Thoughts on Olympus FL-LM3 Flash

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I like the user interface with this flash.
The fabulous quick control panel on our cameras makes it super simple to dial in. It works remarkably well.
Does anyone know if you can have one camera mounted, and a couple more scattered around wireless?

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have this little flash, and also the massive 900.
Apparently the flm3 can control the 900 wirelessly. I have not tried it yet. Been too busy. But when I get a spare minute, I will. And report back with results.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I was thinking bird photography. Or maybe wild critter photos... any other ideas?

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Walt, good point. These flashes can’t be used off camera, because they don’t have batteries. I fail to see the obvious so often these days... oh well. Scratch that idea.
Retired from life, I found this flash worked wonderfully with a 60mm macro. Up close at minimum power. Also got good results photoing flowers at a couple of meters. Was perfect at underexposing a hideous background while leaving the subject looking bright and sharp. Full manual mode all the way.
Just read the manual again, it says, in a roundabout way, that this flash (on my m5ii) will RC mode with Olympus FL-300R, 600R, and 900R. That’s handy.
Cautions against closeups, will need to diffuse on cam flash.
There is an off camera cord, do you have one?

Real Name
Walter
Walt, good point. These flashes can’t be used off camera, because they don’t have batteries. I fail to see the obvious so often these days... oh well. Scratch that idea.
Retired from life, I found this flash worked wonderfully with a 60mm macro. Up close at minimum power. Also got good results photoing flowers at a couple of meters. Was perfect at underexposing a hideous background while leaving the subject looking bright and sharp. Full manual mode all the way.
Just read the manual again, it says, in a roundabout way, that this flash (on my m5ii) will RC mode with Olympus FL-300R, 600R, and 900R. That’s handy.
Cautions against closeups, will need to diffuse on cam flash.
There is an off camera cord, do you have one?

There are off-camera cords. Some people have used one made for Canon. However, I dunno if any of those cords have the extra power contact.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
There are off-camera cords. Some people have used one made for Canon. However, I dunno if any of those cords have the extra power contact.

I believe there's a caveat. The Olympus cord doesn't have the extra pin for power. The real Canon cord has a resistor on one of the pins that's supposed to tell the camera and the flash that there's a cord between them.

So a better choice would be a third-party cord like the Vello, which doesn't have the resistor in the foot.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Do you have the model number of that cord ?

There are several models, the latest having improvement like weather sealing and a metal insert for the 1/4" tripod mount rather than only plastic. But any version will work since they all have the same 5 pin connectors (the big hot shoe "fire" pin then a 2x2 grid of small pins). You can can find the older ones sold used for $20 and under and the brand new latest and greatest version for $70 (usd).

To be able to use the LM3 off camera like this, any Canon cord will work but your model Olympus body must have the extra (5th) pin. The E-M1.1 doesn't have it, for example, and is why the LM3 won't work on it. But the E-M1.2 and later E-M1.x models added that hot shoe pin.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There is a JJC model available over here.
Reasonable price too . I noticed it is sold as suitable for Olympus and / or Canon.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I am thinking of getting one of these for my EM1.3 since they did not include it. I want something very small for fill in only and possibly macro in an emergency.
These are fairly expensive on their own, $94.35 where I am. Although expensive compared to Godox if they are reliable the small size and weather resistance will be worth it for me.

If anyone has used on a lot I would be interested in how reliable they are, and do they work well. I doubt these would be repairable so I would hope it would last a few years with a bit of use.

I'm using it often for casual occasion and sometimes for photo competition.

This photo wins me US$100, i'm using EM5 II + PL25mm with FL-LM3 :biggrin:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
There is a JJC model available over here.
Reasonable price too . I noticed it is sold as suitable for Olympus and / or Canon.
I actually purchased a third party lead about two years ago, cant find where I put it or remember how many pins it had.
At least I have something to look for this weekend, better than mowing the lawn

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am on my third copy of the LM3, after having used the previous two so much with instant shots after shots that the flash overheated and failed. But when I put one of them as faulty on eBay it sold! I then discovered that the LM3 can be fixed if it stops working. The internal capacitor can be replaced.
Do you have any idea what kind of specs for the capacitor would work as a replacement? 330V is given, and people over at dpreview claim that 220uF would probably work as a standard capacitance. If voltage, capacitance, and physical size all mach, should it work?

Last edited:

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes 220uF would work. It would give you a lower GN number. But the recycling time will be faster.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Interesting, how are the GN number and the capacitance related?

I think 200uF is also fairly common. I'm going to try finding one that fits and will see if it fixes my broken unit.

Edit: Here's a photo of the original cap (not mine, taken from somewhere else online):
1624641389415.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
A correction to my mistake. I misunderstood that the capacitor was 330uF. But it appears to be 197uF. A 220uF would give a larger GN number. The capacitor capacity is proportional to its capacitance and operating voltage. The GN number is directly related to that. I haven't got the various formulas at hand, but I do recall that from a demonstration at uni.

Latest threads

Top Bottom