1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Three new Olympus bodies for June 30th

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by bilzmale, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

43 Rumors has stated that Oly will announce three new bodies on June 30th. LINK:

This only seems to add to the confusing range of Pens.

The E-PM1 (for mini) fits between GF2 and GF3 for size. The E-PL3 is bigger mainly becuase it has a tilt screen but loses its pop-up flash. Finally the E-P3 is not a pro model but is better built. Strangely it adds a flash but not a tilt screen.

Remember these are rumors but graded FT5 - or 81-99% chance of being true.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    No sensor upgrade= no interest.

Gordon

3. jlabate

jlabate Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2010
    ditto.

4. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    new olympus bodies

+1

5. Nikolai

Nikolai New to Mu-43

Jun 15, 2011
    anyone to confirm this with more details or certainty?

anyone to conform this with more details or certainty? thanks..:smile:

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nikolai, this was initially leaked by a Japanese blog (digicame-info.com) last month and more recently by Thom Hogan (both of those discussed in other threads on this site). The part which 43 Rumors added to the discussion was that the E-PL3 (Lite) will have a flip LCD (like NEX not like G3) while the E-P3 will not, and that the E-P3 will have a flash and the E-PL3 not. The E-PM1 (Mini) is apparently a simplified (fewer controls), stripped down (no flip LCD), and slightly smaller version of the E-PL3.

The sensor issue is unclear. The 43 Rumors admin, Andreas, indicated that the sensor was a new one, but further down in the comments he seemed unsure. Thom Hogan implied that it was not a new one.

7. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Q

Ahhh... but we have only 15 more days to keep guessing!:eek:

8. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    What a confusing array of bodies. And still none that do what I want!

* Full manual control over aperture/shutter/ISO
    * Built in EVF
    * E-P1 size is OK -- no need for smaller
    * Fully configurable soft buttons
    * One button manual focus aid that does not interfere with other controls
    * Tilt screen (like Sony NEX)

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I wonder if the one on the EPL3 will be tilt-up like the Nex or tilt-out like the Panasonic G bodies? If the former, I'd give this camera a serious look. If the latter, I won't even give it a glance.

-Ray

10. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the sensors sound NOW like they are indeed new and somehow optimized to radically increase the speed of focus in certain lenses (although it's uncertain what its' affect will be with the other lenses in the system). We will have to wait to see how these new sensor perform in all respects, but Oly is obviously quite confident in them to put them in all 3 cameras straight out of the gate.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've read comments from two people who claim to have seen it (one was sent to me as a tip) that it will be like the NEX, not the G. I'm interested for this reason also. Love that NEX flip screen!

12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yup, that's where I am at, too.

13. Nah, give me a fully articulated screen a la Panasonic, although size constraints may mean a NEX-style screen will be as far as they can go.

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like the Panasonic style as well, but since I already have one of those, I'd prefer a flip style for a second camera. I think the NEX style is ideal for a street shooter, while the Panasonic style is more flexible for a variety of other applications, eg video, shooting at odd angles, etc.

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, that's where I am too. There are already a LOT of camera options if you like the flip out style that Panasonic uses. But the Nex and the Sony SLTs are the only ones I'm aware of with the flip UP style which means the Nex is the only smallish one. A pen-style camera with fast AF and that screen would be 2/3 of the way to my dream street cam. Now just need a silent (or even relatively quiet) shutter. But I gather that's not really doable with an interchangeable lens camera. I like the Nex just fine, but I've got all of the pancake focal lengths for an Olympus version.

-Ray