Thoughts on 14-140?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GKTodd, Aug 9, 2014.

1. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm headed to the beach in the next few weeks with my family and am seriously looking at getting a 14-140 (newer f/3.5 version). I really like the idea, particularly when on vacation, of having a grab and go lens without having to worry about switching lenses. I currently use the panny 20mm on my G5 (almost exclusively) and really enjoy the pics I get of my 2 kids. That said, I often would love more zoom especially as the kids get older and get into sports, school concerts, etc.

Would love 14-140 owner's thoughts on how this lens would perform on vacations and as a jack-of-all situations lens for when my 20mm is in the bag. I do love the shallow DoF i can get with 20mm and already know that's something I'll miss on the 14-140, but think the zoom capabilities might outweigh that. Cheers and thanks in advance!

2. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    14-140II is my most used lens on E-M10, it's perfect for vacation/travel. Keep a bright prime for low light though. Also, 14-140 will give you much better control over DoF compared to Panny 20mm but it will require some distance.

ImageUploadedByMu-431407617588.279275.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

• Like Like x 3
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I have the original version and it is a good lens, possibly the best of its kind and I have had a few in Nikon and Canon mount. The only downside is the weight of the thing compared to other lenses I have, but that is possibly the grip or lack of on the G3. As a travel solution or even day trips etc this type of lens can not be beaten, except when it gets dark or you go inside, I must point out on this I very rarely go for the old shallow DOF. The newer one is lighter I think and I would hope at least the originals IQ so could be a great lens to have, perhaps for many the only zoom they need? The 14-140 and a set of say the 25 and 45 primes would be a great kit. I find the AF is faster than the 20mm I had, the two go together well though. I do not think you would be disappointed with it especially if you want to avoid lens changing and just roll taking photographs.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Really great shot! How far away were you? Any other exif data on this you can share? Thanks!

5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    at full zoom 140mm f5.6 The shot below is at 120mm. I don't adjust aperture on this lens so it's always "wide-open". IMO, this lens has excellent bokeh and great DoF control. For that reason it is my default daytime/travel lens. I usually have plenty of distance outdoors. image-1294577567.

Here is a shot with CPL at 109nm:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  6. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Bought the lens last night from bhphoto on sale (though I think it's often this price) for $629. Really looking forward to using it and seeing what it produces! More to come!

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I also have the original version and use it a lot. It really depends on how much you think you'll be using it. I use mine for baseball games so the extra $$ was really not worth it to me.

8. erinboy

erinboy New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2014
    Arizona
    I bought the 14-140 about 6 weeks ago and it is now my travel go-to lens on the G6 for everything. Of course coming from my full Canon Eos 7D kit to a combo of gx1, g5 (IR adapted) and a g6, I don't notice the weight of the lens too much! Just ordered a 100 -300 for birding. Seems like a good overall travel combo!

9. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Just got the lens yesterday and I'm amazed at how small / light it is. It really isn't much longer or heavier than the 14-42 kit lens. Very happy so far and really looking forward to using it on vacation!

• Like Like x 1
  10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Glad to hear that you like it. I've included a link to a series of photos I took last December when I visited the Wright Patterson Air Force Base & Museum in Dayton, OH. All of the images were shot with the 14-140 II on my G6.

Link to photo album

• Like Like x 2
  11. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    Bought this lens for my wife's OMD EM10 who absolutely loves it as she can go from wide to zoomed in quickly. Took it on a trip to Ireland where she shot about 350 pics mostly wide open and as far as I can see it is a stellar performer. Had absolutely no shutter shock using the 0 setting, images are sharp, colour is great. All-in-all a very good travel lens, so good I am considering one for myself for when I want to travel light.

12. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    Just picked up this thread. I have the lens on a G5, and it is a perfect travel kit. The dslr only comes out for wildlife nowadays

13. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Why not sell the DSLR, and buy a 100-300? Your shoulder/back will certainly thank you!

14. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I echo the comments above. This is an excellent all-around lens. My kit is now only 14-140mm II and 20mm 1.7.

15. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Meant to post these here when I posted them in the 14-140 showcase...

Beach trip was great with this lens! Got some great landscape shots and was really happy with how it kept up with the kids. Highly recommend and can see myself using for years to come!

15018788422_c4850fc142_c.

15016074501_3973edfbb9_c.

14832731967_b3187d879a_c.

14832633988_84b5bb78e5_c.

• Like Like x 5
  16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Bought One!

I didn't need this lens as I have a very complete collection of several zooms and primes. I also never saw myself as a guy who would like or use a super zoom lens frequently, as I have several technically/optically better options. Though several months ago I purchased a first version 14-140 f/4-5.8 lens from a forum member, used but in fantastic condition, for a low enough price that I figured I could try it and if I never used it I'd just pass it on.

Surprisingly, on several occasions I've enjoyed the convenience of carrying less gear (bodies & lenses), particularly when on vacation, traveling by motorcycle, or when I'm not really expecting to be shooting but want to have a decent photo tool along. For a recent vacation to Alaska my wife, who only really shoots with an iPhone or a P&S (buy has had an SLR in the past), wanted something better and more capable. I "gave" her my rarely used G3 (which she uses on iAUTO) and the 14-140 f/4. As large and heavy as this lens is for a non-shooter, it was great for her to have the 10x zoom on this trip, and she will surely use it on future vacations.

Yesterday I borrowed the 14-140 f/4 to casually shoot a motorcycle event. The slowness is a drag at times—there was some indoor shooting during a seminar where my f/2.8 35-100 would have been the tool, as well as outside at dusk—but generally it's just so handy to have one body & lens in my tank bag. Or, just two bodies and lenses, with the second lens being a 7-14, providing excellent angle-of-view options with only two lenses.

I don' t know how much I'll notice or appreciate the slight increase in lens speed of the f/3.5 over the f/4, but the lens creep of the f/4 version has been irritating several times. The 58mm filter size of the newer version is a big plus as I have several lenses (zooms & primes) that also use a 58mm filter. The smaller size and lighter weight will surely be appreciated often.

Was this lens $700 when introduced? I would have preferred to have waited for the 14-140 f/3.5 to drop further in price, but I think I'll get enough use out of it over time for this not to matter, and will have it paid-for in a month or so, after which I'll forget the $$ pain.

AND, I remembered to use the mu-43 Amazon link to make my purchase, so this site will get a few pennies.

17. GKTodd

GKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 22, 2012
    U.S.
    Yep, released at $699 and most places sell it at $629 (assuming they have it in stock -- which I don't understand given that it's only 3-4 months old). Either way, well worth it, even if at a bit of a premium.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I still use my original 14-140 a fair bit. Hard to beat for scenics and travel, but I use an even lighter FZ200 when traveling now.

19. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    $629 is what I paid at Amazon; I'll have it Wednesday. :smile:

20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    2 week wait on Amazon

This lens was definitely a want not a need for me, but I bought at a good time from Amazon, they had a few left, but now say 2+ weeks before one would ship.

My copy should arrive today, looking forward to the new tool/toy. :thumbup: