1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on this book: Four Thirds & Micro Four Thirds (The Expanded Guide)

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by YantaYo, Jul 8, 2013.

1. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Somewhat new to Micro Four Thirds, I was looking for a book that might explain the nuances of the cameras and differences between larger frame cameras. Only book I could find on amazon was:

Four Thirds & Micro Four Thirds (The Expanded Guide), David Taylor 2011

http://http://www.amazon.com/Four-Thirds-Micro-Expanded-Guide/dp/1907708154/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373338612&sr=1-1&keywords=micro+4+3+photography

Book has no reviews and I was wondering if anyone had it and could offer their thoughts on it?

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I do not know about this book, the :43: cameras operation is not different then any other camera. If you need to learn about photography any book can work.

If you want specific knowledge regarding a camera/lens then this forum is a great place to ask questions.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    No, you don't need this book. I've seen it. It is primarily focused on the original 4/3 system with additions for micro 4/3. It was published two years ago so does not mention the newest cameras or lenses.

There are no differences between micro 4/3 and larger formats other than size. Every camera has its own set of features and controls. If you need help with your particular camera look for a book about you model. There are only a few books covering specific m4/3 bodies. There is a huge body of knowledge available to you on this forum.

If you need help with photography in general there are many good books. There have been some threads here, try searching the forum or just start asking questions.

Fred

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    There are quite a number of camera specific books on amazon, if you search in terms like 'Panasonic Lumix'. I'm not sure that any are of significant use, not having tried these but my Lighthouse guide was useful when I got my first DSLR (with French manual).

Unfortunately for my bookcases I find it hard to resit photography books, but I doubt I'd be spending for any of these. This forum is a great mine of information, and can probably provide you with camera specific answers on anything these books are likely to cover. If you need to find the answer quickly and can't find it in the manual one MIGHT be worth the £10-50 they seem to be charging...

5. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks,

What spurred the interest in the book was another post talking about aperture depth of field with Micro 4/3 cameras. I was schooled to use the smallest aperture for the majestic, everything is in focus landscape pictures. So I was using F22 with the Oly 9-18 whenever possible, focusing on the foreground and was puzzled when nothing was sharp in the photo. The post mentioned with M4/3 camera typically you do not need such small apertures which will tend to blur unnecessarily the overall photograph. So I was thinking what else am I old schooled on?

I'll post away and not get the book.

6. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    With such UWA lens you do not need to go to F22 in order to get large DOF.
    Setting the aperture to F8.0 will give you great DOF and sharp picture.

7. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Testing landscape pictures this weekend verifies F22 everything is fuzzy and the best focus around f8 to f11. on the 9-18 and 12-50 :frown: Better learning now than never though.

8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    F/22 made sense for 135mm film and FF digital, but since the sensor of μ43 is two stops smaller than 36x24mm, you generally want to shoot two stops larger than you would otherwise. This is true for both depth of field and diffraction.