1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on the panasonic 14mm f2.8?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Smashatom, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Just seen a very good price for this lens, seems too cheap to not have it. This made me realise I've never heard much about it... Anyone got any thoughts? Especially those that have had it on an OM-D....

I've got the 20mm, oly 45mm and oly 40-150mm... The 14mm seems like a good length for an impulsive purchase,

Sam

2. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    The more I use the 14 the more I enjoy it. I have a variety of lenses but the 14 has made me enjoy shooting again. Check out the 14mm image gallery and see for yourself. -Dan.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I acquired one recently as part of a deal on a GF1 that was too good to miss (alert - GF1 for sale!!). It's not a bad lens - incredibly small and light and sharpness is good. Its one vice is that it suffers from heavy CA in high contrast situations, but this is easily removed in post processing (assuming you're into PP - if you like SOOC JPEGs, then it may not be lens for you if you're using Olympus bodies).

For me though, I find that the focal length is a bit in no-mans land. Too wide for people shots and general purpose use, but not wide enough for dramatic wide-angle stuff. However, I know that lots of people love the FL, so it's down to how you feel about it.

For the price it's hard to complain really.

4. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I love mine. Like others, I bought it broken from a kit for $180.

I like the Field of View very much. Very nice for walking around, it's the lens I leave on the camera most of the time.

Sharp in the center from wide open, sharp everywhere 1/2 stop down. Vignettes wide open, but pretty much gone by f3.5. No problem with CA for me.

For under $200, it's a no-brainer.

P.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

First off the lens is f2.5 which is a 1/3 stop faster than f2.8. Second it is a great lens especially for the price. It is decently sharp and renders colors well. Although hard to get bokeh, the out of focus areas look nice. It also focuses fairly close{about 6 inches}, although AF has trouble that close.

6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Paid $135 for mine. Definitely worth it.

7. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Maybe best value for the money used of all m4/3 lenses!

8. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    " En Su Mirada " es chingon buey!:thumbup:

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've found the pancake form factor nice. I usually have it attached to my E-P1 in my bag when I go to work. It's fast enough to work indoors in most cases, and you can always crop.

It's nice for photography architecture, you can get a lot of building in there. Not bad for street photography either, if your subject is close.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A rather surprising little lens. You can get some wonderful shots with it and the price is very affordable. A very nice pancake lens. :thumbup:

11. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I have not used the Oly 12m, but many people have written on this forum that the image quality is nearly the same and it is a fraction of the cost.

I don't use my 14m that often, but have no complaints about the image quality at all. I just don't find the need for a wide angle that often. However, this lens is with me 90+% of the time, since it is so small it takes up no room in a pocket. Also, it is so inexpensive I don't have to worry so much about protecting it with a case (I just keep it inside of an old baby sock and stick it in my pocket with my iPhone when heading out).

Definitely worth picking one up if you don't have a wide.

12. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    Sam
    Wow, a lot of love.... I'm not going to lie, I was kind of hoping for some haters...! As cheap as it is, I am meant to be saving for a trip to Morocco but once I get an idea in my head I usually follow it through and it ends up with a disapproving look from the girlfriend!

I know the 20mm has the banding issue with OM-D, not that I have used my new camera enough yet to notice this, but does the 14mm have the same issue? And is the focus speed similar to that of the 20mm?

Dan Lopez, I did check out the gallery and noticed a few images you posted today that I love, out of interest and if you don't mind sharing, what do you use for PP? I love how they are very dramatic yet really subtle! I don't know if that will make sense, but that's how my eyes and brain perceive them!

As always thank you all for your help, it's all appreciated!

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^
    No banding on EM5/EPM2/EPL5 with the 14/2.5. It also focuses internally and quite a bit faster than the 20/1.7.

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

14. BigSky1

BigSky1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Helena, Montana
    Todd
    If you are shooting landscapes - its a great lens!! I love it.

15. eclipes

eclipes New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2011
    14mm is definitely a sweet lens. I might be consider selling my 20mm for something that has more bokeh such as 25mm or 45mm and keep the pancake for street and wide angles. best bang for buck lens especially something that focuses faster than the darn 20mm.

16. SeanQ

SeanQ Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 13, 2013
    Bend, OR
    Sean
    Saw the images thread, read some reviews, and decided to buy one. Just picked one up on eBay today for $150. Can't wait to walk around with it on my EM-5.

17. Gurin

Gurin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2012
    Sweden
    I bought one and but have only been able to use it for one day. The next day the wife decided that it was hers. Her pictures are very good, but she takes good pictures with every lens.:rolleyes: I on the other hand need good lenses. :biggrin:

18. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I use it a lot for video on the omd as it is easy to keep moving children and the environment in focus and bright enough to use inside. I haven't used it much outside or for 'real' photography though.

I focuses much faster than the 20mm and is more pocketable and more useful due to the wider angle for inside shots than my 25mm, especially for video.

19. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Makes for a great small package on my epl5. I got mine from eBay from seller - podmantech. Great to deal with, lens was well packed and he has them with black or silver trim.

20. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I know your decision is made but adding another "great little lens". Along with the 25mm it's a nice light travel/walkaround pair.