Thought about moving to Oly µ4/3.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Xenocerebral, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Xenocerebral

Xenocerebral New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi everyone!
    I'm looking to buy a Olympus µ4/3 camera in the near future as a replacement for my Nikon D7000. I lean strongly towards Olympus because of in-body stabilization and I have little interest in video. I've done some research and handled the EM5 and the PL5 but I still have some thoughts so here goes:

I'm I right in thinking that besides physical handling and control the only real differences between these cameras are;
    1) built in EVF vs optional;
    2) higher res screen;
    3) 5 axis stabilization vs 2 axis;
    4) and weather sealing?

Is the optional EVF (VF-2) as good as the build in one in terms of refresh rate, etc?

Could someone be so kind to post a picture with the PL5 or the E-P3 with attached VF-2 next to a D7000 for hight comparison, please?

Also, I am aware that the announcement of the "E-P5" and a new EVF is expected soon so I'm hoping it will check all my boxes for a reasonable price.

2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    you can also assign custom settings to the dial on the epl5. You can not with the OMD (at least at this stage).
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think you've got the list of differences about right. I think the OMD wins on ergonomics too since there is an extra dial and they're both just in the right place to allow you full control of the camera without removing your eye from the viewfinder.

Regarding the EVF - I have both an OMD and EPL5 with VF2. The VF2 is at least as good as the in-built EVF. I've seen a post or two here from people claiming that it's actually better, but I'm not convinced of that. One thing to consider if you're into using flash is that you can't have both the EVF and flash on the EPL5 at the same time. I think this is quite a limitation of the EPL5 if you're into serious use as a studio camera (professional studio or amateur setup).

Another thing to consider is that the EPL5 with VF2 is actually a little taller than the OMD. For me, if EVF is important (which it is for me) and I was buying only 1 camera, it would have to be the OMD.
  4. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    If i remember correctly, the EVF of the OMD is the same as the VF-2. However they have the same resolution.

But the 5-axis IS of the OMD is awesome - not comparable to the PEN IS. Furthermore you have to oertunity to add an extra battery grip, that improves the handling with larger lenses.

I own a E-PL3 myself and had the opprtunity to use the OMD of a friend. The handling is completely different.
  5. kitch

kitch New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2013
    As crazy as it sounds I'm actually quite happy with the handling of my E-PM2. I don't change shooting modes much (almost always Aperture priority). But even when I do, it takes two clicks, menu->(touch screen A). Very simple. I have the following button assignments set up.

Fn = DoF preview
    Rec = AEL
    Four way up = exp compensation (switches between Shutter/Aperture in Manual)
    Four way left = choose focus
    Four way right = ISO
    Four way down = WB
    Center button = Super control panel/Flash control

I find this really easy to work with. Very fast and intuitive for me. Even with the small grip it's an easy hold and I have large hands (I'm 6' 2").

I'm using the VF-3 finder which works fantastic. Great clear view for framing and on the fly setting changes through the viewfinder. The color isn't great in it, but the refresh is very fast. I've not tried it for action shots at this point, but otherwise its great.

Going with the EPL5 would net you the control dial which for me the best part would be the ability to map MySets to it and the flip up screen, which the viewfinder adds.

One big annoyance for me is how clunky the viewfinder attached makes the setup in a bag, it handles fine and the overall size is still small.

For me the big win on the EM5 would have been the 5 axis IBIS and the ability to shoot flash with the finder. I just couldn't justify the cost difference with how much I am shooting. I spent the cost difference on a 45/1.8 and 20/1.7 instead. I'd rather have the glass.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The only real differences with the E-M5's EVF and the VF-2 is that the E-M5's is polarized (which is actually bad if you like to wear polarized sunglasses when you shoot but is a good thing otherwise) and also has the option of a sports mode with twice the refresh rate (120fps instead of 60fps) but poorer color and quality. In normal mode they both operate the same.

The E-PL5 is a lot more compact to pack away. The body is much slimmer, plus the ability to remove the EVF and pack it into an empty corner or pocket of your bag makes a tremendous difference in packing size. However, the handling and durability of the E-M5 is somewhat superior in every way. Not to say that there's anything wrong with the handling or durability of the E-PL5! It just depends on what level you want to take it to...
  7. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Re: Thought about moving to Oly µ4/3.

