Those unsure of the 50-200mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by OzRay, Sep 25, 2014.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    • Like Like x 5
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Thanks for the link to his nice sample images. What exactly is reassuring about them?

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There has been some uncertainty by potential buyers of this lens, as to its quality and performance on the E-M1. As I no longer own this lens, I can't authoritatively comment just through past experience, so it's good to see a professional photographer making use of these older lenses and showing what it can achieve.

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That lens is brilliant on the E-M1. I have one and as far as performance goes, it's much better for focusing than on the E-M5 or E-P5. I've captured some great images with the combo. Of course, the skill of the photographer is the most important part of the equation......

Posted elsewhere, but just as an example:

05kMI7G.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There are 4/3 lenses that I've sold and sometimes wish I'd kept, the 50-200mm is one and the other is the 11-22mm.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    I wish that everyone thought these were rubbish then I could buy one cheap, oh well.....

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There will be a growing revival on 4/3 lenses as the Olympus bodies keep improving. They will be considered in the same way as classic Leica lenses are with Leica users. Buy now before they run out. :biggrin:

8. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'd say that would mean buying quickly as retailers' 4/3 stock seems to be drying up quite fast. The largest camera shop in my city has about 18 inches of shelf space left for 4/3 lenses and the salespeople have forgotten it's there. I was talking with the owner not long ago and he realized that although he had some lenses like the 9-18 and the 11-22 on the shelf, they actually hadn't had stock of either for months and none in their national warehouse to replenish. The SHG stuff already seems like new stock doesn't exist anymore.

I agree emphatically that the 4/3's glass will become cult in the not-too-distant future; it's incredible stuff. I managed to win a like-new condition 12-60mm recently for $180 which felt like Christmas. I've watched a number of 50-200's auction for pretty low prices and I usually kick myself for not jumping in on the bidding. If Olympus extends PDAF to its lower-end models (which I'm not yet convinced that they'll do), those prices are going to head upwards steadily.

9. Tor

Tor Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 1, 2014
    Still using my 50-200 on the EM1. Sold the big E-5. Holding on to the 50-200. Works very good on the OMD. Will I sell it? Probably. Then buy a 40-150.

10. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Anyone care to comment on the Non SWD Version and if it works well and is SWD the only difference in the models?

11. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Even though the translation is poor this interview with Mr. Terada of Olympus by Pen and Tell seems to imply that 4/3 lenses are still being manufactured:

Mr. Terada is head of DSLR development of Olympus Tokyo. I had the honor this time a one-hour interview to perform with him at the Mr. Terada a tad bit betrayed about the future product strategy of Olympus.
    Of course I can not reproduce the entire interview here, so I'll summarize a few key points:
    Even after the E-M1 cameras will come to support the FT lenses natively with phase AF. The FT lenses are therefore still made despite the 40-150 and the next two lenses and also support. There are even considerations to equip other cameras with these sensors.
    The "tripartite division" of the OM-D line will be maintained only product cycles are generally longer.
    In terms of lenses is of course also working on other products - and not only to the already announced 7-14 and 300mm. We have also understood that there was a need for fast lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The AF is noisier and a little slower on the non-SWD version which is also the lighter lens. I was talking to an Olympus sponsored photographer once who said that the SWD lens had a completely new optical design so that the focusing elements were lighter and therefore the AF could be faster, but that the MkI was slightly the sharper of the two lenses. I have only tried one copy of the SWD lens and it was badly decentred in the shorter focal lengths, but it was still plenty sharp in the rest of the frame that wasn't affected by the decentred elements so I don't know if any difference in sharpness between the two is meaningful or even repeatable between different copies of either lens.

I managed to snag my non-SWD lens for $330 a few years ago when 4/3 was basically considered dead and the AF struggled on my E-M5. I haven't really kept track of prices post E-M1.

• Like Like x 1
  13. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Non SWD works very well. There is some debate on optical differences but I think it is safe to say they are very slight if any.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Wow, Jay's photos are awesome. I love his use of compression in his landscape shots. The polar bear fishing on ice is stunning!

15. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I did the same thing after getting a refurb EM1 deal from Olympus. It was still similar price in US and that was the reason I got it... I used it even with 2x TC, af and IQ degrades but still usable with af hunting. AF is better with EM1 with TC then EM5/gx7...

16. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I already owned the 11-22, and I just picked up a 14-54mm version 1 for cheap (just over $100) when I got my E-M1. I was thinking about getting a 50-200 plus a 1.4x, but I think I'd rather get the 300mm f4 when it's out.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    From what I understand, the optics are exactly the same, but there were some minor internal changes, as well as the SWD.

• Like Like x 1