1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

thoughts: RRS grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kaitanium, Oct 24, 2012.

1. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    has anyone had experience with the really right stuff grip? ive been looking for an alternative to the standard HLD as i dont really need that double battery portion. just want a larger grip for my hand.

wondering if the metal rrs is uncomfy over the rubbery HLD. that groove for your finger looks a bit on the sharp side on the edges.
    BOEM5 Set: Base + L-Plate + Grip (black) - BOEM5-Set - Kit Configuration Page

2. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    my reason for not going that route was I wanted the shutter release more forward ? my hand felt a bit funny trying to reach back toward the release which also made it so my thumb was not as comfortable resting on the rear dial ?

so as much for grip as spreading out the two dials to adjust quicker and more comfy :)

I use mine without the extra battery on the bottom also

3. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Tried it....went with HLD-6 and didn't look back. I enjoy the placement of the shutter button too.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The HLD-6 is not just about the additional battery...it's about the second set of controls for portrait orientation shooting.

Having tried studio shooting for two hours WITHOUT a grip and trying to hold a camera in portrait orientation is very tiring.

I have to add that if you use longer lenses the grip with extra battery adds more balance to the camera.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

RSS makes some really good quality stuff. Their baseplate+grip of similar design to the one link is very popular among the Leica M crowd as a much improved replacement over the grip direct from Leica which is made of thinner brass.

With that said, I went with the HLD-6. I think any grip that opens my palm and moves my weight bearing fingers forward would make me stretch to reach the shutter on the OMD E-M5. I do have small hands. Furthermore, the extra battery compartment, the split two part design, and the extra portrait positioned controls are a huge plus. I find the HLD-6 very comfortable and almost a must with heavier lenses. On the other hand, I still think its priced high.

6. Stateman

Stateman New to Mu-43

Jun 28, 2012
    FWIW, I really like the RRS grip. The edges are very smooth, no sharp edges whatsoever. Really improves the handling for me - probably considered to have medium sized hands if that helps.

I don't shoot in studio nor had a need for the portrait grip. So can't speak to that functionality.

Having the built in tripod mount plate was important to me too.

7. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    hmm...

hey stateman, any chance you can take some pics of your hand holding the grip attached to the camera? how far is this stretch that people are talking about? appreciate your time but if you can thats ok too.

i do think that HLD shutter button would be helpful/comfortable also. too bad no one else makes a 3rd party one other than RRS

8. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I had the HLD-6 and sold it after getting the RRS grip. I found the RRS grip to be more comfortable. For some reason the shutter button on the HLD-6 causes the base of the grip to press into the palm of my hand. The RRS grip is just more comfortable to me. I also found the shutter button on the camera to be an easy reach.

A big reasons for me to pick the RRS over the HLD-6 were the l bracket integrated into the RRS and the ease of battery change. I just did not use the other features.

9. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    i would love to see someone holding the RRS attached to their cam.

big reasons for me to opt for the RRS is that 1. i dont need the extra battery holder portion and 2. the higher price of the HLD. i wish i used the L bracket features of the RRS but i dont, all i want is a larger grip.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
  11. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Doug
  12. kaitanium

kaitanium Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    hmm interesting options. ill take a look at them

13. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    I have the JLM grip. It is great but has one flaw. I cant get at the side to attach a release cable. This thread prompted me to look at the RRS L plate, which I have just ordered. Anyone interested in a lightly used JLM grip?

14. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Here is a DIY grip I machined out of acrylic on a lazy afternoon. :)

It works well, but I need to work on the grip part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Thats pretty sweet. Would this be worth it as a business endeavour?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Just so folks don't get it mixed up, I believe Jeff is talking about the L-bracket grip. JLM has a few versions.

17. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    Maybe.

I am ordering the proper grip on friday. Once i get that I'm going to figure out which pins are used to trigger the camera so i can build a grip with a trigger.

I figure i have a gooc chance of making grips with triggers for under 100 bucks.

18. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    Yes it is, humble apologies, I've been using L brackets for many years. I forgot that JLM and RRS both come in various configurations. I have never had a modular one in the past.

19. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Before I bought into :43: I looked at the availabilty of 3rd party grips, but I wanted more than just a grip extension so I chose the features of the HLD-6 over the alternatives.

My HLD-6G is permanently attached to my E-M5 (other than when I change battery). Being still in transition from larger DSLRs I find that the larger grip and the forward position of the controls improves the handling for normal use.

The HLD-6P is sometimes on, sometimes off. I like what it gives me, but I remove it when I want to be more discreet. I learnt a long time ago that security personnel associate vertical grips with professional cameras. :confused:

20. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Haven't heard anything about this grip for several months. Is JLM still making them? How does one order?