Thoughts on backpack bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BAKatz, Dec 25, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Lowepro, Tamron, Kata ? Any thoughts. Bad experiences. I'm just getting confused. I do want flexibility ( inserts/ dividers ) and easy accessibility. Thanks.
    Figure on EPL-1 body + a couple of lenses. Also the usual stuff, but not necessarilly a laptop.
  2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    I have the Lowepro Flipside 200.
    For me it's a good size.
    I carry 2 bodies with lenses and extra lenses.
    There is a zippered pouch inside and a flip out pocket to carry a tripod.
    I liked it because it opens from the back and it's a good size for me.
    I also have a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home if i just am taking my camera with maybe an extra lens or two.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I use Kata DR466i.

It's a very nice bag if you need to transport your equipment from one point to another. But it's impossible to shoot directly from it because there is no quick access.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I regularly use a Lowepro Fastpak 100 if I am specifically going out to take photos. As backpacks go it is quite small. This model has a side accessible flap into the bottom compartment so you can access the pack without taking it off. I've carried anything up to three camera bodies (including a DSLR) and probably at least six lenses. The top compartment is not segmented but I use lens bags or thick cloths to keep everything separate. The biggest computer you could fit inside is a non-brand specific tablet device or a 10" netbook.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I've mostly used Lowepro but I pretty much gave up photo backpacks when I gave up hiking (bad knees). For everyday carry of the Pens I use a variety of shoulder bags depending on what I'm carrying besides the camera that day. For my Pentax and Oly DSLRS, I use sling bags (Pentax for the Oly and Naneu Echo-X for the Pentax).

I was seriously considering the Kata 3N1 series for everyday use until I decided to go to the Pen system. Now I would toss my Pen is a bag and stick it in whatever general purpose backpack I decided to use.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rhlangdon

rhlangdon New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    For my Panasonic G3 I have found the Lowepro 160AW ideal. Carried to the side of me it takes the camera with one lens attached, plus two other lenses (one the 100-300 zoom) and a large flash, easily accessed and plenty of other room for spa batteries, cards, cables etc. Take the 100-300 zoom out and can 4 if not 5 lenses with me.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Not a backpack but a sling pack: Tamrac Velocity 6x. Works especially well for the larger cameras (such as G2) with big zoom attached. Room for another lens or two and accessories. Very comfortable and practical.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm using lowepro passport sling. It is a messenger bag, but I rather use it as a side sling/shoulder bag. I prefer a shoulder bag to a haversack because the former allows me to change lens fast.

I am able to fill the big enough bag for the following items:
    Panasonic G3 with 14-42
    1 to 2 extra lenses
    Medium sized flash like fl-360
    A foldable umbrella
    600ml mineral water bottle
    Some small accessories
    • Like Like x 1