Those who ditched DSLR's to go full m43, do you miss your previous setups? Why?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by gdourado, Jun 4, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal

How are you?
    So, It's been nearly a month since I sold my DSLR gear went went full m43...
    Currently I have the gear on my sig.
    I have been to a trip overseas since then and it was my first trip without the DSLR.
    I have to say that so far I'm really liking the experience!
    I am shooting more, I am liking the quality of the files and the overall shooting experience.
    It is just fun to shoot my E-PL2.
    On the trip, I really liked the fact I could take a full setup with a trinity of primes and a camera body and everything was light and practical.
    I also shot at the street at people, artists, performers, and I felt that the innocent look of my E-PL2 was a big plus.

But ever now and then I go to the other forums I am also a member of, Canon and Nikon forums and go through some threads of pics and just start to wonder if I did the right move... And ever now and again I think about picking up a more modern DSLR (had a 5D classic)... YOu know... Feelings come and go...

But overall, I am happy. :)
    Som just wanted to take the opportunity to share a bit more of my experience and know a bit about yours...
    So if at all possible, please share away! :)

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't know if I can rightly say that I've switched completely over to Micro Four-Thirds. I only use Micro Four-Thirds bodies, but I still use SLR and Rangefinder glass. I'm happier with my setup now though, than I've ever been with any other systems before.
  3. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    I too had a 5d classic, although its a very nice camera, I wasn't able to get the Ls... Well I did, but at that point I didn't appreciate the weight anymore.

I do miss the viewfinder, but with my style of shooting now, I'd rather have my epl2 now than the 5d classic
  4. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm also a former 5D user, now using a EM5 and EPL2. Haven't noticed any IQ fall off, am able to afford a much wider range of lenses, and am really enjoying the smaller, lighter package.
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    On a personal level, I don't miss it at all. I bought the system for the compactness and high IQ. It has performed exceptionally well.

On a professional level, it's a little harder. IQ isn't the issue, but until the E-M5, things like not having dual dials or enough buttons were annoying. I still am getting used to the blackout timing and how long it takes between when I press the shutter and I get shot. Not having a proper fast zoom lens kit also hurts.. I want that 35-100 already! =) But on the flip side, I doubt I'd buy it's DSLR sibling if I were still using them.. huge and expensive (assuming the 35-100 doesn't top $16/1700).
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    There's a reason why I have:
    -Micro Four Thirds
    -Film SLR
    -Film interchangeable lens system compact
    -Nikon 1
    -Sigma DP2

Because I haven't found a "one system fits all" :smile:
    • Like Like x 6
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I'm currently in the process of doing what you did. I have the EPL2 and awaiting for a EM5 to replace my DSLR. Plus investing in a nice collection of lenses (plus some manual ones I have, with adaptors).

TBH, I wouldn't consider replacing a DSLR with the EPL2 (or any Pen or other :43: camera up to now). The EM5 offers (for me) the same performance and IQ as the best DSLR setup I could have. And the paradigm is much more favorable, again, for me. For my type of photography, it's :43: for the visible future, plus... Full Frame, old school (film) in some specific cases.

Finally, if you'd like to consider this from a value for money standpoint, just calculate how much it would cost you to have a similar lens collection to what you have, for a DSLR. Even without the size/weight considerations.
  8. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    I started shooting with a film SLR in 1975, and eventually moved to DSLRs. Found that in my later years (I'm 60 now), the DSLR would stay home a lot, more because of the big lenses than because of the body itself. Once I got my first M43 camera (GF1, which I still have), I hung onto my last DSLR for about two years, before I finally admitted to myself I would not be going back. I'm not that great a photographer, but do enjoy getting out and shooting. Don't really miss anything about the bigger equipment. At my level, the M43 cameras are great.
  9. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Well I did it the opposite way. Sold my dslr gear butnow bought a Nikon D90, and will keep my m4/3 gear. I really missed dslr even if not in a heavy outfit. I only travel with a general purpose lens and one 35mm fixed. So I'm relatively lightweight.
    Like RT_Panther I havent yet found a "one system fits it all" for me obviously. For someone else its surely different.
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I ditched a Canon Rebel T3i for a Oly E-PL1 and have enjoyed the sharper and more warmly colorful jpegs of the Oly. Also bought a OM-D for video shooting and I find it produces sharper video with better audio than the T3i. So I cannot see any reason to use a big DSLR anymore for stills nor any reason to use a camcorder for video.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I switched to m43 for two reasons. First was the fact that I wanted to more easily be able to use legacy glass with my DSLR and it was a lot simpler process with m43 than anything else available at the time. Second I wanted the kit to be small so when I was dragging up into the mountains or traveling it wouldn't be such a pain the backside (and shoulders) to lug around.

In retrospect I haven't missed having a DSLR at all. Of course I find that I do prefer the mini-DSLR body style. I have had great luck with the Panasonic G2 and GH2. One thing that I have found is that the EVF on the GH2 is in many ways superior to the OVF on the DSLRs I have had. For instance the OVF on the E-500/520 was absolutely awful for me because it was so small. Manually focusing legacy lenses is MUCh nicer on the various m43 bodies I've used.
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    If I only used my camera for personal use, I'd be all m4/3. But I don't, I use a camera for both my day job (art director at a military contractor), and for freelance work. I find I can't bear to NOT take out a DSLR when people are paying me. My answer is ultimately both... but...

