1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thom Talks OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nueces snapper, Feb 8, 2012.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

2. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Geez, sounds like Thom needs a nap

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Reads as pretty balanced to me, in contrast to all the hyperventilating by forum posters around the web. I think he did miss one thing, though. He says "that the best autofocus tracking will only occur if the camera is used at maximum frame rate." Clearly wrong, since Oly's specs say "Up to 9fps shooting (4.2 fps with continuous AF)"

Frankly, I'm not sure what I'd need to shoot at 9 fps other than sports, which is where I most want continuous AF.

4. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Seems that Thom based his article on a spec sheet.

Pekka Potka had a hands-on preview, a very good one.

Phoblographer also had one, but they looked like they were asleep at the desk or hungover.

Photographyreview was sent a camera without a battery (perhaps to let them see the camera but not shoot a pre-prod model)

Pekka is expecting a camera in 2 weeks, looking forward to that one.

5. robknight

robknight Mu-43 Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely. The article was fine, just a bit snarky.

The write ups and videos from people who have at least held the camera are (in my opinion) much more interesting and relevant.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Unless something horrible comes to light when this camera is actually in the hands of good reviewers I can't see how m4/3 photo gear heads can NOT have one. Given my caveat I would simply become somewhat depressed every time I picked up my EP3 to go shoot knowing the OM-D was available. :wink:

Yes I'm being a little silly but this camera is a giant leap ahead to my mind. Just looking at it next to the EP3 in Potka's review gets every GAS nerve in me vibrating. And I'm not a 'looks are important' camera person. I'm a functionality slut.

Look at those dials, that thumb grip, those ACCESSORIES !, for st. Adam's sake look at the lack of a fiddly dial around the four way controller !!!.

I will NOT preorderI will NOT I will NOT I will NOT preorderI will NOT preorderI will NOT preorderI WON'T.....

and 5 axis IBIS
    and weather sealing
    and splash resistant
    and so compact
    and so cute
    I may even come to like the funny looking bump
    :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

7. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
  8. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Certainly a major step forward compared to other Olys, but not a clearly a jump compared to the GH2. It offers some things the GH2 doesn't, but also lacks some things Panasonic includes. My personal feelings:

In most respects it's only catching up to the GH2. For me, there are only 2 things that might motivate me to switch: if the IBIS is really as effective as Oly claims (and the phrasing "maximum of 5 stops" makes me wonder) and if C-AF tracking is dramatically better.

Otherwise, most of the things its fans are touting don't mean much to me. Weather sealing? I've owned cameras with weather sealing from submersible to none, and never had any issues with any of them. If I were a professional PJ or sports photog who had to stand in the rain and take pictures it would be different, but I'm not. I've shot with non-sealed EOS cameras in a light drizzle with no issues at all. And since there's only one weather-sealed lens at the moment, the benefits of a weather-sealed camera are limited, at best.

Magnesium body? OK, but again, I'm not a PJ who's banging my cameras around while chasing soldiers, presidents or movie stars. I've never broken a camera body, of any construction. I take care of my gear, and expect my GH2 to be around for years to come.

For me, the multi-aspect sensor of the GH2 is more valuable than weather sealing or the magnesium body, since I mostly shoot in 3:2.

Controls? Way better than the Pens, for sure. I'd say, on balance, comparable to the GH2, but we really don't know for sure how it will all work in practice. I will give kudos to Oly for allowing a much wider range of options on the programmable buttons, but it seems the touchscreen will still be needed more often than on the GH2.

I wouldn't use this camera much without the large grip, and I don't like that to use the grip the entire camera gets bigger. Why that 1/2" slice added to the bottom? There doesn't seem to be any functional reason for it at all. For my use, the vertical grip probably isn't something I'd be willing to pay for.

And while some will sneer, I find a built-in flash handy. I got some shots of my son and his girlfriend last weekend that I wouldn't have gotten without a little bit of flash, and if I had to carry a separate piece around I probably wouldn't have had it with me. Panasonic managed to fit an EVF, flash and stereo mics in a hump that's smaller than the one on the OMD.

Oh, and I really have never quite gotten the point of the tilting LCD. Don't Oly users ever shoot low angle portrait format pictures?

