1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Three models, three lights: One by sun, one by Mola beauty dish, one by strip

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    So I assisted Julia Dean Photography workshop two weekends ago with the accomplished portrait photographer Howard Rosenberg. Luckily, I also got to shoot the models that were there on the 2nd day. Each of them, I shot and lit in different ways.

All three models were shot with my Panasonic GH2 with the Olympus 45mm f1.8 prime.

• Like Like x 5
  2. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The second model is Olivia Jordan, and I lit her with a Dynalite with a Mola 22" beauty dish with sock. I gotta say, I thought my 22" beauty dish gives out beautiful light. There is a big reason people pay $300+ for a Mola Beauty Dish. It's absolutely, creamy wonderful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    And finally, we have Bruce Speight. I shot this with two strips of gelled fluorescent lights. The one on the left of the frame has a blue gel and a little bit of purple near the top. The one of the right has a tungsten CTO gel on it. I shot the WB in tungsten, which adds even more blue tone to the whole image.

Add clarity in Lightroom, then off to Photoshop for my round of retouching, which in this case, isn't too much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful Joe. I really like your skin work, looks great. Did you use portraiture or your layering technique? I'm trying to learn how to skin touch ups at the moment.
    The dreamy picture of Dana looks effective and when placed with the other picture of her they really compliment each other. What Aperture did you shoot her at?

How did you do the background with Olivia? I'd like to try that

Sorry about all the questions. lol

best,
    icon

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks Icon, I really appreciate that!

Now, my workflow for retouching in Photoshop usually goes like this:

1) Import from Lightroom
    2) Clone and stamp out things in the environment that I don't like
    3) Liquify as needed (I enhanced Bruce's muscle definition, for example)
    4) Portraiture for first round of skin enhancement (skipped this on Bruce)
    5) Frequency Separation for more fine tune skin clean up + dodge & burn on a soft light grey layer for light sculpting and smoother shapes
    6) High-pass filter for selective sharpening
    7) Inverted high-pass filter if need to soften skin a bit more

Now for Portraiture, it's better to export individual skin areas on its own transparency layer, ie forehead in one, the shadow side of the arm on another, etc. I learned that from Lindsay Adler. I wrote a recap of her workshop on SLRLounge, which I also write for nowadays:

Creative Portrait and Retouching Techniques with Lindsay Adler – WPPI 2012 Notes tutorial

As for Diane, I used f1.8 for the first photo, f2.0 on the second photo.

• Like Like x 3
  6. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Impressive. I've never done anything like this and I didn't realize how much post processing was involved to get these kinds of results.

If I send you a picture of myself, can you make me look like Bruce?

7. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info in the link you wrote. I am glad you pointed out to leave the 'fine' adjustment in portraiture alone. I've set it to 0. I couldn't really understand the bit about layering in Portraiture though.

Thanks aye

icon

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Great Joe! However i think there is a color cast with Joana ( purple)... What do you think?
    Great to see some studio shoots with m4/3!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Beautiful Joe..well done ...
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  10. PetitP

PetitP Mu-43 Regular

Very nice Joe,
    My fav is the first one of Bruce. The other models are stunning, it sure does help a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I must agree! That is outstanding quality! :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The second image with Oliva is my favorite. All are very good. Outstanding job.

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, that's my favorite too. It's a very good pose, but it's also a good one to show off the quality of the lighting from that beauty dish, as that kind of pose can be difficult to light up evenly and soft because of the position of her chin and hair.

My signature should read... "I speak from experience... I've botched up enough photos to know." :biggrin:

14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    A color cast with Joana? Do you mean Diana? And which one has the color cast?

15. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    yes, I love the 2nd one of Olivia, too. Even though she's not looking at the camera, her smile and expression is probably one of the most genuine looks I've captured from a model. Just such a great pose =D

16. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    ewww.. Sorry Joe, i talked about Olivia(with mola dish). Her skin tone is slightly blue i think. Maybe it's just my monitor..

17. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I used a subtle split tone (warm highlight, cool shadow) on Olivia, but made sure it's more a yellow-blue split. I calibrated both my monitors with the Spyder 4 Elite last week, so the colors on my screen should be ok. Yea, calibration does make a real difference, that's for sure =)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Okay, if it's Olivia then I personally think her color is spot on. ;)

19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great work and awesome lighting as usual, Joe. That beauty dish truly gives amazing light.

20. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Ahh, I see what you mean. I can probably shift it a bit =)