Thrift Shop Finds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Artorius, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I want to hear all about your thrift shop/pawn shop/bargain lens and camera finds! Tell me how you've adopted lost and forgotten, maybe even abused pieces of photography equipment. I'll start.

Perhaps one of my greatest thrift shop finds was a Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8 for $5 at a Community Thrift. It was definitely a bargain and the lens was in great shape! The only problem was a filter which was stuck! I eventually got it off with no damage to the lens and ended up taking some great portraits with the lens. However, I recently sold it for $30. Thats a $25 profit!

Overall, I've had good experiences with thrift stores/pawn shops. So let me hear about yours! Pictures are welcome. I would show my Konica, but I sold it :tongue:
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    My best deal is IMO an Agfa 6*9 folding camera for £1. Worth that for interest value alone (and subsequently included in a display at the local library).
    I have to admit I've not yet put a film through it, but it seems to be in reasonable working order...

I've also scooped a Zenit E camera system (body, 55mm M42 lens, flash, filters & a original case)for £5, and a reasonable quality fisheye adapter for £12...
  3. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Funny enough I made a stop at the thrift store on the way home today and picked up a Konica TC-X for $9.99. I bet you can't guess which lens it had on it... That right! The Konica Hexanon 40mm f1.8. I think this is a sign to keep using it for portrait work. I'll have some pictures up soon
  4. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I've picked up a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 for $5 and a Pentax 50mm in the original box for 10.
  5. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Six film cameras and four digitals in a grab bag for $16 USD plus $12 shipping from the auction site. Five of the film cameras are compacts with no value, although they probably work. Two still had film in them. The sixth is a working KX1000 w/o lens.

Of the digitals, one was a dead Coolpix L18, which offered a few hours of fun to take apart and see how the lens motor worked. The other three are a working Oly Stylus 820, Fuji A210, and Coolpix 5600. Included were a 1MB XD card, and three SD cards 1MB-2MB. The Fuji and Coolpix run on AA's and the Oly uses the same battery as my WP-560.

Bottom line, maybe a total waste of money, but the KX1000 sure feels like a sweet machine, smoother than my old OM1.

Attached Files:

6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

I like the Pentax in there! Is that naked camera the Coolpix?
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I've got two:

Tamron 200-400mm f5.6 AF-LD in Nikon mount - $50

Konica Auto S2 - $5 works perfectly, which the store-owner didn't know because he lacked the proper battery for the meter.
  8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Yes, I couldn't get the lens assembly out from the front. Its extending barrels are jammed, but the motor that turns it will still spin. It's now a good source for little screws.
  9. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I once walked into a Goodwill store (my wife was looking for something) and saw a 90mm tokina macro 2.5 lens. Didn't know what it was at the time, but looked brand new and had an idea, that I could make some money off it. I just purchased the Oly 60mm so one had to go. It was $29.95 so I looked on e bay on my phone and one just sold a day before for $455.00 (also nikon mount)

Anyway, I sold it for $435.00
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Wow!! Ive been on a hunt too around LA for this kind of bargains.Im mostly looking for Minolta lenses.hope you can share where you shop :biggrin:
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Probably my best thrift store find was an Epson Perfection 4990 scanner in perfect working order for $15. I still have it on my computer and use it to scan large format negatives -- up to 8x10, though I don't personally have any that large.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

Now if that isn't a success story I don't know what is!

@GeBathan- I found the Konica at an Inland Empire Thrift Shop. But if you're looking for some good photography finds in LA take a drive down to the corner of Florence and Pacific in Huntington Park. Just keep driving down Florence and you'll find a plethora of pawn shops with old SLR lenses.
  13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Nice.. I am a Minolta Hound myself.. Glad your on the other coast :wink: less competition, Tho I would suspect we may have done battle on eBay in the past.:biggrin:

I have never found any thrift store lenses, they all seem to know the value of old cameras here in the NYC tri-state area. Tho I always figured, that if I went way out to some place in country, away from the city, I might be able to find a deal. So when I went on a trip once way up state, I stopped at a salvation army in the middle of western NY (farm country) and found my only one.
    There in a box of old Point and shoot plastic cameras, marked $3ea, I found the cult classic, Vivitar Ultra wide and slim camera. They usually sell for around $50 on the used market, god only knows why. I figured i should run a roll of film through it and see what all the fuss was about before I decided if I wanted to sell it.
    That was 2 years ago and I haven't finished the roll of film yet. With a 22mm f/11 lens its hard finding the the right situation when i would use it. Also I wish I had not used a 36exp roll of film.
  14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

:frown: I hate you .. also people that win the lottery.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    I got a Velour jumpsuit and some house slippers
    (From the thrift shop down the road)
    • Like Like x 5
  16. RedNumber5

RedNumber5 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2010
    Antioch, CA
    SLR cameras I've gotten was a couple of Canon FD cameras, the EF and FTBn, and a Pentax K1000. Lenses I've gotten are the Yashica 60mm f/2.8 Tomioka and my steal of all time was an Olympus OM 35mm f/2.0 that was still in its case. Unfortunately looks like the multicoating on it has some specks rubbed off on it but it doesn't seem to affect the image though.

I've found an Olympus XA2 and a Yashica T4 Super for point & shoot cameras. The Zeiss lens on the Yashica is so contrasty and sharp that I can't believe how great an image you can get with such a small lens. Favorite film to go with it is Fuji Pro 400H.
  17. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I usually don't do thrift stores very much, however I do a lot of estate sales. Favorite finds this spring and summer have been a Minolta MD Rokor X 50mm 1.4 ($20), the Minolta MC Rokor PF 55mm 1.7 ($5), and a nifty Pentax 28mm 2.8 ($5). Not to forget a Voitlander Bessa 66 bellows style rangefinder camera ($10) and a Bell & Howell/Canon Canonette ($7.50). Plus sundry sets of Hoya filters. Great fun.
  18. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This Konica T3n was one of my recent finds for $20 with lens and case. I just replaced the leather covering with this nice Teal Green one.

Konica Autoflex T3n by dbuckle2695, on Flickr
  19. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I found one very similar to that (maybe older version), but broken up and for ten bucks. It had my Hexanon 57/1.4 on the front of it though. :)
  20. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I jus picked up an absolutely pristine mint Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f2.8~4.0 Komine version, in Nikon AI-S mount, for $19. This lens literally looks unused.
    • Like Like x 1