I'm glad to see Oly stepping up, and it looks like a very good camera. But hardly the revolutionary product some Oly lovers seem to think it is. Like I said, if IBIS and AF actually live up to Oly's claims I'll consider one, but compared to the GH2 it gives up some capabilities, too. In all honesty, the GH2 does pretty much everything I need it to, so I'll wait for the GH3 and then decide if either that or the OMD offer enough advantages to make it worth spending my money, or if I'll wait for the E-PM6 or GH4 to upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    He did seem to be a bit grumpy... maybe let down after reading all the hype. I think the O-MD offers significant enhancements over the PENs and offers a decent value when looking at the other options.

I do agree with Thom on one thing - I really, really wish they would have done away with the accessory port below the hotshoe, so that the hump could have been half of the height. I can see where you would lose the pyramid aesthetics, would probably have to be flat, but I would take that and a dumb hotshoe any day over a pointy pyramid that looks like jacket pocketable is no longer an option.

Wow, I am now sounding grumpy. I still like the camera a lot, but I *love* the size of my E-P3.

10. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I don't like the hump either. I like flush sides so it's easier and more secure to pack in bags. It would be better either to have the accessory port in the middle and EVF on the side, or vice versa as suggested in the article.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I am trying to restrain myself in these threads because I have a couple of obvious conflicts of interest (owning this site and posting affiliate links for pre-orders being the chief ones).

However, with that disclosure out of the way, everything I've learned about this camera has me s***-eating happy about it:
    • The camera is flat out beautiful and evokes my fond recollection of the OM-2N
    • For the first time since the E-P1, we have a "current" sensor in a camera with body image stabilization
    • Flip OLED (which I prefer to a flip-twist one)
    • Best in class touchscreen implementation like my E-P3 with the option to occasionally go to the EVF with eye sensor activation
    • Muted, pleasing shutter sound (go to 3:12 in the Endgadget preview below to hear)
    • Improvements made to 3D tracking, a weakness of mirrorless cameras to date

I personally can find nothing to be unhappy about with this camera. Maybe part of that is because, unlike Thom, I completely ignored the rumors about "groundbreaking" this or that. Whether those leaks come from Olympus marketing or elsewhere, they have proven to be BS in the past (notably with the E-P3), so I paid them no mind this go around.

[ame="http://www.viddler.com/v/57d6542d"]"Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds camera preview" - Videos - Viddler@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.viddler.com/player/57d6542d@@AMEPARAM@@57d6542d[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Nothing to be unhappy about? I'm crying buckets over the loss of the built-in flash! :tongue:

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    For me, this an oxymoron "Hogan" and "article worth a look" don't go together, and are polar opposites, IMO anyway :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think I've used my E-P3 flash even once. It's like the ash tray in my car except I can't store change in it :smile:.

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK. I did what I know I shouldn't have done, and that was I began reading Thom's article. I didn't get past "there's been a lot of pre-hype and announce hype on what effectively is Olympus' G3 competitor" -- really? Is the G3 weather sealed? Does it have the grip? This is not a G3 competitor. G3, OMD and GH are all different cameras. OMD is a new niche within the m43 family.

I'll have to consider whether to keep reading or not...

16. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    The only time I use it is as a wireless flash trigger, so I can live with it being separate. I'll just bring it along with the main flash unit when needed :)

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    IMO, Thom was too generous. The OM-D bit is a gimmick, and not a particularly bright one considering they're cheapening one of the most beloved camera series ever made to get a quick marketing boost. The OM series was all about basics: excellent mechanics, excellent controls and excellent optics. Micro 4/3 is an entirely different ball of wax, and no amount of clever marketing can change that.

DH

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    He meant the non-faux-rangefinder cameras. Mirrorless w/builtin EVF. And realistically, the G3 is the primary example of that right now within m4/3.

DH

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The GH series fits that, and is closer IMO to the OMD. Especially if the OMD has the grip attached.

My last comment on Thom -- he seems like he's a frustrated guy who wants to run a company. His article goes on to take to task Oly marketing, and what he thinks they should do with benefits statements. Thom has claimed on other boards that he has access to enough capital to buy or start a camera company. Well do it, then, and stop being a critic of everyone else.

OK. Off my soapbox now, and I'll stop commenting on his piece. I think Pekka Potka's preview was a lot more informative and helpful than Thom's.

20. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Hmm, I'd say the GH2, not the G3.