Those Dream Cameras that shall most likely never be.....

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Tom Swaman, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Do you ever dream of that once in a lifetime, perfect-for-you camera? Oh yes, today's almighty profit motive will probably wipe out the possibility of this dream coming true.

Now what I want is a very well constructed, simple camera similar to the size of the GH2. I am not interested inshooting anything other than still images and I do not like or want any scene modes. I want and need modes M, A, S, preferably a shutter with B and T and I would tolerate, but probably never use mode P. I will tolerate a built-in flash, solely for the purpose of tripping photoelectric devices. I prefer an RF remote to either a hard-wired remote or to an infra-red triggered remote. The camera should be mirrorless and include a very high resolution EVF and a good, high resolution screen or touch with maximum articulation. Care must be taken with these screens so as to minimize unnecessary battery drain. The sensor should be close to 12 mb in effective resolution with the pixel pitch optimized for noise minimization. The chip should best be capable of shooting 4:3 and/or 3:2 aspect ratios in up to fine JPEG plus true RAW@. White balance and bracketing and exposure compensation ought to be manually adjustable. The camera ought to be capable of shooting up to perhaps six to eight frames per second with shutter adjustment between about 30 to 120 seconds on the long exposure end to about 1/4000th second on the short exposure end. Finally, the camera must support a wide range of interchangeable lenses having sturdy metal mounts, two to four f-stop image stabilization with the greatest stabilization in the longer focal length lenses, all lenses capable or both rapid/near-silent auto-focus and manual focus, switchable image stabilization and adjustable range-limited focus control.

Is this camera a pipe dream? No, the GH2 is really rather close to this. Perhaps Panasonic engineers could truly innovate and offer this near ideal photographer's tool in modular form for the videographer and for the still photographer. In fact, those who wanted both might purchase two modules and use these at their own will when needed.

Did I forget anything? Probably, because I am at that age where forgetfulness is a part of life. I did not forget to mention sensor or sensor size, as the sensor size of the GH2 or perhaps up to the size of APS-C is near ideal for a top performing amateur to semi-pro electronic duplicator aka camera.

Oh well, with just a small amount of engineering using technology that is commercially available, my little drem camera could become a reality. Yes, I do realize that what I have suggested is a camera for those who want to be true quality image makers and not just for those who wish to push a button at a birthday party and then generate a 4 X 6 print. There is nothing wrong with either individual, but the camera they need and wat differs widely.

Come on Panasonic, surprise us with the next great camera you introduce!!!!!

Thoughts for fun,
    • Like Like x 2
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I would like the gf1 with a range finder type evf, tilt touch screen(just swing up),better sensor with great iso performance,7+ FPS, quiet shutter, and a better system for manual focusing. Seems doable don't you think?

Edit: and IBS:biggrin:
  3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Beware ! As H. Ford once famously put it, if he had listened to his customers, he wouldn't have made the model T but faster horses !
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Beware, H. Ford was not in the camera/photography business.

Now really, have you ever seen a modular horse?
  5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Henry didn't listen to customers he told them what they could have..." you can have any colour you want... as long as it's black" first thing they taught me when I started selling fords, and black was chosen because it dried faster than any other colour. The assembly line speed was affected by drying time..
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    fine, I'll take my dream camera in black then. Thank you.:wink:
  7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

You are welcome, Luke. Great Idea! Mine in black also is wonderful as long as it doesn't run on hay.
  8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi Tom, I'd go quite similar to what you said, with a few changes/additions...

- GH2 sized body with E-3 level built quality and sealing (my one complaint with the GH2 body is slightly flimsy build...).
    - Sealed lenses to complement the body.
    - Over-sized sensor that starts at native 4:5 (rather than 4:3) and can be user programmed to shoot any aspect ratio down to 16:9.
    - Maintain the existing 16mp @ 4:3 resolution. I think it's a good balance.
    - Electronic shutter with max speed of 1:16,000". I say this as someone who's tried to use the Nokton 25/f0.95 in sunlight :/ Alternately, a max of 1:8,000" with in-built ND filter (aka X100 and others).
    - Well built battery grip for use with longer lenses.
    - Battery life of 600 exposures MINIMUM!
    - The little knob that's on the 'Info' button on the GH2 - I want that knob on all the buttons so I can clearly feel them without looking. Simple things like that make good cameras great.
  9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Sure... It's called a camel! Or is that a horse designed by committee? :rofl: I've got a million of 'em. Thank you very much, I'm here all week. Drive safety and don't forget to tip your servers...
  10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Mirrorless E-5. 'nuff said.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree, but not holding my breath

It will probably never happen.

