1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on the RX10?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by madogvelkor, Oct 16, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The A7 has been getting a lot of attention, but Sony has also announced the RX10 bridge camera. It's an interesting design that doesn't really fit into a particular category, somewhat like the RX100.

The lens and design make it a competitor with cameras like the FZ200. But the sensor size also make it a competitor with with MFT cameras, especially the Panasonic G line of DSLR style bodies.

It does seem pricey, but if you consider the cost of getting a MFT body plus a constant f/2.8 lenses set that cover the same range it is actually something of a steal.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's like the old R1 more than anything else. I've never been a particularly big fan of bridge cameras, and while I quite love my RX100, that's largely down to the quality it packs into an actually pocketable package.

The RX10 is great for folks who don't necessarily want/need shallower DoF, who don't feel limted by a 200mm equivalent focal length, and feel 24mm is wide enough. I've never felt 200mm was all that compelling/practical (and I owned a 70-200 on a FF canon for years, but rarely used it), so it's definitely not for me. Plus, it's not exactly light (in fact, it's pretty damn heavy)

3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I looked at this and thought for a short while that it would be a great travel cam. But it is quite expencive compared to other options with interchangeable lenses. Also it is heavy compared to either the Nikon 1 or ยต43 so not really for me. But in its favour having had a Tokina 24-200 on a film Nikon it is a superb range for a super zoom type lens, I would consider a 12-100 lens as a nice compomise.

4. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    Right now, I'm evaluating each and every camera from a backpacking point of view, and coming from compact cameras (not DSLRs). In that sense, this camera is probably too large and heavy. If I'd be travelling any other way than backpacking, or if I'd feel a large heavy camera was acceptable, this would be my #1 allround camera. Weathersealed, good reach, fairly shallow DOF possible, tilting screen, USB charging... The price might be a hurdle, but if the image quality holds up, and the weather sealing is decent, I think it'd be just about acceptable for what you're getting.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Supposedly it has great video capabilities too (not really a surprise from Sony). More and more it looks like a competitor to Panasonic MFT cameras.

I'm thinking the comparison is the RX10 vs. the G6/GH3 + 12-35 + 35-100.

Which makes the GM1 more interesting -- it is an obvious alternative to the RX100.

6. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I'm actually thinking this just might be a perfect compliment cam to my fuji x100...but that 1" sensor still worries me. I had the rx100 previously and sold it...

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I think the RX10 is an interesting proposition for someone like my dad, who is currently using an E-PL1 with the 14-150 pretty much glued to it. He likes taking some video when he travels and complains about poor indoor performance of his current setup, so the RX10 would be interesting for him, except for the price, which hopefully will drop in a few months...

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think the RX10 is pretty cool and I can't blame anyone for wanting it or buying it. But I can't get around the price. I already have the Oly 14-150 and can pick up a new or refurbished E-M5 for less money. I also have the Pentax K-5 and the DA 18-135mm zoom. I'm not sure the RX10 would give me more than that kit (or even an 18-135 with the $450 K-30). Still, there's no getting around the fact that the RX10 is a nice piece. If one was starting from scratch, it might make nice travel option. But it's not cheap - nor even moderately priced.

RX10 vs. E-M5:
    http://camerasize.com/compare/#489,289

RX10 vs. E-M5 with 14-150:
    http://camerasize.com/compact/#289.97,489,ha,t

RX10 vs. K-5:
    http://camerasize.com/compare/#489,187

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, price is high, but let's not forget the video features it has. I wish I was more into video, it might make the high price more justifiable...

10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I rather get 14-140mm II and GM1 for half the weight of RX10, along with a fast compact prime which have much better indoor/low light performance than RX10.

11. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I would take this over a MFT camera plus 14-150 as a 1 camera option. I particularly like the fast aperture at the long end.

The main problem is that once you get above a certain size - and the RX10 is above it - it is just about as much hassle as taking a fully fledged MTF system. It is also pretty pricey given it is a body. The RX100 might not have the specs but it is very small.

Funnily enough, I think I might well be tempted by this if I was going on an extended backpacking trip - weatherproof, packs away, decent reach - not to ostentatious.

12. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Isn't the RX10 a Mazda? I'm so confused.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    For a small-sensor camera, the thing is huge.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think RX10 could be a perfect camera for people who just want a high-quality all-in-one package and could not care less about interchangeable lenses. Heck, if I was not that much of a gearhead, I could totally see it being the last camera I will ever need. (On the other hand, I said exactly the same thing about Sony R1 back in 2005... boy, was I wrong.) I also see it as a nice second camera for owners of Sony RX1 of Fujifilm X100.

There is a very nice Korean review of RX10. It's obviously in Korean, but the images speak for themselves:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?...page=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=367

Of course, this camera is not as versatile as a Micro 4/3 system. It's also much bigger than something like Olympus E-PL5 with a set of primes lenses or a decent travel zoom. However, it doesn't require you to change lenses constantly and, in case of a travel zoom, its faster aperture more than makes up for the difference in sensor size.

• Like Like x 1
  15. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well I can see the confusion, because it apparently uses a rotary engine for it's zoom mechanism.

• Like Like x 1
  16. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Some RX10 examples

I seem to be the only one on this forum who actually has the RX10. I've enjoyed using it and agree that it has good potential as a walk around and/or travel camera because of its flexibility (wide and very useful focal range) and good quality images. Shooting in low light is certainly possible, though the quality cannot match a M43 camera with a top tier lens. Shooting moving subjects is not one of the RX10''s strengths. I think it is a good complement to a M43 system -- for example I recently went on a trip to the Tucson area and used the RX10 + my E-M5 and two primes (45mm f1.8 and 75mm f1.8)

I have a large gallery of photos using the RX10 that includes some further discussion that should give a good idea of what the camera is capable of -- at least in the hands of an average amateur photographer.

Here's the link to the gallery: http://www.pbase.com/tconelly/sony_rx10

And here's a sample of one of my favorite subjects:

original.

• Like Like x 1
  17. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    At least the focus motor is in-body. Oh wait, wrong car.

18. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    • Like Like x 2