Three New Cosina Voigtlander (CV) Lenses Coming to Micro 4/3 This Year?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Since putting up links for readers to message us regarding rumors, we've received a few anonymous tips. This was the first one I thought was worth publishing.

Our source tells us that Cosina will introduce three additional Voigtlander lenses for Micro 4/3 this year. Currently the only CV lens designed for Micro 4/3 is the 25mm f/0.95 Nokton, a lens which has been consistently sold out due to high demand.

Current Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton

According to the tipster, the three new lenses will be "Super Wide, Wide, and Tele". Looking at the current CV lenses for Leica M/screw mount, one wonders what might be coming to Micro 4/3. What are you hoping to see?

Rumor Grade of Evidence: C

A = Proven source, rumor extremely likely to be correct
    B = Good source, rumor likely to be correct
    C = New source, rumor plausible
    • Like Like x 3
  2. MP Burke

MP Burke Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2010
    Voigtlander do a 12mm ultrawide for 35mm and I think it would be cool to have an equivalent 6mm lens for :43:. Since I have the Olympus 9-18mm, a 6mm is something I might actually buy.
    A close focussing telephoto, say 150mm f2.8, could be a useful, reasonably compact lens for wildlife photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Super wide and tele seem to make sense ... m43 is beyond flush, flat out overruning with 14mm (28 equiv) options, many of which are pretty high quality.

There is a significant hole in tele primes though. Something like a 100mm (200 equiv) f/2 or faster macro would be a game-changer for a lot of folks...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think a lot of people would like a wide angle, manual focus lens with a good distance scale for zone focused street photography.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. travisennis

travisennis Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2010
    A manual focus 17mm that is fast would be a very cool addition. Hopefully these new lenses are a bit cheaper and more readily available than the 0.95/25mm Nokton.
  6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
  7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    I'd love to see a 9mm F4 (18mm EFL) no larger than the CV21/4.
  8. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    I've used CV lenses on my Leica for years, so if this is true, I'll hold off buying anything for a while. Really looking for a wide angle (as, it seems, is everyone else).
  9. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Great news! I better start saving. A super wide will just about set me up nicely. Hopefully, 9mm at F/0.95 aperture for night shots as in the exquisite CV 25mm.
  10. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest

CV range for Leicas hardly a model for mu-4/3: non telecentric designs.

In a hunch, I looked at CV's SLR line-up with chip and contacts, labelled SL-II: pancake 20/3.5, pancake 40/2.0, compact close-focusing 90/3.5. There's also a 58/1.4.
    Given the Nokton 25/0.95 replaces the latter, and Panasonic 20, 14 cover already quite well the moderate WA to standard range, which niches remain?
    A 9 to 10 mm with f/2.x would be appreciated, esp. with good DOF scale.
    Also there's room for another close-up long lens beside the overpriced PanaLeica: the 90/3.5 Apo-Lanthar competes quality- and price-wise against Canikon Macro 100-105 AF lenses.

As for long fast telephoto, I doubt it can be a hit with manual focus and no possible AF-confirm signal.

PS: er... Amin, is this thread a "C" rumour from Anonymous, a market study by Cosina or both? :wink:
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a C rumor, but if it turns out not to be true, hopefully Cosina will use it as a market study :smile:.
  12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The interesting thing here is, like the 25/0.95, CV isn't going after the general market - they seem happy to serve, what is in reality, a small niche market, so it would be enthusiast forums like this that they would use for market research.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Any high end lens manufacturer dedicating themselves to M43 is a pal o' mine, anytime. Further cements the relationship between consumer and format, which I want to see.

In this case the consumer is the niche player, using MF lenses. Not a huge money maker, but I like the way it draws attention away from M43 as being a mere toy.

I am just starting out on a GH2 and notice immediately the advantages of the new sensor. With decent glass there is a distinct leap forward here. Keep it up Pany and Cosina.
  14. jbuch84

jbuch84 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Does oly and pan not allow third party companies to use their auto focus features?
  15. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Not sure about that one. But, companies like CV and Zeiss only make manual focus lenses, as far as I know.

Although Zeiss does sorta make AF lenses under the Sony badge. Not quite sure if Zeiss makes the lenses, or just designs them, and then Sony makes them. Probably the latter.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    They do allow it, but no one has taken advantage. I'm guessing Sigma is hard at work on some AF lenses for our cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Certainly good news if true. One lens I would love to see from them is a portrait lens, in the 40-60mm range. They could certainly make such a lens very fast, and they already have a loyal following, which will more than match their production capacity.
  18. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    As full members of the m43 consortium CV, Ziess, Schneider-Kreuznach and Sigma have full access to the m43 standard. They can implement as much of it as they want in their offerings.

I believe Cosina has made auto-focus lenses in the past, but under contract to others. Sigma had a number of four thirds lenses available and I'd expect the same with m43.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gekopaca

gekopaca Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2010
    Coming from Voigtländer, 12mm f5.6 might be a good option, even if for me it's "just enough" : the 24mm eq. isn't really a "super wide" for me, actually I need a 10mm lens.
  20. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    10mm f2.8? My Olympus 9-18 tends to stay around that end...