1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Three heads

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by kskumar, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kskumar

kskumar Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    I'm not very imaginative with titles :redface:

I'm in the process of learning to "see" in black and white and would like to make more photos with "moments" in them. This is one of the attempts. Would like to know your opinion; does this shot interest you or do you find it to be just a snapshot ? I'm not looking at the technical aspect of the shot but more on the vision aspect of it.

Faces.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There are a few reasons for taking this shot. I like the triangle made by the three heads/faces; why is the face in the tv looking at the little kid; what interests the little kid so much that he is looking out of the frame instead of at the weird antic by the big kid.

2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The third head, the image in the television screen, is very much a part of the photo. It's in the eyes. Great stuff.

Bokeh D

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The image works...it has good eye travel......
    It has a great irritant.....you asked so I'll tell.....
    look at the heads....the eye travels well...now look at the (toaster shape) on the upper left..... that actually completes the triangle your working with... it also lets you see the frame from the window...and that supports the shape of the TV......

Magic I say...Magic......

4. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Funny how that toaster just 'does it'.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Yeah.... keeps things warm huh.....

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

kskumar, thank you for posting this photo. I agree that it works really well. The man (the fahter)looks as though he could be in agony or distraught, the little boy (his son) wary and almost afraid...and the woman's expression on the TV watching over them or observing...appears concerned and fearful. You caught this moment perfectly and who would have guessed that the little innocent toaster would play such a big role, but it clearly does as it brings us back in to where it's all happening.

Good shot!:bravo-009:

7. kskumar

kskumar Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    Thank you all, for the response and the insight. I'm happy that I've successfully communicated what I wanted with this photo (my first conscious shot of this type actually).

Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the toaster when I took the shot but decided not clone it out as it sort of felt right. I see now that it was the right decision. Hurray for toasters :smile:.

8. kskumar

kskumar Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2010
    Malaysia
    The small kid is actually my 2 year old son and the larger "person" is my 15 year old nephew (he's gonna be upset :eek:  to be seen as the father, I'm definitely gonna show him this :biggrin:).

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:biggrin: Maybe your nephew will be flattered because at that age they want to be older, don't they?:biggrin:

Your son is only 2 years old? I wouldn't have guessed that at all. I hope the actual moment was more fun than it appeared.:wink:

You did a great job and yes - hooray for toasters!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.