Thought Exercise: Bike Touring Kit

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
Sounds like an epic ride. Enjoy!

FWIW, I sometimes ride with a 360 camera, shooting stills and video. It's a unique way to capture the moment.
Thanks for the tip! That’s almost certainly worth doing. I don’t have any action/portable video stuff at all right now. Probably will be the best way to record memories for future use (vs photos I take just because they’re nice and happen to be on the route). Any recommendations for a 360 cam?

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Thanks for the tip! That’s almost certainly worth doing. I don’t have any action/portable video stuff at all right now. Probably will be the best way to record memories for future use (vs photos I take just because they’re nice and happen to be on the route). Any recommendations for a 360 cam?
Insta 360 One X2. I have the original version and the image stabilization is excellent. It shoots 5.6k video too. Here's a sample:

I'd recommend a short selfie stick while shooting too so that your hand is further from the lens. You can try mounting it too but I'd imagine the gravel road will be too bumpy. When I ride, I pull the camera out of my jersey pocket when I'm in a scenic place and shoot for a couple of minutes.

Real Name
Roddy
There's a great deal on a first gen in the buy-sell page, I might try and snag it just to see how it goes. If I really love it maybe I'll gun for a gen 2 for the weathersealing and better stabilization. I'd definitely only pair it with a GX series.
I have that first gen 14-140. Since I bought my 45-175 last year I have not touched it, I would much rather take the 12-32 and the 45-175 with me, and have the hassle of changing lenses. It is also heavy as hell in comparison and awkward to use. It takes reasonable photos for sure, but if you want to make them special then they do need some work in PP. The 12mm end on the small lens may well serve you really well in Iceland.

It is obvious that the new generations of the 14-140 are much better, but if you're going to spend some money my advice would be to buy a 45-175 rather than the lovely lump that is the old 14-140.

As always, there's also the two lenses are better than one aspect too - if you have a failure with one you still have another, and you'll be a long way from a camera store :)

Last edited:
Real Name
Roddy
I'm stupid. Forget everything I said above, the old 14-140 is brilliant. Far better than the 45-175mm, and in fact, better than the new Marki and Markii generations of the 14-140; I mean, who needs weathersealing?

Did I mention that I actually have one of those brilliant old 14-140's here? Do you want to buy it?

:dash2:

11GTCS

Mu-43 Regular
I have that first gen 14-140. Since I bought my 45-175 last year I have not touched it, I would much rather take the 12-32 and the 45-175 with me, and have the hassle of changing lenses. It is also heavy as hell in comparison and awkward to use. It takes reasonable photos for sure, but if you want to make them special then they do need some work in PP. The 12mm end on the small lens may well serve you really well in Iceland.

It is obvious that the new generations of the 14-140 are much better, but if you're going to spend some money my advice would be to buy a 45-175 rather than the lovely lump that is the old 14-140.

As always, there's also the two lenses are better than one aspect too - if you have a failure with one you still have another, and you'll be a long way from a camera store :)
Sorry, nomenclature clarification; I mean the 3.5-5.6 Mk1 when I say first gen. I don't consider the other 14-140 to be the same lens since it's clearly a different optical formulation. Dang it Panasonic, can't release different lenses with the same focal length xD

I'll think I'll give it a try. Worst case I don't take it and flip it for minimal loss, best case I save myself considerable money. I already have a O9-18 and O12, so really that part of the focal range I have covered if I decide I like the lens but want a little more reach. The 45-175 seems like a great lens and is on my list, but the 14-140 even has solid macro capabilities with a Raynox, so it could literally be an all in one with the possibility to add a bright prime (20/1.7 maybe?) or the 9-18 if I feel like I'm missing the wide end, though I think the open expanse of Iceland will lend to long focal lengths, at least for my style of photography.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom