thoughts after readng Nikon 1 V3 specs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jyc860923, Mar 13, 2014.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China

Dpreview has just updated with the specs info of Nikon's new offer. Honestly I never take Nikon 1 seriously and think that they are nothing more than a toy camera. But as we were not long ago celebrating the success of miniaturisation brought by GM1 into our system, and also troubled by its limits, it seems odd that Nikon has actually very good solution to overcome the limits, quote from the above link there says:

Maximum shutter speed 1/16000 sec
    Flash X sync speed 1/250 sec
    External flash Yes (via proprietary accessory shoe)
    Viewfinder type Electronic (optional)
    Number of focus points 171
    Articulated LCD Tilting

Those we miss appear on the Nikon 1. I understand the strength in our system and probably not all of these are necessarily needed to take a good photo. But with this I see the chance that we can have uncompromised versatility even in a small pack, high sync speed when using e shutter, fast on chip PDAF (Nikon implemented that since day one), chance to have built in flash and a hot shoe for either external flash or EVF (we only have that on the EPs), and 3 inch tilting LCD. Let's hope P and O start working on that soon.
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Looks like a great camera, much improved than last generation, but the MSRP $1200 for the kit (body, 10-30mm kit lens, grip and viewfinder), looks over price to me, there are many other choices for the price level.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I know a lot of people put down the Nikon 1 system but I think it has it's place. It does have some advantages over m4/3, although it also has some very obvious disadvantages. I think Nikon finally got the V model right this time.

The price is a little high but not ridiculous. The kit includes an EVF{which would cost a good $250 separately}, the grip{another $150} and the power zoom kit lens{$300}. So the camera itself only costs $500. However they should have released a no lens kit for those who already have lenses but want to upgrade to the new body.

I have been tempted by the Nikon 1 system since it came out. It does great video and is super for telephoto use{even better now that there is a 70-300mm lens}.
  4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^ Thats impressive I did not know that. Really hoping all the mid-higher end models in M43 have PDAF moving forward....

The Nikon 1 systems not bad, I can see its merits for telephoto work assuming the AF is actually good for moving subjects.
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    It's going to be a monster. Brand name recognition, good feature set, big numbers. Perfectly aimed at people aiming to step up from phones that have the money to spend, and I'm sure there will be a cheaper version in a month or two. Don't like really love Nikon products, but bravo.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    For 1200, I'd personally rather get the Sony RX10 (or RX100). Slower AF, but faster (better) glass on both; if you shoot action and want something little this is a very interesting option, though. For me, 1" is a perfect compromise sensor size for compacts, less so for ILCs.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a V1, two zooms and the 18.5/1.8, which is nice high value kit that i mostly use to shoot fast action. I think I maybe spent $425 on it. For $1000 I'm going to want that camera to be more of a primary camera, but the lenses are just not there for me to consider that.

Having said that, the V3 does look pretty sweet. I think Nikon has gotten it right in many ways. I'll be curious as to how the price holds up.

I think this is the system to help mirrorless be more than a niche offering. The average person often sees a need beyond their phone when trying to take pics of their kids playing sports. Nikon 1 is built for that, especially compared to other mirrorless offerings. It remains to be seen if Nikon can position and market it properly, and sell at a price point that will fly with soccer moms/dads, who will consider entry level DSLRs that cost a lot less.
  8. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    The price is too high for this camera. Especially with the Sony A6000 is $800 for the kit version.
  9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    The V3 looks great, and that 70-300 lens is amazing. I can image a lot of birders would love that combo. But for $1200 for the kit and another $1000 for the 70-300, how many people will actually buy?

It's like the Coolpix A -- price at least 50% higher than it should be.
  10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    People with high end smart phones, that pay for feature setsd and design that don't even know Sony, Fuji, m4/3 exists as a camera manufacturer... That's a big group.
  11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Pardon me but which of these are specs anyone misses on micro43? Maybe max shutter speed.

Its a nice system in some ways, but its a mid ground between a camera like the LX7 and micro43 to me. Legacy lenses look less good on it due to sensor size (read effective magnification) and it doesn't have any significant physical size advantage.