If you notice, new models are continuously comming out, faster and faster. Their development time is steadily decreasing, so the key issue is "ROI" - Return On Investment. While such a camera would appeal to a hand full of us, it would likely have very low appeal to the majority of camera buyers and the major dealers. Delaers have a lot of say in he overall development, for if they don't linke it, they won't order it.

The new marketing is now aimed at the female market, the soccer moms who want a better cameras, but not larger and heavier. A very brisk campaign is already underway in Japan, and just etting started in the US. I think the "G3" was a good move, and the GF3 will will be the first entry into the emerging female market.
  12. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Ah Wasabi Bob, the GF# must be the third model of what is generally known as the Great Female. Enuf said.

I started this thread with the hopes of making this serious. I suggest the camera I have started to outline need not be heavier. If it were sold as a moduylar camera, dealers could make more money as they could realize a mark-up on each module. Also, if the camera was truly good and simplified as suggested, this would open a directly competitive market to DSLRs, FSLRs and higher end point-and-shoots. It is not very hard to convince a soccer mom to buy a camera that does not have a shutter delay after she has used one of today's expensive point-and-shoots to try to photograph one of her little angels kicking the ball, only to net a blurred shot of the opposing goal, out of focus and missing ball and players. Perhaps, hust perhaps, someone like a Panasonic might become smart and innovative. There must be hope!

Best regards,
  13. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Is this about having a manly camera or forum users dream camera? Some DSLR users talk smack about M43, and Large format users talk smack about them. The funny thing is we are all interested in the same area. Some are more in gear, process, or product and because of the easy camera they will sell more and it will fund a larger selection for all of us. Look at Leica the use money from their Panasonic partnership to fund their higher end stuff and everyone wins.
  14. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Dear Nickthetasmaniac,

From one devil to the next, I like your post. I do not think the 4:5 format is mandatory as most folks never use the full sensor and crop their pictures. History attests to this when you realize that the standard small format photo went from 4 X 5 in about 1950 to 3-1/2 X 5 in 1965 to 4 X 6 in a few more years. Furthermore, if sensor format were to match final print format, Hasselblad would never have stayed in business.

You are so correct about sealed camera bodies and lenses, I almost put this in my original post, but I was afraid that too much might kill the impact. In fact, I may have posted too much. Having used both sealed and unsealed hardware, I support your desire as mandatory.

Now if Panasonic will only read our forum, we might get our new great camera!!!!!!!!!!

15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I sometimes think all we really need is for Panasonic and Olympus to work together. They won't, of course, because they are ultimately competitors, but they have an annoying array of complementary strengths and weaknesses.
  16. Maeda

Maeda Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    This is not a chance happening. :rolleyes:
  17. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Face it, we are in a volume market

It comes down to "who is selling the camera", and "what market is that dealer targeting". If the majority of sales is done through high end dealers (and it's not), than those dealers will demand from the manufacturers more high end models with more advanced (and manual) features.

If your dealers are major box houses (like Best Buy), they tell the manufacturers what they would buy. If their buyers don't like your product, they go elsewhere.

And than they must consider, "at what price point can you sell the most cameras? Once that's determined, "how many features can we include in a camera that will sell at a given price"? The answers to all these questions is determined by the largest demographic market they can capture. Clearly this is about volume sales, and not niche markets.
  18. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I guess I'm a soccer mom. Who knew!?!?!?

I have a dream camera but its not technologically possible at this point, as I understand you can't really do a silent shutter with an interchangeable lens system. And I don't see HOW you'd be able to do an X100 type hybrid EVF/OVF with interchangeable lenses either. So I have two compromise "almost dream" cameras and the epl3 is pretty much one of them. The other one would be an X100 with a flip up screen and the new higher bar in AF speed, in addition to everything else it currently has. And maybe with a 28mm FOV rather than 34mm, but I'm really fine with 34 so I'd buy it if they just added the flip screen and speed up the AF.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I see no reason why each of the camera makers can't make a model to appease the crazed enthusiasts. Surely there are people who buy Leicas, Mamiyas, Hasselblads, full frame Canikons, etc.

No one here is suggesting that Panolympus cease production of their entry and mid-point m4/3 (or point and shoots). Make a model that has everything that everyone could want. And make it just barely affordable (or even just out of reach). Continue making great $400-$800 cameras, but give us something to aspire to in addition to the marginally improved (virtually identical) new models every 9 months.
  20. jeanba3000

jeanba3000 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 11, 2011
    Paris, France
    A little bit off topic : I dream of a digital Rolleiflex with a 56x56 mm sensor 8)

In topic : I dream of a trio of high grade tilt-shift lenses for my ยต4/3 Olympus, like 12, 20 and 45 mm