thoughts on shooting a wedding with OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HappyFish, Oct 17, 2012.

1. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    ONE thing I ask is not to repost these anywhere as examples etc.. since they were from a couples wedding :) thanks :)

sorry for my bad grammar :) one reason we left the islands (from Maui) is public schools are really bad and did not want our kids having bad schooling like me :) those that know me on DWF etc.. know this about me just a heads up for those who dont ! yes I know I suck at grammar ! sorry :)
    also if anyone back tracks these links to my site :) have to repost my images as flash is messing up the color big time :) so ignore the color on some of the images if you do that :)

OK trying to switch gears and fill in some lighter gear and make things more fun again but do not want to cut quality !
    thinking the OM-D can deliver quality and afford me to not get as tired lugging heavy gear etc.
    the rear screen I am finding I can capture moments where raising a FF with L glass flash etc.. for some reason makes people look grab their neighbor and grin ! which often I do not want :)

these are from my first wedding with the OMD many are taken second to my FF gear cause I wanted to test the theory but wanted to make sure I got my shots first !
    so I shot half with the OM-D and am quite happy with the gear just a bit of refining things
    so nothing special as my FF stuff was a bit better :) still more used to shooting with it but a great couple I posted one color on BW just to see the color that can be had ? again everyone does post dif :) so more a fun look maybe :)
    but also got some great shots with the OMD :)

no plans on dumping my FF yet ?
    but you could shoot a wedding with a OMD and get everything !
    you would need a flash that can bounce or at least I would !
    would also post current weddings with a bit less DOF just to make sure the look is consistent
    to me though emotions and faces are more important than DOF !
    dance shots of the dad daughter enough DOF and its more about capturing those emotions and such IMHO at least :) but their are times I might want a bit more isolation ? hard to say where when but you know it when you see it ;)

thinking dumping my canon picking up a D600 and some primes main reason is smaller lighter gear great quality and I think the colors of the nikons fit better with the oly :)
    had my little FL600 so not enough power to bounce ! but I knew that and might get a FL50R so I can bounce light ! so a couple flashed shots straight up with the diffuser and HATE that look ! but again was more a fun test to see how I liked the gear !

tilt screen very cool a huge plus !
    EVF a mixed feeling but overall like having it but like a regular optical one also !
    where I liked it outside and other places you could truly see what you were going to get ! very cool
    in darker situations it was darker so a bit harder to see through ?

focus no real issues 3 more weddings I can give stronger opinions did not feel I missed anything cause of it ! the new 75 ? seems slow ? but I wont be using it for action really so should not be a issue

handling overall with the grip ! is very nice I wish the rear most dial was easier to reach or was on the back with a spin wheel like I am used to with canon ! wish their was a larger button for setting back focus at those times I like to back button focus it is a bit recessed ?
    considering I can buy 3 of these for the cost of a 5D series setup that is current I think its a great camera

12-35 lens is a great little lens solid feel nice feeling zoom ring does not feel like you are turning nothing like kit lens feel !
    CA I noticed on the 25 when in the trees outside ? no biggy click in LR GONE :)
    did some editing on some D800 files and had a few shots with CA so it happens to all cameras at times

waiting to see what the GH3 brings to the table !
    if the 35-100 performs like the 12-35 will be very happy !
    with how quiet the shutter is I wont mind getting in a bit tighter in ceremonies and such I try to not be noticed but also wont miss the shots but hate hate hate the loud shutter sounds of DSLR at a reception

nobody questioned my tiny camera :) then again I think most pros dont get that since its also about how you handle yourself :) laughing with a Leica shooter today saying I bet some who dont know might say Oh thats a nice little camera you have

only had the 25 1.4 and the 12-35 2.8 when I shot this adding a few lens when they come available 35-100 and the oly 60 macro
    just got my 75 1.8 in the mail and should have my voigtlander 17.5 next week or so ?
    from just a touch of use today the 75 seems a lot slower to focus and hunts a touch more than my 25 1.4 or 12-35 ? anyone else notice this ?

hope some enjoy my thoughts

did not like the cake shot with the M4/3 ? liked my FF stuff better mainly cause of the light and was not happy with the ring shot ? but thought I would include them since this is about M4/3
    if some images look 3:2 its cause I cropped them to match my FF :)
    only shot a couple ceremony shots with the M4/3 so thats why no ceremony !
    this Fri will shoot some ceremony as I am second shooting purely for fun and only with my oly :) so will post some more after the weekend
    • Like Like x 7
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Terrible grammar, good pictures. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. yumyum001

yumyum001 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 5, 2012
    These pictures are pretty nice, definitely feels like they were really paying attention to you, which is not a bad thing in the photojournalistic style of wedding photography :)

