1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Threaded Canon lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ~tc~, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking the other day that my dad's old Canon SLR has threaded (not bayonet) lenses, and they might be worth checking out when I'm there for Christmas.

Anyone know if the threads are standard and an adapter is available?

Were any of these lenses worth a hoot?

2. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    As far as I know, the only Canon SLRs which used threaded lenses were the EXEE and EX Auto from the late 60s and early 70s. In both bodies, the rear lens elements were integrated into the body; only the front lens elements were interchangeable. They made 4 interchangeable front lens assemblies: 35mm, 50mm, 95mm and 125mm. If this is what your father has, the lenses would not be usable on m4/3rd since they are not complete lenses, only front elements.

All other Canon non-AF SLRs are R, FL or FD mount, which are all bayonet mounts.

Canon also made rangefinder cameras which used the Leica thread mount. These would be usable on m4/3 with the appropriate adapter.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Antonio

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Hopefully they are the Leica M39 thread mount lenses - there are some gems - especially if he has the Canon 50mm f/0.95!

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The only one I remember has a GIANT objective lens, it has to be 3" in diameter but relatively normal length. Of course I don't recall any of the actual info.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Canon 50mm f/0.95 was not m39 thread mount.....

it can be converted to either m39 or m-mount but it costs.

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    It is listed on the Canon web site as Leica compatible thread - and I know I have held one attached to a Leica IIIg.

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall -Lenses

7. swglera

swglera Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2013