vallue Village.

Last edited:

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
Sorry, flipped the front element and lent it to a friend who expressed an interest in playing with modified lenses. ;)
No worries. I don't know that you set the fire, but I kept looking at images from the Helios 58mm versions and kept looking for an example, and one found me on another site. Should have it next week.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom