Three new lenses.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 16, 2014.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm all for the 25mm f/1.8 and the 14-42mm compact zoom. I'll buy both.

They fullfill two of my personal needs that are not currently met by MFT system. Something closer to 50mm equiv that isn't as large as the PannyLeica 25mm. This would replace the 20mm f/1.7.

A compact all around zoom that is more compact than the Olympus kit zooms 12-50 and the original 14-42 collapsable. i was tempted by the Panasonic 12-32 but was holding out.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Well....I can say that list is a little disappointing as it doesn't cover any new range. Still awaiting something professional with some reach. That is sorely lacking in the M43 lineup.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Agree with the compact zoom (and holding out on the Panasonic) though I would have preferred the 12mm at the wide end, the idea of the Panasonic having no controls on the lens (like for manual focusing) and everything going through menus sort of discouraged me.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I had similar thoughts; on the one hand, I think this indicates just how mature the system is getting that we can resort to fleshing out existing focal ranges like the 25mm with varied speed and price options. On the other hand, there's still a couple things I'm really waiting to see like some high end fast telephoto glass.

Back on topic - that 25mm f/1.8 will make a lot of people happy I'm sure! And that 14-42mm looks ridiculously compact... impressive. The fisheye is rather a specialty lens on two counts being a fixed f/8 *and* a fisheye, but I'm assuming they're going for something like the 15mm lens cap where it's competing on novelty factor and price.
  5. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    The pictures might not be to scale, the mounts appear to have a different diameter for the 25 and the zoom. The 25 may be a little bigger than it looks.

Side Note: The compact zoom suggests (to me) that Oly will further shrink the future e-pm3 and possibly distinguish it further from the e-pl7.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am eager to see the new 25mm and the BCL{love the 15mm BCL!}. I have wanted a standard lens since I first started m4/3. The Panasonic 20mm is a bit wider than I like and the Sigma 30mm is a bit too long. The Pana-Leica 25mm is overpriced in my opinion although I have kept an eye out for one on sale{never found one}. Now I can get the standard lens I wanted and it can focus closer than the Panasonic 25mm. It is a bit slower in max aperture but I can live with that.

I don't really want a kit lens although I do appreciate the compact design of this one. Between the Olympus 14-42mm and the Panasonic 12-32mm I much prefer the Olympus. Sure the extra bit on the wide end is nice BUT I personally hate kit zooms that don't go beyond the standard focal range.
  7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    ....and there are VERY good reasons for that ! ;)
    • Like Like x 5
  8. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The system desperately needed an equivalent to a "fast-50" f/1.8 lens in it. Biggest hole in the system, now plugged by Olympus. Good job ☺
    • Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

They will be on sale shortly. Now there is a choice and people won't have to overpay anymore.
  10. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Hopefully this announcement will bring down the price of the 12-32, which I plan to get because I'd prefer more on the wide than on the long end (plus I have a lot of longer primes). I don't necessarily need the size of the 12-32 because I don't have the money to travel anymore, but since I can handle the size of the 12-35, I can't afford it. Too bad the bigger one wasn't cheaper :)

The Oly 14-42 held my attention for a couple days until I realized it's not 12~mm :(
  11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Was just about to purchase a P25mm F1.4 having saved up now Olympus finally announce the F1.8......

Help!!!!! I need reviews, performance charts, pictures etc etc before my other half spends the money in something else.........
  12. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I am a little disappointed that the Oly mini zoom is another 14-42, I was hoping for another alternative to the Panasonic 12-32 that I can only see for sale as an import or well over priced here. The 25 1.8 is tempting if its around the same IQ as the PL one and the 9mm if reasonably priced and half decent for its type may well be purchased. That being said if the Oly zoom is good quality I may get it for its superb size.
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The Pan-Leica is faster and that costs money. Oly may have made a better business decision to make their version a bit slower and aiming at a sub $400 price point but that doesn't mean the other is rip-off. For example the Nikon 50 1.8 is $217 and the 1.4 version is $439.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia

Just curious....what's with all the 'over priced' stuff ?

Just asking because the Pana Leica 25mm has always been a groundbreaking lens.

1. It was the FIRST and ONLY 50mm eqv AF lens in the format.
    2. It is now well over 5 years before an alternate 50mm equivalent focal length AF lens has become available. (well, the Oly 25mm isn't even available YET).
    3. Since the birth of the format it has been (and still currently is)...the fastest (largest aperture) AF lens available.
    4. Scour the web day and night for tests and reviews and you'll find the PL25 has been almost permanently parked at (or very close to) the top of just about every m43 'best of' list for sharpness and most other lens measure you care to inspect.
    5. It has also long been a favourite of users, often taking out either first or second place in various "must have'...'one lens only'....or 'favourite' lens lists.
    6. The lens has often been described as having a particular rendering that many have called 'special' or 'unique' or 'full of character'...the lens arguably has that something special about that distinguishes it from just about every other lens in the format.

I mean really, over-priced ? ...I find it hard to see any merit in that claim given that the Pana Leica 25mm was without doubt a groundbreaking lens, a first for the format with regards to both focal length and aperture size and on top of it all is optically and mechanically a superb piece of work.

Premium high performance products that are 'firsts' of any sort in their field or are the only option available for a given task (or BOTH) invariably come with a price tag to suite. The price tag of the PL25 incorporates ALL those things.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. speedandstyle

Because it is overpriced! Granted it isn't WAY overpriced but it is higher than equivalent lenses in other systems. It was the only 25mm{50mm equiv.} available and so the price stuck out even more and felt like Panasonic was gouging. If Olympus had put out this new 25mm first and then Panasonic added their 25mm the price might not have felt so high.

I also think you are paying an extra $100 just for the Leica name. This is what they have done with the new Leica compact camera $100+ more just to have the Leica logo on it! Of coarse it could be worse and you could buy one of the Hasselblad monstrosities{rebadged and uglized Sony for double the price}.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I doubt it. It's a very special lens. I had to let go of mine for a financial emergency, but it was my favorite m4/3 lens, even when it was a bit too contrasty.

I just don't think this is a lens that is going to go down just because a cheaper normal is around. People who want it, really do want it badly enough to pay the $500. For that, I don't think is it overpriced. I got mine for $549, and always felt it was worth every penny. New Olympus 45mm f1.8 lenses are still selling new for $399, because they are worth it.

The PL25mm has become something of a legend already. I expect it will very largely hold its value in new retail. Those buying used may look twice at a brand new Olympus for cheaper than the PL25.
  17. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    There is a Leica tax, no doubt about it. The 25 1.4 is a great lens though and looking at image of the forthcoming Oly 25 1.8, there doesn't seem on the face of it, any need to get it if you already have the "Leica". Having said that, don't think I'd have got the "Leica" if the new oly 25 was available. Looks like the same as the 45 bar the obvious focal length difference (and maybe a little wider?) and if that's the case it'll be excellent.
  18. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    To me the new 25 looks like just what the system needs, and I want one even if I already have the (NOT overpriced imo) pl25. It would be awesome with a smallish body and a small, cheapish prime trinity-kit. Ep-x, p14, oly25, oly45. Now that is a complete, cool little package. Makes me think of the brochures for the Hexar RF. Everything m43 has promised it would be.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    This is, as hoped, a lens more like the simplicity of the 45mm, instead of the 12mm and 17mm. Casing wise, it looks like a slightly shorter 45mm. Suits me fine.