1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on backpack bags

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BAKatz, Dec 25, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Lowepro, Tamron, Kata ? Any thoughts. Bad experiences. I'm just getting confused. I do want flexibility ( inserts/ dividers ) and easy accessibility. Thanks.
    Figure on EPL-1 body + a couple of lenses. Also the usual stuff, but not necessarilly a laptop.

2. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    I have the Lowepro Flipside 200.
    For me it's a good size.
    I carry 2 bodies with lenses and extra lenses.
    There is a zippered pouch inside and a flip out pocket to carry a tripod.
    I liked it because it opens from the back and it's a good size for me.
    I also have a Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home if i just am taking my camera with maybe an extra lens or two.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I use Kata DR466i.

It's a very nice bag if you need to transport your equipment from one point to another. But it's impossible to shoot directly from it because there is no quick access.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I regularly use a Lowepro Fastpak 100 if I am specifically going out to take photos. As backpacks go it is quite small. This model has a side accessible flap into the bottom compartment so you can access the pack without taking it off. I've carried anything up to three camera bodies (including a DSLR) and probably at least six lenses. The top compartment is not segmented but I use lens bags or thick cloths to keep everything separate. The biggest computer you could fit inside is a non-brand specific tablet device or a 10" netbook.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2011
    I've mostly used Lowepro but I pretty much gave up photo backpacks when I gave up hiking (bad knees). For everyday carry of the Pens I use a variety of shoulder bags depending on what I'm carrying besides the camera that day. For my Pentax and Oly DSLRS, I use sling bags (Pentax for the Oly and Naneu Echo-X for the Pentax).

I was seriously considering the Kata 3N1 series for everyday use until I decided to go to the Pen system. Now I would toss my Pen is a bag and stick it in whatever general purpose backpack I decided to use.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rhlangdon

rhlangdon New to Mu-43

Dec 7, 2011
    For my Panasonic G3 I have found the Lowepro 160AW ideal. Carried to the side of me it takes the camera with one lens attached, plus two other lenses (one the 100-300 zoom) and a large flash, easily accessed and plenty of other room for spa batteries, cards, cables etc. Take the 100-300 zoom out and can 4 if not 5 lenses with me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Not a backpack but a sling pack: Tamrac Velocity 6x. Works especially well for the larger cameras (such as G2) with big zoom attached. Room for another lens or two and accessories. Very comfortable and practical.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I'm using lowepro passport sling. It is a messenger bag, but I rather use it as a side sling/shoulder bag. I prefer a shoulder bag to a haversack because the former allows me to change lens fast.

I am able to fill the big enough bag for the following items:
    Panasonic G3 with 14-42
    1 to 2 extra lenses
    Medium sized flash like fl-360
    A foldable umbrella
    600ml mineral water bottle
    Some small accessories

• Like Like x 1