Thom Hogan Opines on the Native Lenses

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The Nikkor 55/1.2 went out of production decades ago, never made it into an AIS release. You are thinking of the 50/1.2, 7 elements in 6 groups. The 55/1.2 is 7 elements in 5 groups. The "T" stop of the 55/1.2 is slightly better than both the 50/1.2 and 58/1.2, both 7 elements in 6 groups.
Yes, you are right, it is 50mm and not 55mm f/1.2 still in production... http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php?pid=136-1d3d4b0c4

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Maybe things were different in other parts of the world, but in the US- it was a great time to buy classic equipment.
I note the emphasis on 'was' and also when you were referring to the Noct-Nikkor for $800 I also thought you meant new.

It is unlikely that Nikon will ever be doing that lens again in any form although they may do a conventional 50mm f/1.2 AF lens one day. Going by the stupid prices of the stuff like the 35mm f/1.4, it won't be a $800 lens. Quite frankly, I cannot figure out Nikon's strategy in lenses these days.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Del's listed the Noct-Nikkor 58/1.2 new for ~$1200 in 1991. Mint-Used, was under $1,000. EX condition at Del's was $725. KEH was even less. The prices were a bit more than the Canon Aspherical lens. The Canon lens is still a reasonable price.

Historical note on the 55/1.2 Nikkor-S: it is Nikon's first lens to receive multicoated surfaces. The rear surfaces were multicoated, phased into the production in the late 1960s. This is before the "SC" designation was used. 55/1.2 Lenses with the "SC" designation were fully multicoated. The 28/2 and 35/1.4 also received multicoated surfaces before the designation switch to add "C".

Some of this made be dig out my 1962 Nikon Price List. Most expensive Nikon lens in that line-up, the 1000/6.3. $1650.

Of course, I just spent the morning disassembling and cleaning an Uncoated 1936 5cm F1.5 Sonnar in Contax mount. It will be Leica mount before I am done with it. Strange how my taste in equipment changed over the past decades.

My 55/1.2 AI Series Nikkor on the F2AS, next to my favorite "user" Nikon.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/1581506355/" title="Nikon SP and Nikon F2AS: Favorite Nikons. by anachronist_user, on Flickr">View attachment 154110"500" height="391" alt="Nikon SP and Nikon F2AS: Favorite Nikons." /></a>

And another favorite.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/1582237536/" title="Nikon F2 with DE-1, and an Ad from 1973 by anachronist_user, on Flickr">View attachment 154111"500" height="391" alt="Nikon F2 with DE-1, and an Ad from 1973" /></a>

Someday I will have to line up all of the Nikons in that picture.

$100 used to go a long way at a camera store.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/3089702557/" title="nikonf_64 by anachronist_user, on Flickr">View attachment 154112"500" height="391" alt="nikonf_64" /></a>

Nikon's other 58mm lens.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldcamerapictures/3090547216/" title="nikon_f_1 by anachronist_user, on Flickr">View attachment 154113"500" height="371" alt="nikon_f_1" /></a>

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, Ken Rockwell writes himself:

Source

I had understood his writings as pieces of humor with some truth in them before I read his about page.
Some are good. There are people I know personally who could really stand to read:

It's Not About Your Camera

- and/or -

Your Camera Doesn't Matter

In fact I re-read these two occasionally, especially when new fancy gear comes out. They don't always make the gear acquisition syndrome go away, but sometimes they help. A little.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Some are good. There are people I know personally who could really stand to read:

It's Not About Your Camera

- and/or -

Your Camera Doesn't Matter

In fact I re-read these two occasionally, especially when new fancy gear comes out. They don't always make the gear acquisition syndrome go away, but sometimes they help. A little.
Ken always gets very hyped up about things; however, he also often simplifies things a bit too much or leaves out a few details. On another note, Ansel Adams did use Photoshop, or what was effectively the same thing of the day. His photography, processing and printing techniques were very much the same as using Photoshop today; every step of his photography was controlled and contrived, to suit what he wanted to achieve. The prints he produced weren't a result of auto everything and then get them printed at the local K Mart. He was a master of B&W photography.

Cheers

Ray

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
Ken always gets very hyped up about things; however, he also often simplifies things a bit too much or leaves out a few details.
'
'
Ray
Oh, make no mistake, I think he's often guilty on both counts. The over-the-top enthusiasm that seems to be his style can make reading his posts a little difficult, and if his writing style is indicative of his personality, I would probably find him let's say, too energetic to be around much in person.

I still think that he makes good points sometimes (like most people don't really NEED more megapixels; the gear you have is less important than your use of it, etc.)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I agree on that point. Some of the best photography I've done has been with my E1 and really big prints have come out great. A lot of it has to do with a state of mind. Next year I hope to be able to relax and do a lot more of what I was able to do when I got my E1 so many years ago.

Cheers

Ray

walt_tbay

Mu-43 Veteran
I recently purchased this lens on eBay for $560, but haven't had a chance to put it through its paces. The auto focus works on my EP1 because I have the Olympus 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. Oddly, the same combo doesn't autofocus on my GF1. I assume I'll have to purchase the Panasonic version of the adapter to get the autofocus function, but haven't looked into it that closely. The lens is somewhat larger than the 14-140 Panasonic zoom. From my limited use of the lens, it seems to work quite well and renders sharp images. I'll post some examples in the next few weeks, once I have a chance to take some shots with it.
Here's a photo taken with an EP1 and the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm @14mm from a balcony over looking the south side of my home town.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom