Thoughts on my next Lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by cpbog1, Nov 14, 2013.

1. cpbog1

cpbog1 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi everyone!

I am fairly new to photography, but as of right now, my lens distribution is as follows:

Panasonic 14mm
    Panasonic 45-200mm telephoto lens

I am looking to invest in another lens that provides good synergy with these two lenses. I have been leaning towards an Olympus 45mm for a portrait lens. Thoughts on this lens vs. the Panasonic 20mm?

Also, has anyone had any experience with macro-adapters? Essentially, it is used to increase the focal length of current lenses to create a macro image.

Thanks everyone!
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    If you want to take lots of portraits then get the 45mm. Otherwise I feel the 20mm would fill out the gaps in your lens selection better. If you can afford it and don't mind the larger size, get the panasonic 25mm. The 25mm could double up as a portrait lens (to a certain degree). The faster aperture will still give you some shallowish DOF.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I agree with hazwing. The Sigma 19 is also a cheaper alternative to the Pana 20.

Another alternative (at a price) is to sell the 14 and replace it with a 12-35. The IQ and max aperture is the same (more or less) as your 14, but it'll go wider and give you good portrait coverage.
  4. greenlight

greenlight Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    Colin B
    For the shooting that I like to do, PL25 would be my choice to best fit in with what you have already. Very versatile, great for low light and makes nice portraits even if its a bit shorter than ideal for that task.

If you make a lot of headshot style portraits, the Oly 45mm would be a better bet, but it is less versatile for general low light shooting.

If you are interested in macro however, you might consider one of the macro lenses a good option (e.g. Oly60mm or PL45mm), since you can make nice portraits with either of those two as well. I guess it depends what you're likely to shoot the most.
  5. cpbog1

cpbog1 New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2013
    Hey everyone!

Thanks a bunch for the feedback! I decided to lay down some additional $ and invest in the 25mm. I realized that my tendencies with picture-taking do not always happen in the best of lighting so a lens with a lower aperture would be ideal. In addition, I tend to do more "portrait" shots with more than just the face. And I figure that if I ever needed to take an actual portrait shot, it would be for scenarios where I can approach the object close enough for the 25mm to handle.

I also purchased a cheap macro adapter (< $10 on eBay) so I will see how that will work for any of my lenses (definitely don't have enough things to take macros of to justify the high price for a macro lens).

Thanks again for all of your inputs everyone!
  6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've done a lot of people photography with a 25mm (the Voigtlander) and found it a fantastic focal length - im sure you'll enjoy it!
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Good decision on the 25, it's a very versatile lens. As for macro adapters... I feel differently about those.