Three Olympus software updates released.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
FYI-

Just ran the Olympus Workspace software update and noticed there were three software updates released.

Don't know what the three were as that screen disappeared when I began the OK to download. Probably Workspace, Capture, and Viewer 3 (I still use it.)

Readme.txt shows this for "Workspace":
Ver. 1.4 September 1, 2020
* Support for M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-45mm F4.0 PRO
* System Requirements have changed.
(Windows 7 / Windows 8 is no longer supported)

Last edited:

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Hmmm... in the past, updates have preceded new cameras/ lenses or FW updates. EM1X FW2 coming soon?

doady

Mu-43 Regular
Luckily I use Capture One or else I would have to replace my 12 years old Windows 7 machine. Maybe I should replace it anyway.

Real Name
Angus
Don't know what the three were as that screen disappeared when I began the OK to download. Probably Workspace, Capture, and Viewer 3 (I still use it.)
The third one's the Olympus Capture Help (which gets updates seperately from OC itself)

OC Capture Notes. Nothing to see here.

Ver. 2.2 September 1, 2020
* The Privacy Policy has been revised.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmm... in the past, updates have preceded new cameras/ lenses or FW updates. EM1X FW2 coming soon?
I got a feeling that something would happen given the Oly > JIP sale today and why I checked the software. Maybe the software people got their walking papers so this might be the final update pending any others in que like the E-M1X "Birds" that has been floated for a couple of years now.

I don't like the sound of JIP pushing Olympus into a holding company that JIP created. Olympus prior was pushing a lot of stock in advance of the company's sell-off to clear their shelves and squeak out the last bit of revenue. I keep thinking of PromarkBrands in the USA that takes in photo gear that goes out to pasture and maintains warranties until the stock supply runs out. They still peddle old stock (e.g. Quantum Trio flash units.) as new built in 2009 where the company folded in 2013. Must have made a lot of them to keep stock that long, and I still think the one I bought four years ago was old or used when I bought it new for $1,500. (My stoopid GAS purchase. Its cheap plastic casing cracks being old so needs lots of glue.).

I would think Olympus would have pushed their 150-400mm f/4 out before the sell-off if it was truly spectacular too, but they keep holding back and seems it will be the holding companies lens. Price will likely be higher much as what happened to Leica when they got taken over by the NYC holding outfit.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of the Big 3. With Nikon's new announcement of a new Z6II and Z7II in mid-Oct (They adopted the II idea rather than the Z7s - Shades of Olympus E-M1II and E-M1III maybe ??), it might give them a mirrorless sales boost with Olympus gone. The ILC field is getting smaller and likely will go to the FF guys, and anything smaller goes to the cellphone crowd - maybe even the APC/DX sized group.

Oh well. If the Olympus USA Repair is a third-party outfit (I think they are?), they likely will fix this stuff for as long as parts are available. Might end up being like the old light meter repair guy in Los Angeles who works out of a Pack-and-Ship store's drop off, or the Profoto flash guy who works out of his garage too. I dealt with repairs when Minolta folded and they still fixed things for free (sometimes) and billed back as "Final repair - No charge to customer." Or the dreaded "Parts Not Available" stamped on the repair order and sometimes stuffed disassembled in a baggie too, but someone tried to fix it down there but gave up and bagged it. It was fun to watch the boss try and explain that one to customers: "What the hell happened to my camera?" :hide:

hoggdoc

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I got a feeling that something would happen given the Oly > JIP sale today and why I checked the software. Maybe the software people got their walking papers so this might be the final update pending any others in que like the E-M1X "Birds" that has been floated for a couple of years now.

I don't like the sound of JIP pushing Olympus into a holding company that JIP created. Olympus prior was pushing a lot of stock in advance of the company's sell-off to clear their shelves and squeak out the last bit of revenue. I keep thinking of PromarkBrands in the USA that takes in photo gear that goes out to pasture and maintains warranties until the stock supply runs out. They still peddle old stock (e.g. Quantum Trio flash units.) as new built in 2009 where the company folded in 2013. Must have made a lot of them to keep stock that long, and I still think the one I bought four years ago was old or used when I bought it new for $1,500. (My stoopid GAS purchase. Its cheap plastic casing cracks being old so needs lots of glue.).

I would think Olympus would have pushed their 150-400mm f/4 out before the sell-off if it was truly spectacular too, but they keep holding back and seems it will be the holding companies lens. Price will likely be higher much as what happened to Leica when they got taken over by the NYC holding outfit.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of the Big 3. With Nikon's new announcement of a new Z6II and Z7II in mid-Oct (They adopted the II idea rather than the Z7s - Shades of Olympus E-M1II and E-M1III maybe ??), it might give them a mirrorless sales boost with Olympus gone. The ILC field is getting smaller and likely will go to the FF guys, and anything smaller goes to the cellphone crowd - maybe even the APC/DX sized group.

Oh well. If the Olympus USA Repair is a third-party outfit (I think they are?), they likely will fix this stuff for as long as parts are available. Might end up being like the old light meter repair guy in Los Angeles who works out of a Pack-and-Ship store's drop off, or the Profoto flash guy who works out of his garage too. I dealt with repairs when Minolta folded and they still fixed things for free (sometimes) and billed back as "Final repair - No charge to customer." Or the dreaded "Parts Not Available" stamped on the repair order and sometimes stuffed disassembled in a baggie too, but someone tried to fix it down there but gave up and bagged it. It was fun to watch the boss try and explain that one to customers: "What the hell happened to my camera?" :hide:
I agree the possibility of it not being pretty is looming. Lucky I'm nearing the end of my serious shooting and don't see myself spending much on newer equipment in the future.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom