Thom Hogan reviews the E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Olympus E-P3 Review | byThom sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

He's been using the Pens since they first came out. Most of what he says has been said before, but it's nice to have the perspective of somebody who photographs in the wild for a living.

Like him, I've been puzzled with Olympus' approach to controls. Why exactly is it that the layout on every generation of Pen seems to change? Makes it rather confusing to say the least.

2. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Pretty much my observations..

And that's the thing about all the mirrorless cameras: they aren't a full system camera (e.g. Nikon D3s), nor are they a compact camera (e.g. Coolpix). They're compromise cameras. No matter which one you pick, there will be things that you're compromising. So far, the different camera makers have been compromising different things, which might make your choice easy or tough.
  3. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    And here's what he had to eventually say after that paragraph..

I can say that overall I remain pleased with my Pen cameras and have gotten shots with them I wouldn't have gotten with something else. I have to take more care about some things than I'd like, but I don't mind that too much for the benefits I get: small, light and competent. My earlier Pens made it through drops, blizzards, sand storms, elephant charges, bouncing around in planes and vehicles, and a host of other challenges. Some of the other mirrorless cameras I've tried didn't survive as well (my original Sony NEX-5 is a sad-looking hunk, done in by a horse ride and a rock climb on which my Panasonic GF1 and Olympus E-P2 came through unscathed).
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    To paraphrase the great bard..... "the reviewer doth protest too much"
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    E-P3 = "Recommended" :smile:
    Nikon D3100 = "NOT Recommended" :wink:
  6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I simple don't bother with this guy ... I just go out and shoot with the E-P3 using my favorite lenses (Oly or Pany) whilst using the added features on the camera.
    He adds nothing a skilled photographer already knows about his E-P3. :rofl:
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I think his complaints about handling are well justified.

I'm also surprised that he did not complain about the concept of different views showing different shooting information. For example, I want to see the electronic level and the histogram at the same time, but I can't do this with the E-P3. This makes the camera feel incredibly dated compared to its competitors.
  8. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Heh. They're a lot less of a compromise than any Coolpix! :rofl:

That is the case with every camera ever made.
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Been complaining about the same thing since the E-P2. I'm not sure whether they can't do it using the current tech, or they just don't care.

The other annoying thing is that you still can't get away with using only the EVF. Even if the EVF is enabled for shooting, hitting the playback or menu button activates the rear LCD. Not helpful.