1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thoughts on an imaginary future camera.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by salvatore64, Aug 18, 2013.

1. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    So after discovering the quality of using the 2x tc on my OMD . I thought to myself wouldn't it be great if with one more press of a button the camera switched to a 3x tc giving my camera 3 different field of views with the same lense! To offer the same quality or print ability for lack of a different word, I suppose the camera would also need 1/3 more pixels?
    So lets imagine a new OMD with 2x and 3x tc. 24mp. Throw in better tracking , fastershutter, wifi, HDR and better video do you think we can get this camera for under $3000usd? If so would this be the ultimate DSLR killer to bring m4/3 to more PROs?

2. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    I have to admit a $3000 body is out of my price range, but maybe not the pros. Im not o e who likes zooms so consider the possibilities with the 75mm. Or the added reach with any of our lenses. The p14 would now become 14,28,42 while still producing sharp images.

3. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I can't imagine any pros using a built-in digital teleconverter. :smile:

4. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    ^Never thought of that. I just assumed since I've been reason on this forum some people ha e already been using m4/3 for pro work, wouldn't the added mp count allow the same quality of pictures already produced with a greater crop?

5. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I am not a big fan of digital TCs. But anyhow, I tend to crop my pictures quite often relying on high resolution ...

But to really get comparable IQ to the OM-D, the imaginary cam would have
    • 9x16MP
    • Heavily optimized micro-lenses in front of the pixels to allow 9 times smaller pixel area
    • 3 times more aperture to counteract diffraction

It might take quite some time until this wonderful camera with 150MP and the corresponding super-sharp 25mm/f0.6 lens arrives ...

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Unfortunately there is no such thing as a free lunch and interpolating pixels will not maintain the same image quality for critical use. :43: does have impressive IQ but it is still at the bottom end of what most pros expect and anything that risks degrading the quality is not acceptable. If things really were that simple formats larger than :43: wouldn't be needed and neither would telephoto lenses. Incidentally, a 2x crop from a 16mp image, without interpolating, gives a 4mp image. :smile: