Three external flash-related questions

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by New Daddy, Sep 18, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I use GF1 and GH1 and have the following external-flash related questions.

1. When I have a radio trigger sitting on the hot shoe turned off, the shutter speed is maxed at 1/160. I understand that is the maximum flash sync speed for GF1/GH1, but why does it max out at 1/160 when the trigger is not even turned on? I prefer to have the trigger always attached to the camera so I can easily decide between using an external flash and not using it as the situation dictates.

2. When I use radio trigger to trigger an external flash, I see no flash info in the EXIF. I don't expect to find flash compensation number, since my camera has no way of knowing what goes on in the remote flash. But the EXIF doesn't even register the fact that the flash went off, when the camera maxes the shutter speed at 1/160 when the trigger is not even on (as I stated above)? That's a serious flaw.

3. The maximum sync speed of 1/160 is giving me more and more limitations in daylight shooting, so I'm thinking of buying a new external flash with hypersync (like Metz AF40). With such flash mounted, will my Pannys be able to finally use faster shutter speed?
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    1. The camera senses everything attached to the hot shoe, regardless of whether it's turned on or not.

2. I believe this is a firmware bug. Panasonic G2 behaves in exactly the same way.

3. Any flash that features FP sync will allow you to use faster shutter speeds.