Thoughts on my future GAS?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DanS, Jun 24, 2016.

1. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I've been pondering/thinking about the m43 gear I currently have and what I want in the future, mainly because my wife is already asking for birthday and Christmas ideas. Anyway, I thought I would throw my list out there and see what people think, After all more opinions is always a good thing in my opinion.

Before I got into m43, I spent a lot of time talking with 2 semi-professional friends about my interests and what types of shots I like. From those conversations, we determined I'm a details guy, that prefers more documentary shots. In other words, I put more emphasis on sharp bright shots, than I do on things like DOF & boke.

My current gear is as follows:
    • Pany G7 - I won't be upgrading till something that shoots 6k with dual is available
    • Pany 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II - I use the kit lens mainly for shooting video in my shop, and eventually it will be dedicated to the shop.
    • Pany 25mm f/1.7 - this is my walking around lens, I love it's sharpness when not wide open, and of course the price.
    • Oly 60mm f/2.8 macro - I absolutely love this lens. It has excellent DOF when near minimal focal distance, and is really sharp.
    On order:
    • Pany 35-100mm f/4-5.6 - This will be a shop and general use lens until I can afford to replace it with something better, then it will be dedicated to the shop. Hopefully it's as sharp as as all the reviews say it is.

I'm not exactly shore what I want to order in the future, as some of the categories are ripe with trade-offs, so I'll break this section up. First i'll prioritize the types of lenses I want to get, and then i'll go over the options. The further down the list they are, the less likely I am to purchase them.

• Fast standard zoom
    • Fast short/medium telephoto zoom
    • Fast standard prime
    • Fast short telephoto prime
    • super telephoto zoom
    • Fast medium telephoto prime
    • Fast wide zoom
    • Fast long telephoto prime
    • Fast wide prime

Determining factors:

• Will dual I.S become more common, and will all lenses be at least partially compatible, thus making lens selection simpler.
    • Will manufactures apply all lens corrections in body regardless of the lens manufacture.

Fast standard zoom
    Pany 12-35mm f/2.8 vs Oly 12-40mm f/2.8

I like that the Pany has OIS, but I like the sharpness of the Oly more. I question how important stabilization is at such shot focal lengths, so today I'd probably grab the Oly.

Fast short/medium telephoto zoom
    Pany 35-100mm f/2.8 vs Oly 40-150mm f/2.8

The Pany has the edge with regards to cost & stabilization. The Oly has better sharpness & range, though it's bigger, heavier and more expensive. If I had to chose today, I'd take the Pany. Mainly because at longer focal lengths I think in lens stabilization is better.

Fast standard prime
    Unless Oly releases a faster f/1.2, the Oly 17mm f/1.8 would be my choice.

Fast short telephoto prime

This is another difficult one, for me. When I take cost into consideration I'm not sure the Oly 25mm f/1.8 or Pany 25mm f/1.4, are worth the upgrade over my 1.7. However, if Oly releases a super sharp f/1.2, I'd probably grab it.

super telephoto zoom

The Pany 100-400 seems like the hands down winner here, but the price needs to come down before I would consider it.

Fast medium telephoto prime

Nocticron 42.5mm f/1.2 vs. Pany 42.5mm f/1.7

The Noctricon is faster and has stabilization, but the 1.7 has better sharpness wide open, and is substantially cheaper. If I had to pick today, I'd go with the 1.7.

Fast wide zoom
    IM not sure I'd ever need it, but i'd go with the Oly 7-14mm f/2.8

Fast long telephoto prime
    I don't really need a dedicated lens at this focal length, as my 60mm macro does an excellent job. however,
    the Oly 75mm f/1.8 sounds razor sharp.

Fast wide prime

The new Pany 12mm f/1.4 if its good and well priced.

For those of you that made it past the wall of text, what are your thoughts & opinions?
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    So, your only body is a G7? If so, I'm surprised you don't at least consider a body with IBIS/dual IS.
  3. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Video is important to me, and I like the slr style bodies, so I narrowed my choices down to the GH4 & G7. I chose the G7 because it was newer and cheaper, plus the GH5 is rumored to release soon. If The GH5 is what people say it's going to be I'll probably pick one up and use the g7 as a second body.
  4. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I have the Oly 12-40 and think it is a remarkable lens. But to be honest, I don't think I've heard a bad word about the Pany 12-35 which I believe is smaller and lighter
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

The 1.7 also has stabilisation.

I'd also add the Panasonic 15mm f/1.7 to your list here. It's a little bit wider but it is actually a great walk around lens, and very sharp. I currently have the 17mm f/1.8 and have no complaints there either, but as you are a Panasonic user you will be able to use the aperture dial on the lens and you get the benefit of Panasonic's enhanced auto focus with their lenses.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    In real world cases I would probably never see the difference, it's just something I noted from lab style benchmarks. I should mention I have a physics background and can't help myself!

I completely missed that. I think the 1.7 would be my choice then.
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Gotcha. Well, personally I think dual IS is going to be a big thing as far as Panasonic is concerned, at least for a while. I'd invest in stabilized Panny lenses to take advantage of that. The 12-35mm f2.8 is a pretty great lens.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Nifty kit you got there - good thinking (going for good, compact lenses first makes the system portable in a pinch, regardless of what else is available).

Speaking of "developing" it: Since you have the G7 and value video, I'd actually go with both bright Panasonic zooms; the 12-35mm is a little bit weaker in the corners, but has O.I.S. to balance that, and the 35-100mm f/2.8, while being shorter in terms of focal length, is also much smaller and handier, and it too has O.I.S. and performs really well. For a video-centric setup, I'd value O.I.S. over the last bit of sharpness and overall performance because steady videos are really a lot nicer to look at. And again, the Panasonic zooms deliver the goods, even though the Olympus ones are optically even better.

I'm a stills shooter using Olympus bodies - so I went with the 12-40mm; I have the 70-200mm(-e) covered by a lens I really love in another system, but would otherwise go for the 35-100mm f/2.8 because it doesn't defeat the size advantage of :mu43:. That said, the 40-150mm f/2.8 is a dream lens in terms of reach and quality - just not one I see myself carry when I choose :mu43:. Full disclosure: As soon as I pick my Nikon gear, the 70-200mm f/4 is a no-brainer, since it's (comparatively) neither large nor heavy - and on an APS-C body, it's a 105-300mm equivalent. But on my E-M10 or GX80, I can't see myself using the 40-150mm very often ... The 35-100mm f/2.8, on the other hand, is only two thirds of the size of the Nikon, covers the same range and is a solid performer (but not superior to the Nikon - that lens is fantastically sharp with great rendering and very, very effective VR).

9. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I can't take all the credit, as my buddies helped me pick out my getting started lenses. I'm glad I listened, because the 60mm macro wasn't on my list initially and I really love that thing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Note the 12-40mm has pseudo-macro capabilities; not sure about the 12-35.
    • Agree Agree x 2