What did you use to light up this scene? it looks very natural, except maybe the background is a little dark?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    and yup agree dark background :)

just the little FL600 pointed straight up and the white card out
    forgot how much down I had it dialed ? -2 I think

only flash I have right now for my OMD :) till I get another flash found out tonight the FL50R only goes 90 degrees to one side to the right ? so wont be able to use it ?

it was a outside wedding under a large cover so no real walls to bounce only a ceiling about 25 feet or so ?

but the inside behind them is a huge glass wall and a restaurant under construction :)
    one side did have the bar finished that was cool with a big glass wine rack but the rest had stuff kinda all over and other people walking around inside doing things so in half the shots I have these 3 people carrying stuff around behind them that looked a bit distracting this was about the only shot where you did not see the construction guys behind them ?

more what I shoot like really but this shot has nothing going on :) but no guys carrying stuff around :) hahaahha

(not shot on OMD)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    more what I would bounce flash like till I find a good flash maybe the metz for my OMD ? not sure might keep the OMD natural light only ?

my FF bounced flash cake shot :)

my OMD for fun no flash

Bride and groom dancing in somewhat the same spot as the bride and dad ;)
    but shows FF how I usually bounce flash and more what I shoot like exposure and lighting etc..

OMD actually not to bad for not being able to bounce flash ?

biggest thing for me will be getting a flash powerfull enough to bounce on the OMD the head has to rotate at least 130 degrees both ways so the FL50R is out sadly !
    so metz maybe
    or just stick to my FF for all flash work ? and only use the FL600 in say getting ready rooms if they are small etc.. and shoot natural light with the oly no flash ? not sure yet

and learning a bit more how my OMD sees things and me getting better at changing it quickly is the biggest thing !!
    I am still so muscle memorized into my 5D series cameras and the rear dial top dial etc.. ? so this Fri will go with a buddy and just shoot for fun :) so only my OMD no other FF gear at all :) will be a blast
    sadly no good flash but the couple wanted available light
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 28, 2010
    The beautiful northwest Georgia mountains
    Dave Jenkins
    I use an SB-28 in auto mode. Works great, has a full range of movements.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I like the photos, but not in black and white. Weddings are about warmth and color. The black & white conversions seem sterile, cold, and harsh.

The last two photos in the original post illustrate. I am curious to know if anyone prefers the B&W version and if so, why?

Re flashes, the old METZ 60CT-4 is a pretty amazing wedding strobe. I'm sure that's exactly what it was designed for.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Wish we had Warrants!
    Great shots :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012

no potato masher flash for me though :)
    I think the Metz 58 or whatever that model is might be what I go with on the OLY
    again I still shoot FF canon and use 580 flashes
    on the nikon stuff if I switch I might go to the 910s
    not sure if I want to shoot the oly with a big flash ? will have to see how balance is and also not sure I like the EVF in darker areas yet ?

I agree the cake shot with the M4/3 in BW ? not so great and it never went to the bride ! but my shot with the flash on FF was nice :) and those went to the couple I do like the BW of him tying his shoes as the color was not so great in that room :)

was not trying to make this about what do you like better bw or color :) and not asking for critique of images :) not trying to be jerky either :) so sorry if it seems that way :)

ALSO why I tried to do a couple of the same shots with BW and with color :) to try to take away the idea of the post on the photos (everyone does post dif) and make it purely about shooting this camera at a wedding :) so those who like color could see some color those who like BW could see at least my version of BW :)

but make it about the camera and how it handled and could it catch certain shots ?
    again a lot of one time things I shot with my canon :)
    example did not want to trust the grand entrance to the focus yet :)

this Fri I am shooting for fun with a buddy so just a 3rd shooter which opens up being able to shoot everything with the M4/3 !!!

hope that makes sense :)
  10. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    I can say looking at the two shots of the head table
    while I exposed totally dif for the two !! since again I did not have a powerful enough flash to bounce on the OLY
    those who think DOF can not be had in a wedding shoot with M4/3 this kinda shows what a 24 1.4L on FF against a 25 1.4 panny can do compared :) taken same position about 7 seconds apart I do like the wider FOV
    now I need a 12 1.4 since that extra stop from whats available would be worth it ! the 12 2.0 and my 12-35 are close enough I really want that extra stop on a prime to go from 2.0 to 1.4 if I am going to buy one ! otherwise 2.8 is good enough and also why I am buying the 17.5 voigtlander :) wont have that till next week though :( but have another wedding next Thur to try that out at :)

panny/Leica 25 at 1.4

FF 24 1.4 L at 1.4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't find it sterile at all, I actually I prefer b&w everything almost, heh. But I find it can bring more to the subject as color can be distracting. And at times, even bring more emotion to the table.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    agree :)

one is to isolate subjects from the surroundings and make you focus a bit more on them such as distracting backgrounds etc..
    now of course a couple on the beach great sunset you want color ;)

also for bad light etc.. such as in many getting ready rooms with mix of a window and tungsten lamps and fluorescent where you can get one half the face one color and the other another :) not so fun
    if I can I move the clients into nice light and let them do their thing :) but cant always do that