I believe you can add custom settings to the 4way dpad on em5. I was able to change mine by changing the whole 4way from focus point to something else and the separate directions become configurable. I was between the epm2, epl5 and em5 due to the rebates offered with both cameras. Personally, I hate how the epl5 feels in the hand. I much rather prefer the epm2 or ep3 amongst the PEN series. In the end, I chose the em5 because I wanted to purchase 2 lenses along with the kit (tbh, I also wanted the 12mm but I would literally have to sell a kidney to get it). Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  8. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Thought about moving to Oly µ4/3.

I just got my Oly OM-D this week and am in LURVE with it so bad!!! ^_^
  9. kitch

kitch New to Mu-43

Mar 23, 2013
    Congrats!! You've got the exact kit that I was very seriously considering over my EPM2.
  10. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    I have a GF1 with evf, EPL1 with VF2 and the E-M5. Because I came from OVF I could never get used to the Monitor aproach. The panny evf is pure cr_p compared to the VF2 and evf on the E-M5. I am extremely pleased with everything about the E-M5. The GF1 and EPL1 are nice cameras and very functional. The VF-2 is a very good viewfinder but slightly annoying to me because of having to remove it everytime I store my camera.
    If you are coming from a DSLR you may want to go with the E-M5 because it handles more like one.

Good luck

11. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    I have both. The E-Pl5 with 20 attached will fit in a jacket pocket, the EM5 will not. The handling of the E-Pl5 is quite good for its size, but the OMD is very good, and with the grip, well for me it's just about perfect. I like the portability of the E-PL5, but in pretty much every other aspect, the OMD is worth every penny. If I could only have one, it would most definitely be the OMD.

I think you will be really happy no matter what you choose.
  12. wallyrulz

wallyrulz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2011
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot. 5-axis IS is almost unbelievable. Seriously.
  13. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    You can check this site and do size comparisons of any camera against another. Quite cool!!!

Compare camera dimensions side by side

I bought an OMD in December and absolutely love the camera. I've just added an EPL5 for a trip I'm making to Thailand next week. I'm surprised how much smaller the EPL5 is compared to the OMD. I really like the EPL5 too. I plan to use the OMD for serious work and the EPL5 as more a casual point and shoot. I also wanted the EPL5 so that I could fit it in a Pelican 1120 case for days at the beach and kayaking in Thailand. That gives me a nice waterproof solution. I'll try and post a photo or video of my travel kit for this trip.
  14. Xenocerebral

Xenocerebral New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Its great to read that people are happy with either camera. I am still undecided and will have to hold out for the next PEN announcement. If it has the sleek body and controls of the E-P3 and the 5 axis stabilizer I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Keep your thoughts coming though. I guess one can never get to well informed.
  15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Note: the LVF-1 that came with the GF1 was, as you say, pure cr_ap. However, the LVF-2 (similar spec to Olympus VF2) that comes with the GX1 is the best EVF that I have used (includes LVF-1, G3, GH2, G5, E-M5 and some brief hand-on time at the store with the NEX-6.) There isn't a significant difference over those others (LVF-1 excluded), but it just seems a little less tunnel-like than the ones with built-in EVFs.
  16. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    It depends on how you shoot. For my money, if manual exposure mode is important to you the E-M5 wins hands down. I always liked my Pens but found exposure adjustment (in manual) fiddly. Even in A or S priority one dial gives you direct access to exposure compensation in stead of having to press a button then dial it in.

It's different for all of us, but I found the operability of the E-M5 a huge step up. If you fiddle with exposure controls, you reall do fiddle on the Pens, but not on the E-M5.
  17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Again, it depends on how and what you shoot. The OM-D is very quick to use, especially in M mode with a grip, its handling is equal to a pro level dSLR and for most genres, the OM-D performs with the best dSLRs.

If style and small packaging are higher on your list than handling and performance then the Pen is your camera. If handling/performance, IBIS, weather sealing, metal construction, built-in EVF are higher then it's the OM-D.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not exactly a D7000, but here's an E-PM1 w/VF-2 next to a D700 to give you an idea of the height:

19. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    On the E-PL5 you can set it up so the wheel does aperture adjustment in A mode (and similarly shutter in S mode) without having to press any buttons first.

20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Why do I even bother reading this stuff. There are so many intelligent and helpful people on this forum, my input is basically worthless. So all I can say Xeno is welcome to Mu43 and notice all the help you can get here for your future endeavors.