1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

thoughts on improving E-PL5 SOOCs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jyc860923, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi all

Got the E-PL5 about two weeks or so, and I'm going on a trip within a week that I'm supposed to produce a lot of photos on.

I'm generally satisfied with the superfine JPGs from E-PL5, with the various in camera settings I could leave more pix untouched; but I've found the sharpening on the camera annoying that it causes artifacts and halo on hard edges, anyone has got some experience dealing with that? I've turned the noise filtering off and left the rest as it was.

And there's another concern, how do I get AFL with E-PL5, say if I want to make a set of stitch, now I've assigned the record button as AEL/AFL, but I don't get the AFL there used to be in my GF3 and it just refocuses for each shot?

TIA

2. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    anyone?

3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I shoot RAW so I'm not the one to give advice about JPEG settings but take a look for threads on JPEG settings for the E-M5 since they have the same sensor. I remember a fair bit of discussion on settings here when the E-M5 was released mid-year so you should find a fair amount of stuff quite easily.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Default JPG settings are generally more suitable for making prints than pixel peeping. The artifacts you're seeing are due to some over sharpening parameters; set sharpening to -1 in the camera. You can then do subtler sharpening in post later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    Set the camera to MF and then use the AFL-button to focus.
    You might change the mode for the AFL-button in Setup for this to work.
    I mapped AFL/AEL to the Fn button on my E-PM2.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sharpening is entirely dependent on final display size and medium - JPGs that are sharpened up perfectly for print very often look terrible on a monitor. Images that are perfectly sharp on a monitor may look a little soft when printed. Sharpening's generally the last part of my workflow, and there's no really big 'standard'. For most web use I stick to a little unsharp mask in DxO Optics pro and the lens-specific sharpening profiles. Only really start fiddling if I go to print.

• Like Like x 1
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    What in-camera settings you are using? Softness / artifacts / halos in the prints or what's displayed on the monitor? Would be useful to see some samples of the E-PL5 softness / artifacts / halos vs your Panasonic GF3.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I would agree...set the sharpening to -1. I did this with my EPL2. If I needed sharper images, I'd sharpen them up if needed later.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Will try with EPL5 JPG more later, I haven't kept many SOOC JPGs but I can confirm it's already a big step beyond the GF3 JPGs. GF3 JPGs look dim and smeared which I'll always avoid using.

it's on the monitor, it doesn't bother me with prints since I don't print very large formats and even GF3 serves me well with prints. I haven't changed the in camera settings except for turning the NR off.

10. jyc860923

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Will try setting sharpening to -1 in camera. I tried with the Viewer 2 with raw last night considering that's supposed to deliver very similar results to SOOC, but Viewer 2 just did better without unacceptable halo/artifact with default settings, so I'd like to try to get that from SOOCs.