I love BW :) and I love Color :)
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    ROFL. My philosophy is that whatever tool is needed to do the job is the one I will use. Note that the "potato masher" has both a small direct flash and a high power/highly adjustable bounce head. 45CT-4 has the same thing but with an internal battery rather than a separate pack. 60CT-4 has enough power to mount and use with umbrellas and soft boxes too. It's not going to toast your bread for you but it does make for nice portable lighting.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    I also try to choose the best tool to get the job done :)

I had metz with the little front flash about ten years ago and ended up not liking them back then ? the little front flash is a no go for me ? if I am going to use a bit of fill its cause I am outside and need more than that :) inside bounce last thing I want is straight on harsher light ?

and the large have to hold a new handle potato masher does not work for me at all ! then again I never used flash brackets either :) while some did

did not want to go back to the 70s :) been their done that :) sorry just having fun :) sadly IMHO potato mashers went out about the same time as shooting Med format at weddings did !
    yes you can still use it yes its still a tool but not for me !

it did run through my mind but again only for a moment :)

as far as power any modern speedlight can work just fine in a softbox or umbrella also and many more setups are actually more workable with a standard on camera foot style flash to work with those setups ! from many of the wireless control units out to many of the mounts etc.

but the other thing is I am trying to stay small with this setup as much as I can and light so also looking at the METZ 50 see if that would do enough ? my worry would be that it might be to slow recycle time ?

my 580s I used a digital camera battery setup don't think that company is around but a very good external power pack ! of course is nice no changing all night and a bit quicker recycle which I love

but this time around no cords if I can get away with it ? if I have to will use a battery pack but want to avoid it if I can

do appreciate the thoughts though :) again just not for me
  15. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Second wedding just went with the OMD (3rd shooter so no pressure) and had some fun trying to learn where it would fall short
    walking outside good light is OK
    walking in darker such as inside lights low or just after dusk with minimal lighting sadly did not do well was hit or miss so got some lost some !
    grand entrance in dark light inside fell short ! about 1 out of 5 was OK mainly cause the way they were coming in quite fast !

new lens this time Oly 75 1.8
    thoughts on the lens seems like most reviews nice lens
    did hunt a lot more for focus than my 25 1.4 panny and the 12-35 panny ! A LOT MORE in dark areas !
    strange focal length as many comment on ? but it seems to work some since its a bit faster at 1.8

dress and bride had lots of crystally jewelry and noticed a bit of odd blooming look coming off it in some light ? so not sure if this is a small sensor just falling a bit short have to compare to the D700 files maybe ? going to do some tests on that more

so now I know yes I could shoot a complete wedding but it would fall short so FF will still be a major roll

I got about 1600 shots with 3 batteries and still had more to go so thats consistent with my last wedding of about 1500 on 3 and since I have used the batteries a few times actually seems they have gotten a bit better which I seem to find when I get new batteries :)

shot everything wide open this time around ! next gig going to play with stopping down a bit more to get a bit more sharpness but impressed with them wide open ! which is often why you buy a fast lens so when you need it you can shoot it wide open !

cropped some to 3:2 but no creative cropping in tighter
    for rings I still want the macro when it comes out :) big time !!! cant wait for that lens !
    no PS might do more post work on them just wanted to get some up so some could be warmer a bit more tweaked etc.. :)

12-35 lens

oly 75 again nice to see it kept the fine detail of the veil
    this was the jewelry that tend to bloom in brighter light ? again I think its just the nature of it a bit but going to check out more for me a concern worth noting and checking on :)

oly 75 again this time without veil

oly 75 shots like this would be usual for the 70-200 and thought the oly wide open gave shallow enough dof and enough compression to do the job

12-35 just liked this shot of her happy expression one of those you like it cause you know the moment you took it what was going on etc.. ! sure you know what I mean by those shots :)

inside detail shot oly 75 again
    but good to show the bokeh toward edge of this lens wide open
    light flash straight up to fall down on top but not enough to take away the ambient

oly 75 again no flash 1/40th sec iso5000
    shot through the twinkly lights you see next to her they were up and down the aisle was kinda curious how it would handle light in front like that

next two shots ironic caught someones flash perfectly to give a nice off camera flash look :) so just fun to compare the two !

and caught someones flash
  16. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    redid the pics out of the new C17 compared to my quick settings I had in LR 4.2

always been a capture one fan but use LR4 more cause my photographer clients want XMP ?

but might go back to C1 for my own stuff again cause I think once again it has pulled ahead :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    three shots form last wedding with the 12-35

still loving the 75 1.8 also :)
    • Like Like x 2
  18. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Amazing photos w/ the E-M5!

