Review Thoughts on the EM1X..................

Phocal

God
-How's the joystick lag? If you push on it does it move once/twice, pause, then start scrolling faster? Or does it just zip around instantly with use?
-Didn't know about GPS, that's awesome. Maybe I should have looked at the EM1X instead.
-EM1ii can also phone transfer RAW. I wonder if this was a firmware thing.

Personally, I'm quite a fan of having the screen turned in. Keeps me from chimping and also reduces the amount of nose-grease I get on the screen. And I don't have to worry about scratching the screen when not in use thanks to having the plastic back facing out.

When you press it it moves over one square instantly. If you press and hold it will move one spot, wait a fraction of second and then zip all the way across the screen. It does stop at the edge, doesn't pop out on the opposite side.

Yep, the GPS and the other field sensors (direction and temp) are a cool feature. There is a setting to prioritize battery or GPS accuracy, will take me some experimentation to figure out how much battery either setting uses.

No idea when Olympus added that feature, but the original EM1 could only do JPG.

If you saw my cameras you would realize I don't care what they look like. They are tools to use and I expect them to get beat up, scratched, dinged, scuffed. I get way worse than nose grease on my screen on a regular basis.

Phocal

God
Wonderful images as usual. Yes no gaters or snakes at your feet, but have you seen any bears yet?

Thanks. No there are not. I have yet to see a wild bear in Alaska, despite a large number of trips looking for them. Hoping to change that this weekend.

Phocal

God
Ok, the newest thing I have noticed.................................

Most know that I really don't crop and shoot with composition in mind. I always hated that my EM1 used the lines for the Golden Ratio and not the Rule of Thirds but I adapted and it has become 2nd nature. Well the EM1X is capable of showing the lines for Rule of Thirds. Wonder how long it will take my mind to not want to shift the image over just a little like I had to do with the Golden Ratio grid.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
No idea when Olympus added that feature, but the original EM1 could only do JPG.

It could transfer RAW, but it was disabled in the Olympus phone app because of how horrifically slow the WiFi of the v1 was.

If you enabled it using trickery it would take around 10s to transfer a raw file IIRC.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I’ve found the WiFi of the Mark III a revaluation (coming from a Mark I and Mark II before that), and presume it’s the same with the X?

Phocal

God
It could transfer RAW, but it was disabled in the Olympus phone app because of how horrifically slow the WiFi of the v1 was.

If you enabled it using trickery it would take around 10s to transfer a raw file IIRC.

I don't hack my camera gear or phone.

Phocal

God
I’ve found the WiFi of the Mark III a revaluation (coming from a Mark I and Mark II before that), and presume it’s the same with the X?

I am pretty impressed with how fast it transferred the RAW files, way faster than my original would do a JPG.

Phocal

God
Stunning shots as always Ronnie! I'm sure the E-M1X is the perfect camera for you. Would be great to hear more as you get into it.

Thanks and I will be updating this thread over the next month or so as I settle in with the camera.

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
I’m retiring two of my Em1s next week and Olympus are loaning me an X to play with for a few days. I’m certain I’ll be owning one next week! I too detest the swivel ‘selfie’ screen ... I imagine I’ll leave mine closed but visible most of the time.

Phocal

God
I’m retiring two of my Em1s next week and Olympus are loaning me an X to play with for a few days. I’m certain I’ll be owning one next week! I too detest the swivel ‘selfie’ screen ... I imagine I’ll leave mine closed but visible most of the time.

Yes you will be owning one.

Btw ... is there a noticeable improvement in overall image quality over the original EM1 ??

From the few (about 200 images) photos I have taken with the camera there is a noticeable image quality improvement. It also seems to need a bit more noise reduction than the older 16mp sensor.

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks! BTW I have broken an eyepiece off too and superglued it back on several years ago... it’s holding so well I had forgotten until I read this thread! The X here in New Zealand is on a special and is only $100 more than the mk3 with extra battery and Hld-9 pack!

Last edited:

Phocal

God
Had the day off but it was overcast with occasional light rain, so not the best shooting conditions. While I would have loved a nice bright day this was a good test of how well it performs in what is one of my favorite shooting conditions. So I headed someplace to try some BiF shooting to test the CAF ability.

When I get a camera I like to slowly make changes in the setup after evaluating each stage before moving on to the next. For this trip I wanted to test tracking and how it performs right out of the box and just the CAF using a single point as well as playing around with some of the boxes. I also played around with the sensitivity for both tracking and just CAF.

- Tracking sucked (even tried the intelligent AI thing using the plane setting), it would keep jumping to the background. Next I want to play around with the focus limiter in hopes that I can keep it from jumping to the background.

