thoughts on improving image composition

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sriracha, Jan 31, 2016.

1. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    came across this article today 10 Myths About the Rule of Thirds and found the topic educational. couple of key takeaways i had:
    • over indexing on a specific composition framework or technique is common. the problem resides in not knowing where or how to progress into the next level
    • Rule of Thirds address the global / macro elements in a photograph but there are local / micro composition techniques to round out an image
    • the examples of how renaissance artists used similar techniques was interesting. i definitely would not have picked up on that since i rarely study paintings in depth
    as with consulting, this is still a framework not written law. just something to think about for your next shoot, project, whatever
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I see the common compositional "rules" as starting points from which to work. Many of the great compositions in art gracefully blend multiple techniques together. There is much a photographer can learn from Da Vinci's "A Treatise on Painting," despite it focusing on a completely different artistic medium.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1