I especially love the bride and FOB dancing. I want the 12-35 now..LOL.

Thanks for sharing!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    thanks ;) turns out I am using it a lot more than I thought
    funny though as I never used my 24-70L for reception only my 24 L and a 50 or 85 depending on size of venue
    I think part of it is weight ! I hate heavy camera/lens all day come reception the 24 is light enough its a bit more free feeling and maybe why I am using this combo is the weight
  20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    some more thoughts on the OMD as a wedding camera :)

for me most weddings I end up with about 650-700 delivered shots usually the 24 1.4 is about 200 of those shots along with 16-35 and 70-200 and some 50 or 85 for portrait and reception so not a huge number cause I used my 70-200 a lot for bridal couple shots
    so usually something like 200 for the 24 1.4 and 200 for my 16-35 and 200 for my 70-200 with the rest 50 or 85

this wedding was
    my OMD
    using 12-35 for 166 shots
    the panny/leica 25 1.4 for only 15 shots
    the oly 75 1.8 for 129 shots
    lumix 45-200 for 23 shots ;) it actually did OK its usually my go to the zoo lens I wont use it again for weddings ? not sharp enough or quick enough for me but its still quite good for how cheap it is and a great lens IMHO to have for going out with the family and was fun to finally try it
    does make me want a longer lens that is really good though cause the 400 focal length is fun !

my canon
    16-35 for 166 shots
    24 for 15 shots
    85 for 83 shots

so for me its interesting to see what % I am taking !
    funny my 16-35 is the exact number that my 12-35 was :)
    I am thinking I might sell my panny 25 1.4 since I am not using it enough (still have FF 50 1.4)
    having the oly with the 12-35 is making me not use my 24 to much and use my 85 more !
    the 75 has taken place of the 70-200 but I do miss that lens for its look and its ability to be used in that 70-200 range !
    but I do not miss the weight and size one bit !!! so this wedding I left it at home ! and do not feel I missed anything

so with 372 OMD shots and 264 FF canon shots taken the OMD is getting more than half the wedding pics now :)

where it still falls short is grand entrance low light moving a direction quickly ! again was not happy with what I did !! and the aisle shots I used my FF cause last two weddings my OMD gave me blurry walking down the aisle shots got a couple keepers but my FF gets me %100 pretty much keepers
    but this wedding I did all the bridal party the ceremony this time with the 75 and it did great ? but it was bright and they were in great open shade light
    all the bad aisle shots I have had were darker ceremonies that fell past sunset
    so its purely a low light and moving a direction issue for me !

dance shots I get a good % of keepers even though they are moving quickly they are not moving forward or backward in a sense they are just moving in a small area so its purely the walking stuff that the OMD can not focus quick enough at least the way I work and shoot :) but the lag sometimes to focus is annoying !! and it does happen since their is no focus assist that is not some obtrusive light or LED spot on them :) so again FF with flash on and IR assist is the best setup but I tend to shoot both and love the tilt screen being able to see over my head shots rather than using the red marks from the IR flash :) is nice same as low shots of kids

Flash used

no flash

I wish they made a nice 7-18 or so lens that did not have the fear of the purple spots :) or better yet a 7mm F2 or faster :)
    this was my 16-35 on FF that the way I shoot I need that ultra wide

so bottom line still loving it finding out focus is the weak spot and the weight savings is the big thing

I still say I can shoot a wedding %100 with a OMD but I could do a better job with a FF ! so FF will stay

could I shoot a wedding without it ? of course ! would the quality be better ? I will say nope ! the OMD keeps my arms feeling a bit lighter better my wrists hurt less and the tilt screen is really handy ! the IBIS helps with some things I think having that camera adds to the day in a small way for me

so for me its a solid part of my kit

things I do not like
    a second set of batteries to manage ? which they would last longer but last wedding I took 1634 images with my OMD and did not have to put my 4th battery in ! so not to bad thats over 500 images per battery

the flash system !! I picked up a Metz 50 which is nice which it recycled as fast as my canon 580s with battery pack ? so maybe I will see about a battery pack or live with the freedom of no cord to a battery which I like :)
    been using some photixx radio triggers so might use more OCF with the OMD and just a touch of fill from on
    I usually bounce back and to a side a lot
    • Like Like x 1