- CAF worked great when I could keep it on the bird. Turning down the sensitivity helped when I would come off my subject. Nothing changed with my view of using a single point or some sort of box setup, I still prefer using a single point. I like having control over what I am focused on and the multi-point ones can and do on occasion focus on a wing tip or something else. Now I know it has the settings to weight a certain point and that is how mine was setup. It did seem to help but I need more time to really evaluate that setting.

- All the images I am posting were taken with the electronic shutter, actually I have yet to take a photo using the mechanical shutter. Now that I say that I am going to do that because I probably should make sure it works while still under warranty. Ok, it works but I probably should fully test it in the field. I did have a few cases of rolling shutter in the shots with the flock of birds, but nothing that most would ever notice. So I am pretty impressed so far with the electronic shutter. My one wish is the ability to turn on the focus confirmation sound when running the electronic shutter. I am so use to using that as my que for focus, I basically focus pass the green box to my subject. So this is going to take some getting use to as I am hoping to use the electronic shutter as much as possible for the faster fps.

- I am still working out how much I want to crop with this camera. With my old EM1 I would never crop below 4000px as I found that the minimum for a 40x30 print. That 4000px part is still the same but I want to find a happy medium somewhere between that the 5184px I start with. I am thinking 4800 may become my new norm except for special images where 4000px will be the minimum. One of the images I am posting is uncropped in length (did take it to 16:9) and two that are just above 4600px. I do have one that is at 3544px and I am happy with it for such a large crop but it is the one of the flock of birds, so super fine detail isn't needed. If it was a single subject than I may feel different due to the loss of detail from the large crop.

- I took photos today up to ISO 1250 but I am not ready to make any comment about high ISO ability. I am not much of a BiF shooter so my technique can be in question and I have not fully evaluated the focusing system. All of that combined can effect the amount of detail in an image at base ISO and only made worse as ISO increases. I would have to be shooting static wildlife images to really make a decision on high ISO. Right now I consider anything above ISO 1600 as being high, as I stated above........I have high standards.

* I want to mention that when I talk about image quality it is based on my standards and I have very high standards. I am sure in cases of like cropping many are happy with much larger crops than I would ever do. I am not going to debate image quality with respect to amount of crop, I have my standards and everyone else has their own standards. Now I will talk image quality with respects to uncropped images.

- I went to three locations (one of them being the foxes, no foxes today) and it wasn't until the 2nd (foxes) that I remembered to turn on the GPS. Actually thought it was turned on but guess when playing with it at home I turned it off. I mention this because I am not impressed with the battery life. Now I do need to look at the power settings, it is currently just on default, but with only 400 shots over a few hours I am down to 42% on battery one. That seems a little terrible to me, will have to play with it more. I also have the GPS setup to prioritize GPS accuracy and will keep it there for a bit while comparing it vs my Garmin. Then I will switch it to prioritize battery life and compare vs the Garmin and see what the difference is.

The last part above brings up something I noticed while researching the EM1X. I watched a lot of videos the last 10 days about the EM1X and there is a lot of bad information out there. There are professional photographers out there telling people how to setup the EM1X who have no idea about a particular setting and how it effects something like say auto focus. So I hope to only post factual information (like my GPS accuracy data) about the EM1X.

Since it was overcast I went with B&W processing for the images. I love doing B&W on overcast days.

50024137623_629beee9fb_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Comin @ Ya Live by Phocal Art, on Flickr

50024941367_3a2d5e70ee_o.jpg
Fly Bye by Phocal Art, on Flickr

50024679476_8922eca6b6_o.jpg
SAR by Phocal Art, on Flickr

This last one is the only one with the MC-14. It is also what is for me an extreme crop, taken down to 3544px on the long side.

50024679351_304cd7e179_o.jpg
The Swarm by Phocal Art, on Flickr

Phocal

brianric

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Brian Richards
Amazing images. Despite the negative reactions from some corners, I can see why Olympus wants this camera in their lineup. It can serve as a test bed for certain features and technology, but mostly it's a perfect camera for nature photographers like yourself. Interestingly, whenever I have had the fully articulating screen on my camera, I always keep the screen pointing inward. As you mention, it's the best position to deploy it quickly.
Sort of wasted as a testbed if there are no firmware updates. Offer more tracking subjects, really not a high demand for trains outside of Japan. Like to see improved face detect like the 1.3. Maybe add animal eye detect like Sony has.

Phocal

God
Thanks! BTW I have broken an eyepiece off too and superglued it back on several years ago... it’s holding so well I had forgotten until I read this thread! The X here in New Zealand is on a special and is only $100 more than the mk3 with extra battery and Hld-9 pack!

It's on sale here as well, putting the price right at the same price as the mk3 with grip and 2nd battery. If you mostly shoot with the grip, getting the X makes a lot more sense.

Latest threads

Top Bottom