If the D600 turns out to be an FX camera, my prayers are answered. There WILL be an obvious IQ difference in full-frame and m4/3, and if the D600 is actually sold for $1599 as rumored, I'm in for both. As it is now, IQ is a toss-up in my current workflow, and that keeps pushing me back and forth between m4/3 and an APS-C DSLR. A D600 and E-P3 would be the perfect combo for me. Then I can sit back and lust over the pending E-P4.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. bragur

bragur Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 16, 2012
    I also ditched my heavy 5D and L-lens setup and was aiming for the EM5, but I couldn't wait so I got myself an EP3. Boy was I surprised. Obviously the quality is different, but it's still very good for what I do. Instead of my zooms I was happy to go all primes (12/17/25/45) and am loving it so far.
    I've been doing some stuff on the side for some years and did my first gig (recipe book) after switching the other day, the other half of which I did with the 5D and so had a straight comparison. The EP3 did veeery well, so good in fact I'm thinking of hanging on to it and instead go for the next implementation of the Pen or OM-D.

Overall I'm just loving the compactness, the lenses and the whole system. Needless to say I'm also loving this community :)
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I miss the full frame look, and C-AF and that's all. I don't miss the size, or being torn on whether I wanted to bring my camera along or not.
  15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I've never used a Nikon, but have been watching this closely. I would want it to be more D5100 sized, though, and no D800 or D4 sized.
  16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I'd expect it to be D300s sized, a bit bigger than the D7000.

I read that killing off the semi-pro APS-C model would help separate their pro cameras from the fast gaining m4/3 cameras. There would be APS-C for DX lenses and hobbyists (to compete with m4/3), and the full-frame cameras for decidedly better IQ over m4/3. Does make some sense, and opens the door for a later large sensor system to eventually replace the DSLR-lite Dxxxx cameras without affecting their "pro" image gear.
  17. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Done it twice now. 5D kit to EP2 to 5D kit to OM-D. Was overall very pleased with EP2 but missed, as others have described, the FF look. But when the OM-D was rumored and then announced, I knew it was for me. And it is.

Fits my style perfectly. What I do miss, sometimes, from DSLR is the fast continuous AF and better selection of long glass. But I don't miss that enough to support dual systems or the bulk.

If I was still doing this professionally, I would have the m43 for wide and medium, and an APS-C for telephoto and be very content. (Actually did that with the EP-2. I was still at the newspaper and shot with the m43 wide and carried a 1DMkIIn with 70-200 for my telephoto)
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    I sold all my Nikon DSLR equipment some months ago and along came the OM-D. I ordered it back in Feb, still waiting for the black body 12-50 kit. I have the grip, a couple of lenses & batteries. Recently I purchased a used E-PL2 while I wait. VERY impressed with the images straight out of this camera. Had a huge complement from my daughter last week (LA pro photog) about the quality of my images. She shoots very expensive Canon's and is a great commercial/wedding photog, and was amazed at the results.

No regrets for me, Love shooting great quality images all wrapped up in a very light package with wonderful JPEGS right out of the box. Finished with camera tanks !!!! I really don't see how the OM-D can beat the E-PL2, we shall see if it's worth the expense. Frankly comparing shots on this site, other forums and testers web sites I don't see much if any difference in image quality between the two. I know I am comparing different photogs with different skills in different places with different setups and it may not be a fair analysis, so I will do my own.

Hope to have my OM-D end of this week, plan on shooting same shots, same lens, same set-up on both camera's next week. I know I will love many things about the OM-D. Not sure about the extra expense and picture quality.

We shall see.
  19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    As much as one side of my brain keeps telling me to dump all of my Pentax DSLR gear and concentrate of micro four thirds, part of me can't yet let go. And I really do use both systems. I keep waiting for an auto-focus system in micro four thirds that will be be much better-suited to sports and birds in flight. The Oly E-M5 has made great strides in image stabilizaiton; perhaps Panny will make a breakthrough in AF.
  20. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    If we really consider this for what it really is, and that's mirrorless vs DSLR, things start getting in fact much simpler.

A sensor is a sensor is a sensor. It has a given size; which is in fact irrelevant. In fact, all people in this thread are only talking of two main advantages: FF look (a matter of taste) and C-AF (a technological issue).

Since Nikon already introduced phase detect AF in their diminutive V1, I guess mirrorless is only about a year or so away of achieving the same AF performance as a DSLR. And putting to sleep an antiquated technology for good. Legacy lenses and marketing will surely keep DSLRs in the game for quite some time but that's it. Mirrorless in general will be the way to go, absolutely no technical dissadvantages whatsoever.

And then you'll have your pick of FF "look" as well as huge pixel count, at the expense of some size/weight sacrifices, or :43: and APS-C sensors for portability.