1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Thom Hogan Rags on Olympus AND Panasonic

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nueces snapper, Dec 26, 2011.

1. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fair point, but then again the only reason for writing the article is because there actually are two companies who share a compatible lens mount, which puts them in a company of one. I'm still amazed that we have even that. It might be too much to ask them to hold hands and declare their love for one another.

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Olympus and Panasonic are idiots for not flaunting their compatible lens mount. The general camera buying public think they're both using separate mounts.

4. stillshunter

stillshunter Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    Well I think:
    1. Olympus' trend towards silver lenses for their premium offerings, which look a little out of place on Panasonic's non-silver bodies (and mainly black), and
    2. Panasonic's lenses making all manner of commotion on PEN bodies - e.g., PL25 rattlesnake.
    ...are good indicators of the love between our companies.

Rivals? No
    Friends? Doesn't appear so
    Competitors? Most definitely!

So hats off to Thom for calling it as it is :thumbup:

5. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    They need to do a joint ad like peanut butter cups ...

You got your Olympus on my Panasonic ... You got your Panasonic on my Olympus ...

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Holding hands, no problem.
    Declaration of love? Maybe.
    Kissing in public? I don't think so...

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Just for the record,
    Thom Hogan also "rags" on Nikon too....

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes.
    Olympus & Panasonic for a couple of years had the only market in small, interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras but arguably did little in capitalizing on it with advertising.

Olympus arguably doesn't have the $$$ do to much advertising but Panasonic certainly does.....

9. Who was hating Nikon in this thread?

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Copy that - I'll delete & save for later...:smile:

11. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not to sure but RT Panther said this

Straight after that he said this

Go Figure?

Nikon finds it way into everything. Nikon thanks you Panther for the advertising in this thread

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Best take-away from Hogan's analysis....Definitely the hard truth...

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I see you found room to continue....:wink:

14. It seems to me that while P & O don't seem too interested in the multiply-or-die theory of corporate survival, there's still a list as long as my arm of m4/3 cameras and lenses that I've still yet to try and possibly buy. Where's the CSC product range of the big marketers TH mentions? A few years away? What if I want to be taking pictures now?

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hmmm...
    You know what would be really cool?

Imagine a commericial with Panasonic & Olympus bodies....& Panasonic & Olympus lenses....Then, the actors/actresses in the commercial do total swaps...put an Olympus lens on a Panasonic body then put a Panasonic lens on an Olympus body....simultaneously showing frames of pictures shot with both combinations....

The commercial then concludes with an actor/actress saying "Micro Four Thirds....the best choices, the best shots...while one holds an Olympus body/lens & the other holds a Panasonic body/lens..."

:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I think Hogan's right on track. And to add to it, I don't think either company does an effective job in marketing the m4/3 system. I certainly didn't hear about it though any material they put out.
    "Open standards" is a very big buzz phrase, it's amazing to me that they don't cooperate in pushing that side of m4/3.

17. nueces snapper

Yes yes yes. It's dumfounding how poorly they have marketed m4/3. It's truly beyond comprehending. :confused:

18. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've even seen adverts for the V1 on posters in shopping centres. Panasonic must just use word of mouth or something?

When you guys on the top of the world say 'Nikon' how do you pronounce it? Do you pronounce the 'i' sound like the 'i' in Nike or the 'i' in tick?

19. nueces snapper

At this point I'm very reticent to buy any Pany lens as I don't want to get stuck with incompatibility. Partial though it might be.

While we're on the subject... Will my VF2 work on a pany m4/3 body?

20. nueces snapper

nykon