Unless I misunderstood your post ...
  12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    IMO there are better options for the money. That won't stop people from buying it though, I was pretty surprised by how many Nikon shooters I knew who bought these cameras back on day one when they were first released.
  13. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Sony tends to be featured at most places that sell cameras. At my local Best Buy they have the Nikon 1 and Sony NEX displays right next to each other. Though in the DSLR section they only have Nikon and Canon, no A-Mount. Comparing the Nikon 1 and A6000 or even A5000, I think the uneducated consumer might opt for the option that costs $400 less even if they love the Nikon brand.

The have Samsung NX too, but that's over on the other side of the store in a big display of Samsung products.
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    My main interest in the Nikon 1 system is for the ability to take action photos. I'm not sure I would be happy with the handling of the camera though, and they certainly don't currently have lenses to compete with u4/3. I will keep my eye on them though.
  15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I had a J1 briefly. It was actually a nice little camera, But by the time I had purchased the lenses that were necessary for me to take advantage of the J1's PDAF while indoors and in moderate-to-low light, the price was too high for the niche use I had planned for it.

Nikon's One system is perfect for many people - especially those who are moving into a system from smartphones or low-end compacts. But, for me, it was neither fish nor fowl (smaller than a DSLR but larger than a true compact) and overlapped with too much of the gear I already had.

But I will say this: If the latest camera's improved PDAF really ends up offering full DSLR autofocus performance in both good and bad light, all bets are off. But is that likely? Not that Nikon couldn't make it happen. But the company has a history of crippling some of its own products to product its DSLR line.
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    PDAF points. If m4/3 can get 171 of them, and better yet integrate them into a $500-$600 body (which is what the V3 is, once you subtract the EVF, grip and kit lens), that'd be awesome. One of the things Nikon is good at is iterating. Mark my words - in 6 months, you'll see that AF system on a kit for half that $1200 price.

It's not really intended for legacy lenses. Then again, m4/3 is significantly less interesting when it comes to legacy lenses than E-mount and X mount are.

The main knocks so far that I see is that as DPR reported, they built an enthusiast camera at enthusiast prices and failed to build more than 1 enthusiast lens. And of course, the prices overall are just way too high. $1000 for a 70-300/4.5-5.6? Yikes!
  17. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I am unfamiliar with this Nikon system, but how are they getting an 810mm equivalent out of a 300mm lens?
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Smaller sensor. 2.7x crop factor on the 1" sensor yields 810mm for 300mm.
  19. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    "The price is a little high but not ridiculous. The kit includes an EVF{which would cost a good $250 separately}, the grip{another $150} and the power zoom kit lens{$300}. So the camera itself only costs $500."

Respectfully disagree.

I have a V1 and three lenses: 10mm, 10-30, 30-110. If I wanted to upgrade, I certainly wouldn't want to buy yet another 10-30 kit lens. I might or might not want to buy the grip. I'd probably prefer to have a built-in EVF rather than a clip-on, which would add less to the price than the clip-on does. So calling the camera $500 is, in my mind, a stretch. You need to lay out $1200, and the sale price of the grip and kit lens (assuming you don't want them) is likely to be minimal, since every US buyer will have them. Pretty much every current N1 owner already has the 10-30 or the other kit zoom. And the grip and EVF only work on the V3, since they won't go on the older N1s.

I'd be generous and call it a $1000 camera. Maybe someone will prefer the new PZ to their old 10-30, or maybe don't have the 10-30.

So, just like the V1 and V2, this package comes in at the very top of the market for most people. It makes sense if you want a smaller camera which really excellent focusing ability, or have a collection of Nikkor AF-S zooms that you want to use. I have the AF-S 70-300, and would be unlikely to spend $1,000 for the new 1 Nikkor 70-300. It's a bit smaller and 20% lighter, and doesn't need the FT-1 with the single AF spot focusing limitation. But since I pretty much stopped using my V1 when I went m43, this isn't enough to draw me back.
  20. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    The V2 is still selling for around $1000 it looks like. But if I am reading things right it has a built in viewfinder and probably doesn't need a grip. I'll have to look closer at the differences between the V2 and V3, but if the V2 prices drop significantly with the release of the V3 it may be the better camera to buy. Of course, the V3 may have some significant advantages over the V2 such as performance or photo quality, I don't know.