1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on Selling my new E-PL2 for Lumix GF3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Jun 13, 2011.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I have really been thinking of selling my brand new E-PL2 for the Lumix GF3...

It seems like it would be a good fit for me. Could you guys (that would know alot more that I would) tell me the benifits of staying with the PL2?

2. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Tell us about your photography. What do you like to shoot? What do you like / dislike about your current camera? What about the GF3 attracts you?

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I suggest you look at some discussions why some people chose Panasonic over Olympus, or vice versa. It might give you a better understanding of what (in general) each company offers. Then I also suggest handling both cameras first - what feels comfortable in your hands.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A few important things off the top of my head that the E-PL2 has a great advantage over the GF-3 in...

1) a real hotshoe and accessory port for external flash, electronic viewfinder, and external mic jack. Now if I were talking to me I would have to say no more. No control of lighting on a GF-3? That would be an instant deal-breaker for me, but your needs and priorities may differ from mine.

2) of course we haven't seen any real-world results from the GF-3 yet, but judging by the fact that it seems to be using the same sensor technology as the previous GF cameras and not the higher resolution sensors of the GH2 and G3, I would surmise that the E-PL2 will doubtless provide more detailed, cleaner image quality. High-ISO performance should be much better on the E-PL2, which is much better than the GF-1 or GF-2. They may use the same physical sensor, but the image processor is better in the Olympus as well as the use of a much weaker AA filter.
    *EDIT: This was in comparison to the GF-1 and GF-2 with the same sensor, but apparently the GF-3 has a much improved Image Processor, so who knows where this might lead...

3) the E-PL2 has In-Body Image Stabilization.

I would never consider selling an E-PL2 for a GF-3, personally. I'm sure the GF-3 is a fine camera (I'll even say the same thing about the Sony NEX if asked), but the E-PL2 just has so much more going for it. It's just as full featured as a top-grade DSLR, and achieves a very compact size WITHOUT sacrificing functionality like the GF-3 and NEX do.

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    As per previous post - it depends what you shoot and the circumstances you shoot in ?

At the end of the day the best camera is the one you have with you when you need it.

The GF3 apparently has a faster processor and faster AF (which was already pretty speedy on the previous models compared to the Olympus pre-firmware update). Also its super-compact.

Then again if you're after a flexible 'pro' compact maybe a LX5 or ZX-1 or S95 would give more flexibility in better form-factor (plus their lenses offer built in zoominess).

It also seems to have lost a lot of manual control (even compared to the GF2) dials/buttons - this may or may not be an issue depending on preference for a camera user-interface.

6. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Well personally, the PL2 was my first step into the interchangeable lens genre. I love it. I am just starting to learn the ins and outs of handling the camera, but am still very much a NOOB.

I love taking food pics, scenery etc... ( Flickr: MrKal_El's Photostream )

The Panny seems even better in terms of size etc for me and as of now (for this 1st entry of the photography world) I don't see my self using a EVF or external flash.

7. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    I am a bit worried about the lack of In-Camera stabilization...that almost is a deal breaker for me & I am worried about lower image quality compared to the PL2.

Looking at some of these examples from Panny it does seem pretty good though:

5828060586_e20278d35c_b.
    Lumix GF3 - Paris, France by Panasonic UK, on Flickr

5828053228_e9da94328c_b.

5828062058_521c8b4b80_b.

5827499639_ff880b357b_b.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually, I'm reading up on the changes to the GF-3 and they are saying that the new image processor is better. So perhaps comparing it to the GF-1 and GF-2 was a mistake. Again, nobody has a production model in their hands yet so it's still too early to say, but the GF-3 just may hold up well against the E-PL2 for image quality.

I'm also reading that the GF-3 has much faster AF speeds than previous Micro Four-Thirds bodies.

The GF-3 is still far out of the interest range for me, but there are a number of things popping up about it that would probably make it an interesting prospect for some, and also a breaking ground for nice new technologies we could be seeing in future Micro Four-Thirds bodies (particularly Panasonic).

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm. I think we'll have to disagree a bit there...

10. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sorry to break this to you... those samples demonstrate skill of the photographer... not the camera.

stick with your e-pl2 and learn to use it... maybe spend the difference in selling the oly and buying the pana and buy a few books or taking some classes

its not the cameras that makes photos .. its the photographer

K

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    I absolutely agree with you. I need a TONS of more practice & guidence...but lets say I was able to get my PL2 traded for even $ with the GF3 & the 14mm Lens, do you think it is worth it for me (at my current level)?

P.S. I am looking at the better video quality of the Panny also, but not a deciding factor.

13. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Not only do those photos represent a skilled photographer, but the best of the Panasonic lens line-up - the 14mm for that last wide shot, the 45mm macro for the bee and the first photo (and likely the night shot) appear to have been taken with the new, unreleased 25mm lens. The kit lens mileage will vary!

I would go with the E-pl2 over the GF line any day of the week - you can't underestimate image stabilization in-body enough, it is invaluable! Kevin has offered up great advice for your situation.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    From one noob to another, I would stick it out with your oly and become more comfortable with it. If you change up, the learning curve will start over, with a different operating system and lack of customization the gf-3 seems to be a dummied down camera that leaves less room for you to grow with your equipment. Not saying it isn't a good cam, just why start over with less hoping to get more. The gf3 strikes me as a pocket shooter for primes only, with touch screen to make adjustments more cumbersome as everything needs to be done visually where as your e-pl2 allows adjustments by feel with out taking your eye off the shot. If you wanted to swap your oly I'd think the new G3 might be a step up instead of a lateral or down grade with the GF3. just read a hands on review of GF3 and the one thing I noticed is that the reviewer stated that he kept taking shots by accident when trying to make adjustments as everything is done via touch screen. The Gf3 is just an iPhone with interchangeable lens options, maybe the GF4 will be a phone as well, and if panny wants to br real gimmicky they try and make it compete with tablets as well. GF3 strikes me as the point and shoot buyer who wants a "real camera" but doesn't know any better. Just my two cents.

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    After reading through your different responses I am still not clear what it is the Panasonic would give you that the E-PL2 does not. In looking at the pictures of the GF3 the biggest difference that I can see is the better vide quality and the smaller size. If you WANT the GF3 then by all means go for it but I certainly don't think you NEED one.

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Better video quality is questionable, too. The GF-3 doesn't allow an external mic jack like the E-PL2. I could pop a cine lens, light array, and an external mic on an E-PL2 and be good to go for shooting a commercial, music video, or whatever I need. I wouldn't say the same for the GF-3.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The only thing I can think the GF3 will give you is faster AF. I've played with the E-PL2, and I think it is a really nice camera. I think with either camera(like most things in life) there will be things you like and don't like with either camera. Play with a GF3 when it becomes available in the stores.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That "bee drinking from a flower" shot has a wonderful combination of ultrasharp details and nice bokeh. Not really helping the thread here, but I really like it.:redface:

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Don't get hung up on hardware. The Oly and Pany are both pretty equal in IQ and function. If you are an entry level in terms of skill and experience with manual operations and interchangeable lens camera ... the slight difference between the cameras will not make any difference in your images. In general, a skilled photographer could easily duplicate and create identical images with both cameras.

Equipment is like pots and pans for a chef. Nice pots and pans make cooking easier ... but nice pots and pans won't prepare and cook the food for you.

G

20. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks again for all the great & helpful responses guys. I agree with pretty much everything said.

I will wait to handle the Panny in person to see if it is something I would like.